Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Keep stock look, but fix body sway, nose dive, acceleration squat?

I have a TT SE and like the stock look and height. I guess I'm one of the odd ones that likes the bunny stance. :shrug03:

What I would like to address is the body sway, nose dive, and acceleration squat issues. I would like to keep the ride comfy but controlled.

The FJ is my daily driver. The worst it will probably see is a gravel road with pot holes and perhaps some snow play.

After doing some reading, I really like the King suspension but I believe this is way over kill for what I want, so I'm looking for suggestions. Remember, I don't want to lift my FJ or level it. I like the stock look.

Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Many adjustable coilovers can be cranked down to deliver 0 inches of lift. My Swayaways are cranked to 3 inches of lift and i get minimal dive during braking and much more controllable body roll. I would suggest just picking up a OME med lift. It is cheap and handles much better than stock. You will still get some body roll and dive, but significantly less than stock. It only lifts it a couple inches and keeps the stock rake.

I know you don't plan on any offroading but i dont think you will be able to resist. You did buy your FJ for reasons other than looks alone? right? :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Toytec's new adjustable coilovers would be what I would do if I were in your situation.

They're a very nicely priced (~$700) set of adjustable coilovers. I have *very little* brake dive and corner lean compared to stock. They look good, too.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Its the nature of the beast. The FJ is a heavy vehicle and will drive as such. I don't think that you will be able to do too much without "stiffening" the ride. You may help the side to side by increasing the diameter of the swaybars, going to a lower profile tire (to reduce sidewall roll) but I think you will be hard pressed to find many options that will keep the stock ride but get the driving characteristics you are looking for.

I would advise an adjustable system as the others above suggested, you will have a better chance to get it "tuned" to your liking...

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
One solution would be to purchase a set of coil overs that let you adjust the dampening. Keep your stock height but adjust the rate at which the shock travels. Fox and Walker Evans are two brands that I know that have adjustable dampening.

I'm not sure about the TRD front shocks but that might help too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
For nose dive a set of COs woudl do the trick. It will also help for side to side roll. The nice thing is that you can adjust most fo them for height you want in the front (0-3) on most of them. SAW has some 2.0" COs at attractive pricing and I think Toytec sells Billie shock COs at a good price as well. Make sure they can go down to 0 lift though. Try to get COs with 650lb coils as they will be stiffer than the stock coils to help reduce nose dive.

Another thing you can do is to get 03+ 4WD 4Runner frotn and rear swaybars with the bushings. Teh front is a bit thicker and the rear is substantially thicker. Thsi will improve your side to side sway by quite a bit.

I don't think you will recognize your FJC's handling with COs and upgraded swaybars. However it will come at the expense of a bit firmer ride on road and stiffer flex offroad (but you wont notice that on gravel roads and snow).

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm OK with giving up a little bit of the cushy ride in order to get rid of some of the drive and sway.

I was thinking that the Toytec's adjustable coilovers would be the way to go, but was concerned when I read this:

ToyTec Lifts previously said:
There is some info about these I would like to post. We determined some of these were shipped set lower than 2" front lift. It seems the clerance with the sway bar at a lower setting is a lot closer than we expected ...

Go4aRyd previously said:
What does this really mean? It seems to imply that these adjustable coilovers are really only suited for an adjustment of 2-3" and not suited for stock height due to the sway bar (even with the relocation brackets)?

Doug/Kirt, can you clarify for us?

ToyTec Lifts:
The clearance between the swaybar definitely is tight if they are going to be adjusted under 2" front lift. (not sure why anyone would want to set them at stock height anyway.)
The clearance seems to be different on some of the FJ's. On Dons FJ and our 4Runner there is definitely enough clearance to adjust them down to the end of the thread.
This appears to indicate that you can't really use them at stock height. And I really do want to maintain the stock rake as I don't like the level/lifted look.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You may help the side to side by increasing the diameter of the swaybars.

I read on another forum (looking for the link but can't find it) about the sway bar.
The newer 4Runner have pretty much same suspension set up as the Fj. Their front sway bars are a bit thicker(1 or 2 mm). Bolts rightup. But you will need two new bushings, not sure of the bushing mounts.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
OK I found the link here is the info.
Toyota 120 Platforms Forum - View Single Post - Front swaybar trick on 4R

This 4runner owner did the reversed. He wanted a less stiffer ride so he swapped in FJC sway bars and bushing.

4WD 4R swaybar is 30mm
FJC (and 2WD 4Runner) is 29mm.

by Mikestang
although it's only 1mm thicker, the 4R bar is 115% more torsionally rigid than the FJ bar, or the FJ bar 12.7% less torsionally rigid than the 4R bar.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
One problem with increasing roll stiffness in the front (thicker roll ball) is that you will also increase understeer. This is something the FJ doesn't need. You would need to make a coresponding increase in the rear roll stiffness. To some degree you could work around the problem with tire pressure, but that only goes so far.

Spring rate and shock valving is probably a better solution.

This 4runner owner did the reversed. He wanted a less stiffer ride so he swapped in FJC sway bars and bushing.

4WD 4R swaybar is 30mm

·
Registered
333 Posts

4WD 4R swaybar is 30mm
Yep, I said it in a post in this thread a little earlier.

The rear swaybar on the 4WD 4Runner is 21mm vs the 17mm on the FJC, quite a difference and will help a lot. Once you see the swaybars and the difference in person it will make you undestand whu it will help a lot.
Rear swaybar trick on 4R - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

You only need to replace the bushings and swaybar. Everything else (brackets/links) fits.

I think fitting the 4Runner swaybars front and rear will make a substantial improvement on the FJC on road handling.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
any know person have done this swap??
I am interestedin doing it.
Anyone know the part numbers for the 4R sway bar(s) and bushings.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What about off road high speed like a baja senerio? I can get my body rolling like a ship and looking to damper that a bit. I'm not big on cimbing rocks or flex.

Great stuff guys

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Good stuff!

I'm currently thinking about the Fox 2.0" front coil-overs suggested earlier. These would allow me to run stock height (0" adjusted) and be able to control the dampening for ride comfy.

I also want to get the matching 2" rear Fox set, but these don't appear to be adjustable and would raise the rear 2". Could I use my existing springs or perhaps substitute a different one for the one supplied with the Fox set, but a little stiffer than my existing one, and maintain the stock height? (sorry I'm a total noob)

I also like the idea of updating to the 4R sway bars. Any idea what that would cost?

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I also like the idea of updating to the 4R sway bars. Any idea what that would cost?
I did some rough estimate. Front & Rear sway and four bushings= @$250 + S&H.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts