Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello DFW People,

I was talking to Pablo from Tandem Automotive today and he assured me that his shop does undercarriage washes and will be happy to treat any areas under the body on which rust is appearing if you live in a place like me where you cannot do it yourself.

Evidently they are currently doing R&D work on a complete underbody coating but it has not yet come to fruition.

If you want your FJ to live longer than you bring it to Tandem Automotive.

Tandem Automotive - Tandem Automotive

They are pretty fanatical about FJ's and Toyota 4x4's in general.

Only problem is if you're in Dallas they are more in the Ft. Worth area. Pack a lunch and hit the road I say!

Customer service is on a higher level than just about any business I have dealt with in any area.

Very highest recommendation:smile

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you know anyone in the Philadelphia area that is as good as this company. I just paid off my 08 and plan on keeping my FJ for a long time.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you know anyone in the Philadelphia area that is as good as this company. I just paid off my 08 and plan on keeping my FJ for a long time.
Matthew, I was born in Philadelphia and lived in the Philly-Wimington area for most of my youth and adolescence but I have no idea who is good in that area when it comes to Toyota 4x4's.

If you scroll down toward the bottom of the forums list you will find regional forums.

I think this is the URL for your area.

North East Region - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

You will meet lot's of cool people (although I bet a lot of them will be from Western PA) but you need to get up Bucks County way and find yourself some offroading up there (not to mention using the FJ for urban adventures, which is one of the main things I use mine for- no more worries about potholes, curbs or terrible urban roads if you get the right tires ( recommend the BFG K02 AT's which will take anything Philadelphia can throw at them in 275/70/17 E's which fill out the wheel wells slightly better than the stock tires without rubbing or having to spend a ton of money on a lift.

With all due respect to everybody who disagrees, I think the closer you get to major urban areas the more out of place lifted trucks look.

I love going out in the dirt, but there's a lot of dirt and all sorts of obstacles in the city as well. I'll bet you get at least 10 new girlfriends if you head down to University of Pennsylvania way. Talk about an obstacle! Those Penn girls can be tough!

Have a Schmidt's on South Street for me would you? I haven't had one for ages!

Not to mention all the beautiful scenery down around Greenville DE and hit the Jersey Shores too (but not over the weekend in summer unless you like sitting in traffic).

I would go down to Bethany Beach in Delaware also if you want some rough sand driving where it isn't all built up with high rise hotels (at least it didn't used to be-it's kind of rough country and everybody wants to build in South Delaware and North Maryland.

Damn I'm getting nostalgic. I could go on for weeks!

Have fun my friend!:smile

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm in Fort Worth so good to know! :) Might them up eventually.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm in Fort Worth so good to know! :) Might them up eventually.
If you know of a better aftermarket shop in DFW that will also do regular maintenance please let us know.

Toyota of Dallas has Leesha in their service department who is an FJ expert and John and Susan of TRDParts4U in their parts department, all of whom are a huge plus.

Compared to other dealerships in DFW I find Toyota of Dallas to be extremely inexpensive especially if you have a serious 4x4 vehicle. It's like they love working on our vehicles.

On the other hand Toyota of Dallas does not do the undercarriage treatment that Tandem will do.

I am always really torn between the two. I must admit that I really like to support smaller entrepreneurs who give you a real custom service experience.

On the other hand, you have to respect people who call you by your first name at a huge urban dealership when you haven't even been on their lot for the last 6 months. I count at least five such people at Toyota of Dallas even though I've spent less than $1.5k there during the last two years.

Maybe it's because I'm so damn pretty:smile

·
Registered
27 Posts
I saw the thread earlier with that hardcore hole in the frame. Horror.
I'm an 07 so, probably should look into doing something for my frame.
So far, nothing but surface. Had her on the rack yesterday.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
If you know of a better aftermarket shop in DFW that will also do regular maintenance please let us know.

Toyota of Dallas has Leesha in their service department who is an FJ expert and John and Susan of TRDParts4U in their parts department, all of whom are a huge plus.

Compared to other dealerships in DFW I find Toyota of Dallas to be extremely inexpensive especially if you have a serious 4x4 vehicle. It's like they love working on our vehicles.

On the other hand Toyota of Dallas does not do the undercarriage treatment that Tandem will do.

I am always really torn between the two. I must admit that I really like to support smaller entrepreneurs who give you a real custom service experience.

On the other hand, you have to respect people who call you by your first name at a huge urban dealership when you haven't even been on their lot for the last 6 months. I count at least five such people at Toyota of Dallas even though I've spent less than $1.5k there during the last two years.

Maybe it's because I'm so damn pretty:smile
Yeah I have used Toyota of Dallas, or more specifically TRDParts4u and I know they, for the most part, are good to deal with. My personal experience with them has not been all that great. And just too far out the way for me to have to deal with them. I already made an appointment with Tandem Automotive and want to see how they do. I'm hoping for attention to the little things. I have had "professional" work done on my vehicles and sometimes details are not addressed and though seem small at the time, after awhile those details add up. There is a reason I would pay other people to do it, I'm not a professional, but I want professional work, which means clean work with an eye on preventing future problems. So far Tandem seems like nice option so willing to give them a try for some suspension fixes. Fingers crossed! ;)

Beartrax did a nice job with my lift and they really have built some nice rigs. They are not far from Toyota of Dallas. Mike's Off-Road off of 121 fixed a problem I had and did a good job. Both a little pricey though but do nice work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts