Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Kenwood 5120 installed yesterday. I LOVE IT! The interface is a little clunky but the unit works and sounds great.

I have some questions and am hoping you guys might know about this..

1) I want to change the Garmin vehicle marker to a Black Diamond FJ. I got the file but don't know how to get it on the unit. I tried using a CD like you can load up POIs and maps but it didn't work

2) I have the iPod connector hooked up. Can I add a USB hub or something so I can additionally wire a standard USB outlet somewhere in my car in addition to the iPod that is currently plugged into the single USB plug on the unit? I'd like this in case I want to load files via USB, etc. I also need USB so I can change the spash screen.

3) I am on a Mac. The Garmin firmware update is a windows file. WTF? I have firmware 2.4. Should I even bother do the 2.5 update?

4) Anyone figure out the perfect RGB colors for the background and illumination to match the vehicle?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, anyone know why there is a square bracket around the "select" button on the top right?

I found this image online, the person has the same bracket. Couldn't find anything in the manual about this and all the screenshots in the manual show no bracket. It's a minor annoyance. What does it mean?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the Kenwood 5120 installed yesterday. I LOVE IT! The interface is a little clunky but the unit works and sounds great.

I have some questions and am hoping you guys might know about this..

1) I want to change the Garmin vehicle marker to a Black Diamond FJ. I got the file but don't know how to get it on the unit. I tried using a CD like you can load up POIs and maps but it didn't work

2) I have the iPod connector hooked up. Can I add a USB hub or something so I can additionally wire a standard USB outlet somewhere in my car in addition to the iPod that is currently plugged into the single USB plug on the unit? I'd like this in case I want to load files via USB, etc. I also need USB so I can change the spash screen.

3) I am on a Mac. The Garmin firmware update is a windows file. WTF? I have firmware 2.4. Should I even bother do the 2.5 update?

4) Anyone figure out the perfect RGB colors for the background and illumination to match the vehicle?
Well, I have done a lot of internet research today and found a few things out:

1) I need to connect my 5120 to my laptop via USB to change the vehicle markers or voices.

2) Some people claim a USB hub works. I found no true definitive answer on this or what make/model hubs work. I ordered a belkin 4 port USB hub on AMAZON tonight. I'm gonna give it a shot.

3) I guess the update is PC only. I'll burn a CD at work.

4) Didn't find info on this but I'm gonna work on picking the perfect color for the dash.

5) I have no idea why there are brackets around the source icon. Makes no sense to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts