Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2005 WRX, 2013 FJ TT, 2020 RX350 FSport
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty simple install, about 30 mins total. I used a 2” rubber grommet to get a snug fit and just wired them to the existing mirror lights. It looks so much better now both on and off.

Next I’m going to try figuring out the wiring to reduce the power and hook them up to the blinkers so they’re dimmer when on and brighter as turn signals.
Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the actual light I used. You need to get two.
Cyclone V2 LED - Single Light - Amber Lens - 5W Flood Beam
https://a.co/d/6Pf1w5D

Here is the rubber grommet.

2grommet__77314.1605040120.380.380.jpg
[URL='https://www.raneystruckparts.com/rubber-grommets-black-2-round/']Rubber Grommets Black 2" Round
raneystruckparts.com
[/URL]
After disassembly of the mirror (remove mirror, black housing, unplug actual light and remove the entire piece), the most time consuming part is squeezing the cyclone light into the grommet. Easiest way I found was to fit the grommet into the mirror hole first, then push the light into the grommet and keep adjusting until flush.

After this, I just spliced the + and - into the existing wiring. Both look identical so just use a meter to find out which is +.

I think it a bit too bright, so im trying to find out how to dim this now.

Can I just splice in a resistor? Is that how it works?

· Registered
683 Posts
Thanks. I’ve ordered a pair. I’ll have to find an alternate source for the grommets as they want $45 to ship two rubber bits to Canada.

For dimming, you can try a resistor, but some LEDs are full brightness or off so require a PWM dimmer to reduce brightness. There are cheap small 12V LED PWM dimmers on Amazon that would do the trick and fit inside the mirror housing. Another option maybe some black spray on tint to the glass/plastic lens of the light. It’s called “lens tint spray” and it comes in a spray paint can.

· Registered
683 Posts
I got mine, but I’ve decided I’ll sell them. They are too yellow for my taste. I should have noted that from the pics in this thread :(

I did hook them up to my bench power supply and they are dimmable down to 7V or so… a resistor should work to lower the brightness. They are insanely bright at 13v.

I prefer a more orange look which I am currently getting with amber replacement LEDs in the stock housing.
I’ve painted over my mirror light lenses with a smoked lens spray paint for a blacked out look when the lights are off and it also subdues the light output so they are not overly bright.

Vehicle registration plate Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Vehicle registration plate Plant Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, I think they’re too yellow. I’m wondering if I can stick on some red clear vinyl to make them more orange. I might do that on the inside of the lense cover. I also got a kit that I will wire to make them turn signals.

Do u have any more pics of ur truck? Looks really nice from what I can see!

· Registered
683 Posts
I agree, I think they’re too yellow. I’m wondering if I can stick on some red clear vinyl to make them more orange. I might do that on the inside of the lense cover. I also got a kit that I will wire to make them turn signals.

Do u have any more pics of ur truck? Looks really nice from what I can see!
Sure… here are a couple more… before the sliders went on…

Wheel Tire Automotive carrying rack Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up testing with a piece of clear red vinyl and it fixed it - now it’s orange like the orange parking lights and it matches nicely. I’m going to stick it on the inside of the lens this weekend so the outside still looks orange.

Attachments

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Registered
683 Posts
I ended up testing with a piece of clear red vinyl and it fixed it - now it’s orange like the orange parking lights and it matches nicely. I’m going to stick it on the inside of the lens this weekend so the outside still looks orange.
Where did you find this red vinyl?

I've resurrected my own project... I've got the grommets and I bench tested a number of resistors to reduce the brightness. It seems around 500Ohms inline with the positive lead does the trick. I've also got some wedge bulb pigtails to use to tap into the wiring for the existing mirror light socket. I'm not going for turn-signal integration. My next task is to figure out how to make them orange so the red vinyl is the next thing I need.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where did you find this red vinyl?

I've resurrected my own project... I've got the grommets and I bench tested a number of resistors to reduce the brightness. It seems around 500Ohms inline with the positive lead does the trick. I've also got some wedge bulb pigtails to use to tap into the wiring for the existing mirror light socket. I'm not going for turn-signal integration. My next task is to figure out how to make them orange so the red vinyl is the next thing I need.
I got this

Remove the outer orange lens and stick this inside, so the outside still looks orange.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts