Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the smart answer to this question before I even ask it but I'll ask it anyway. I actually had put down a deposit on an FJ back in March 05' as I flat out loved the thing based on what I'd seen. First vehicle I'd felt that way about in probably 20 years. Plans changed though when I got a killer offer from the same dealer to trade in my 01' Tundra on a new 05' Tundra, fully loaded. I even have a top of the line A.R.E. high rise cap on it.

The deal was such that I only owe about $11k on a $31k vehicle, it will be paid off in about 2.5 years.

I still can't get over the FJ though and I've been in touch with the dealer and am considering putting down another deposit on an FJ with the intent to trade in my Tundra. I know I'm going to go from being in a "great" equity position on the Tundra and basically forego the great deal I got on it and probably end up paying a lot more for the FJ overall than if I waited a year or two. I feel like an idiot as the Tundra is a sublime truck, the best full size on the market. The FJ is kind of "yet to be determined".

Like I say, I know the wise move but what do you guys think?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well, If I already had the Tundra I might stick with that, If you need the extra power and loaded extras the FJ might not be your cup of tea.---I know what you mean though when you talk about being stuned/obsessive about this vehicle, I've never really liked an automobile like this before, ha that sounds really weired.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would go with the FJ cruiser. Frankly if you are trying to decide between a pickup and a wagon bodied vehicle you probably don't really need the capabilities of a full size pickup truck. Besides, the Tundra is Toyota's weakest entry into the light truck segment. I wouldn't say the FJ is unproven, it's on a proven chasis (Toyota Prado/4Runner) and has a proven drive-train. The only part that should be of concern is the interior which really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
mpd8488 said:
...Frankly if you are trying to decide between a pickup and a wagon bodied vehicle you probably don't really need the capabilities of a full size pickup truck...
thats pretty much spot-on. which vehicle suite your needs better? I too love the FJC and the fact that toyota is building it, but the fact is that i dont "need" one and wont for several years until my current ride craps out on me. personally, i would keep the tundra 'till its paid off, maybe another year or so keeping the payments you would be making and putting them in safe keeping to make a nice downpayment on your '10 or '11 FJ Cruiser.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, Corbin. I'm in the same boat. I have an '03 Tundra Limited that'll be paid off by year end. With about 60,000 trouble free miles, it's the second best truck I've ever owned. (208K on my 98 Taco 4x4....it's a sore subject with the wife). Can't give you advice on your situation, but I'm trading the Tundra for the FJ. I've got one small child and don't haul much. I only drive 10 miles a day to and from work, including the daycare. Don't offroad as much as I used to, but when I do I'd like the simplicity of the FJ interior plus the cargo space without having to add a camper. Locking rear diff option is a must (wish I'd had it on the Taco more than once). I'll wait until mid to late '06 when hopefully availability will be easier, maybe longer to see what options are added later.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Corbin,
I'd keep the Tundra at this point. I've been waiting for the FJ to come along, so I understand your pain. I'm using a 96 LC as my daily driver. I have 172K on it and it still runs like a champ. Only owing 11K gives you motivation to pay it off, so you can step into the FJ after a couple of years of no payment. I'm going to let my son in college use the LC for the next couple of years. This gives me a good excuse to keep it in the family and not have to sell it off. Like said earlier, it also depends on your needs. What a dilemma to have..... Enjoy the pain. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
EJR said:
Corbin,
I'd keep the Tundra at this point. I've been waiting for the FJ to come along, so I understand your pain. I'm using a 96 LC as my daily driver. I have 172K on it and it still runs like a champ. Only owing 11K gives you motivation to pay it off, so you can step into the FJ after a couple of years of no payment. I'm going to let my son in college use the LC for the next couple of years. This gives me a good excuse to keep it in the family and not have to sell it off. Like said earlier, it also depends on your needs. What a dilemma to have..... Enjoy the pain. Good luck.[/QUOTE

Besides you will never go wrong waiting a year or two, the problems will be worked out, dealer will no longer be charging premium, and there will be more options.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Keep your truck. It is more vehicle. FJ's will be a premium prices. Vehicles are terrible investments. Any vehicle that is mass producted today isn't a collectible item. Two years from now FJ's will be a dime a dozen, all the bugs will be worked out and you will get a better deal... that is if you still want an SUV.

Excellent job on paying it off fast! Keep it up! Revolving debit... blah! Financing is just another way to keep you in debit and the dealership making cash after the sale.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have to agree with DocAltie. I had an '04 Tundra until my wife got T-Boned in it by a Chevy Astro van going at least 40MPH. She and my daughter walked away with just a couple of bruises and some tears. The two month old $35K Tundra was totaled. The impact was on the driver's side door and front pillar. You can't beet a rock solid truck that's almost paid for. If dealerships try to mark up the FJC I may just have to buy another one. But I don't know about all this FJC hype. How many people do you know that have actually heard of an FJ Crusier? I've started asking friends and no one knows about this thing. And I don't think the demand for this things is going to be as great as some thing. Hmm, maybe I'll haggle for a below MSRP deal.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Forgot to mention, there were no side curtain airbags in the Tundra and the woman that ran the red light in the Chevy Asshole van spent a week in ICU.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I can feel your pain, even though my truck isn't new. I have decided that I will be keeping my full size truck. It's just too much to drive on a daily basis. 9 mpg is killing me. So when my FJ comes along, the truck will live in the garage until it is needed for hauling, towing, what have you. But, my truck is more than paid for. It's old and likes abuse. It has spent the last 4 consecutive weekends moving friends. 3 different friends. You just can't beat the bed space on a full size truck for moving stuff. It can hold a hide-a-bed sofa, a lazy boy recliner a full size kitchen table and all the chairs and still have space for the futon bed. You won't get that with the FJ. But, I can't road trip my truck, we would NEVER get there and we'd go broke trying. So I can't wait for the FJ. Now, if I owed $11K on my truck - I wouldn't even be thinking about the FJ because I know I would want to add things too it and that would get WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, way too fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts