Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted a backup camera for my FJ for some time as I frequently hook up to trailers and farm equipment when by myself. That simple desire naturally started me on a quest to switch out my factory audio.
The guys at Car Toys suggested the Kenwood DMX957XR partly because it has a lot of additional capabilities I would like to have, like multiple cameras, HD radio, Apple Car Play, etc.
I've read the reviews and much of the documentation and like what I have found, but oftentimes I find that I don't know the right questions, much less the answers.
Do any of you have experience with this particular head unit? Any particular pros or cons?
I could probably do the installation myself but it would take some time and I don't want to make a mess, so I plan to have it done by the pros.
BTW, they suggested mounting the rear camera in the bumper in order to view the trailer hitch. It occurs to me that being only about a foot from the hitch the image might not be in focus. I'll ask the tech's there but do any of you have experience with that kind of setup?
Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the 997 with 740hd camera. Camera is mounted inside scs spare wheel on metaltech bumper swingout. I see the tire rim surround but doesnt really impede view. The HD is great. Be careful where you mount the camera. The hd camera has a glass lens and it can shatter easily. I am on second one due to an accident during reinstall of my rear bumper (sandblast and re-powder-coated). The second camera was mounted with connector outside of door so i can change if breaks again in future. Maybe where install is recommended is too exposed if u off road. The neat thing on this unit is that it can handle 4 cameras. I have backup 740hd, front cmos320, right side attached to mirror. Position 4 i have a Navtv FLIR night vision system with animal and people detection installed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine was installed professionally. I saw the wires during the install and boy did i make the right decision. Note mine goes to an aftermarket amp with active crossover, aftermarket speakers and sub. Sonthe install with the steree, cameras, night vision with all my lights and electronics (dual bettery, SPOD, air pump) was quite involved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the 997 with 740hd camera. Camera is mounted inside scs spare wheel on metaltech bumper swingout. I see the tire rim surround but doesnt really impede view. The HD is great. Be careful where you mount the camera. The hd camera has a glass lens and it can shatter easily. I am on second one due to an accident during reinstall of my rear bumper (sandblast and re-powder-coated). The second camera was mounted with connector outside of door so i can change if breaks again in future. Maybe where install is recommended is too exposed if u off road. The neat thing on this unit is that it can handle 4 cameras. I have backup 740hd, front cmos320, right side attached to mirror. Position 4 i have a Navtv FLIR night vision system with animal and people detection installed.
Thanks for the response and the good information. I have a cover on my spare, so I ruled that out. Also want to be able to see the hitch clearly. I'll give it some more thought. I don't do any rock crawling, but I do spend a lot of time in my pecan orchard, including driving through the creek occasionally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts