Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the local Kenwood car audio shop where I had to buy the iPod adaptor for my DNX7100 install this weekend. I thought that I could use the Kuda harness to plug my iPhone into the unit but it looks like the best option will be the Kenwood unit (KCA-ip300v).

But, the guy, after I pay for it tells me that he doesn't think that the video will work due to Apple not allowing the video signal into "3rd party units". I scratch my head and ask "why would Kenwood make this then if it won't work to bring video into the unit"? He didn't have an answer but he "heard" that it wouldn't work. I ask "then why am I buying it"? If I can't plug my iPod video or iPhone into it, what good is it?

Any of knowledgeable people have any insight on this bit if information? The Kuda mount as RGB outputs that I can only assume I could plug into the DNX7100 input (yellow - video, red/black - audio) but I wouldn't be able to control the iPhone/iPod from the head unit.

Anyway, I guess I'll find out in the morning when I do the install, just found it surprising that the guy would tell me this after I bought it then can't explain why the unit would have a "video input" for the DNX7100 if the video wouldn't work.

Just doesn't make much sense to me...

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I have the DNX7100 and use my iPod video with it using the kenwood video iPod adapter. The video DOES work! Don't think it'll work with the iPhones, but since I don't have one I really can't verify. Kenwood just came out with a firmware update so you can use your iPod touch. I could be wrong, again, because I don't have the touch. Here's a link for the latest firmware for the deck, it came out recently.

Kenwood Corporation / firmware updater

Grats on the new deck! I kind of want the new one that kenwood has coming. Nazar's post on the DNX8120

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I saw the new deck but I got such a good deal on the DNX7100 from FJCruiser audio, I couldn't resist.

From looking at the firmware update, it appears that the iPhone may NOT be compatible since the iTouch is audio only. Might be an "oh well" and a wait and see when they can get the iPhone compatible with the deck. I'll follow up tomorrow after I do the install...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have DNX7100 and a video Ipod. It works just fine on the unit. I will say a DVD looks much better than the Ipod video on the DNX7100 because of the formatting differences.

·
Registered
195 Posts
According to the description on Crutchfield.....
HTML:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nx30H5fdbkL/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=113IP300V
looks like the video should play....using Kenwood controls.

I just got back from the local Kenwood car audio shop where I had to buy the iPod adaptor for my DNX7100 install this weekend. I thought that I could use the Kuda harness to plug my iPhone into the unit but it looks like the best option will be the Kenwood unit (KCA-ip300v).

But, the guy, after I pay for it tells me that he doesn't think that the video will work due to Apple not allowing the video signal into "3rd party units". I scratch my head and ask "why would Kenwood make this then if it won't work to bring video into the unit"? He didn't have an answer but he "heard" that it wouldn't work. I ask "then why am I buying it"? If I can't plug my iPod video or iPhone into it, what good is it?

Any of knowledgeable people have any insight on this bit if information? The Kuda mount as RGB outputs that I can only assume I could plug into the DNX7100 input (yellow - video, red/black - audio) but I wouldn't be able to control the iPhone/iPod from the head unit.

Anyway, I guess I'll find out in the morning when I do the install, just found it surprising that the guy would tell me this after I bought it then can't explain why the unit would have a "video input" for the DNX7100 if the video wouldn't work.

Just doesn't make much sense to me...

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick follow up before install...I plugged my iPhone into my wife's DNX7100 with the ip300v adapter and it did NOT play video or give iPod controls for the audio. She does NOT have the most recent update as posted above. Her video iPod DOES work fully w/video.

I'm going to do the firmware update on mine as I install and hope it works even though it doesn't list the iPhone as part of the update...

·
Registered
794 Posts
If using the Iphone you can only take video out of the phone jack, Apple did a little something to lock the video out, but regular ipod should work if it doesn't we have firm ware the update, and is very simple to do, if any body needs it e-mail me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If using the Iphone you can only take video out of the phone jack, Apple did a little something to lock the video out, but regular ipod should work if it doesn't we have firm ware the update, and is very simple to do, if any body needs it e-mail me.
Can you email me the firmware update
I do not have the box mine came in and don't feel like pulling it out of the dash to get the serial number

1 - 10 of 10 Posts