Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a K&N air filter and I noticed that there is a another paper element
on the throttle side of the plastic air box. Does this filter need to be changed also to get the full benifit of the free flowing K&N? If so, how do I go about removeing it? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Its a carbon filter to keep gas fumes from exiting the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
You will get more resonance with a long tube CAI. (Better perfomance too, which = better milage, just try to keep yor foot out of it!-It aint easy) Tim

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Just remember that you have to clean the K&N. I just took mine out and it's gunked up pretty good. It's lifetime but you do have to keep it clean.

·
Registered
538 Posts
No, you don't. K&N says to let it get dirty...does not harm the flow. Clean it every 40 to 50K miles
From experience, I believe it varies upon conditions in your location. I live in the dust bowl/desert of west Texas with majority of street and highway driving. I tossed my drop-in K&N after 6k miles after discovering a stalactite of greasy build up on the underside of the filter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts