Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After just having had my tricked-out Jeep Sahara stolen :mad: from the municipal airport parking lot (it was next to a Hummer and Mercedes) what anti-theft strategies will you employ to keep your much desired "precious"?

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
There was, and maybe still is, a company making a device that shuts fuel off so that the perps can get about 25 of so feet before the fuel runs out. The thought is that this creates a very obvious traffic issue; hence attention and after a certain distance you can charge grand theft also. If it's still out there I'll look at that.
Has anyone used the thing that the police like? Some sort of on demand gps....

·
Registered
140 Posts
50,000 volts to the door handels does the trick quite nicely.. can even use the bodys as a step to enter your vehical to leave where you left it...LOL

·
Registered
249 Posts
I saw a theft deterrent once that was actually legal- in south africa i think it was-it was a system that mounts under the doors- in the running board area- blasts out big huge flames both sides if anyone approaches. I think i'm going with that.:mad:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Downside to the picture idea, you will have a keyed car within about 15 minutes. Oh wait maybe that's a W04 sticker can't remember now. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like the gun rack idea, although here in LA (where CaliFJ and I are located) that would probably get it stolen even faster!

Remember that old commercial with a uniformed cop saying, "I recommend The Club." What a priceless, cheeseball commercial. But heck, everyone had one in their car for a while. I have to admit that I too was lured in by the seemingly Fort Knox lockdown capabilities mentioned in the commercial. Then I saw a news report with teenage car thieves showing 10 different ways to get around one and quit using it. I guess they would make a thief go to another car just out of a pain in the butt factor, but with a 4x4 like this usually the thief knows what he wants and will just circumvent The Club.

I feel for you tectorgorch because 4x4's are hot commodities anywhere near the Mexican border like San Diego, and even stretching up to LA. The thieves just take 'em over the border and they sell like hot cakes.

BTW, how well do hotcakes actually sell?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Smith & Wesson - the .500 ought to do the trick.

STmonster_1103C.jpg

You can run, but you'll die tired.

·
Registered
434 Posts
P.S. - Have an electrical shut off switch mounted somewhere that you can control with a second remote. Then no one can start it. Period...

Cruiserdude...

·
Registered
124 Posts
tectorgorch said:
After just having had my tricked-out Jeep Sahara stolen :mad: from the municipal airport parking lot (it was next to a Hummer and Mercedes) what anti-theft strategies will you employ to keep your much desired "precious"?

Make sure your insurance is paid. My thoughts are if someone is determined to steal a car, no anti-theft device in the world is flawless. A friend of mine who is a cop busted 2 individuals stealing cars with a tow truck.

·
Registered
552 Posts
VeilsideGS4 said:
Make sure your insurance is paid. My thoughts are if someone is determined to steal a car, no anti-theft device in the world is flawless. A friend of mine who is a cop busted 2 individuals stealing cars with a tow truck.
Maybe you can't stop them but you can use low jak and find them. I think we would all want to see who tries to steal our FJ and "talk" to them.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Yeah, I'd definitely like to axe them something...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Stopping car theft is easy...increase the penalty for commiting the crime. Because the penalty for getting caught is not life in prison and throw away the key, vehicle alarm companies are a thriving business. The last thing they want is a bigger penalty given to car thiefs as it would cut into alarm sales. Lo-jack, steering wheel locks, immobilizers, etc, are a deterrent, but if a thief wants your car they are going to steal it one way or another. If the penalty for getting caught was chopping off the criminals hand(s) in a public square, the business of stealing cars would go from a stream to a trickle. I plan on purchasing a Trunk Monkey!!!

http://www.trunkmonkey.com/
(click on Trunk Monkey #4-Thrown Off A Bridge)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
FJCharlotte said:
I'm gonna tape up pictures of michael moore in the windows when I leave it..that should keep most sane people away...then again since when are auto thiefs sane....

no that would just keep the republicans away and they dont mess with such small amounts they reather steal by the billion via no bid contracts, bribery,and embezzlement.

How about a pic a **** chaney holding a shot gun, that would scare friends and foes alike!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
mini2nut said:
Stopping car theft is easy...increase the penalty for commiting the crime. Because the penalty for getting caught is not life in prison and throw away the key, vehicle alarm companies are a thriving business. The last thing they want is a bigger penalty given to car thiefs as it would cut into alarm sales. Lo-jack, steering wheel locks, immobilizers, etc, are a deterrent, but if a thief wants your car they are going to steal it one way or another. If the penalty for getting caught was chopping off the criminals hand(s) in a public square, the business of stealing cars would go from a stream to a trickle. I plan on purchasing a Trunk Monkey!!!

http://www.trunkmonkey.com/
(click on Trunk Monkey #4-Thrown Off A Bridge)
I'm definitely going to get a variation of that - I'm thinkin' truck monkey might be the ticket.

That, or I'll engineer a laser guided missile defense system one where my truck is constantly being painted by a laser and if someone other than me takes off with it - it warns me to call authorities and report it stolen prior to pressing the fire button. Once it's reported stolen - the missile will take out the truck and the person who stole it. Hey, I pay for insurance for a reason, right?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts