Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just arrived in Cambridge, MA from Toledo. My brother and his wife just had their first baby... a son. I drove, as I hate flying under any circumstance. I decided to take the plunge and get the new Kenwood DNX 8120 installed before I left. This thing is amazing. I've never had a Nav unit in a car before.... I don't know how I lived without it. It functioned PERFECTLY!!! I am amazed by how accurate this thing is. Technology is so cool. I'll post some pics of it installed when I get a chance or when I get home tuesday or so. Anyhow... two huge thumbs up on this thing.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... we installed the USB port into one of the blank switches in the cluster, and ran the iPhone connector to the glovebox so it is out of the way. It is so cool! I can do anything I would want to do on the phone/iPod via the touch screen, so I just plug it in, throw it in the box, and forget it. It is really slick. I'll try to post some pics while I'm here in B-town, but I may not have a chance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you or a friend have Garmin map source topo that you could try in the Kenwood? I think maps can be added useing a SD card. It would be great if we could use this Nav.system with topo off road.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it does have an SD card slot. You can also download the maps to a USB device and then upload it to the system. I'm pretty sure this unit is compatible with all of the Garmin stuff. I just got it in yesterday and I haven't had a chance to really read the encyclopedia that came with it. I'll know more about all the functions after I can play with it for a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@ Toledo FJ (or anyone in the know), I am a complete hands-off kind of guy when it comes to car audio stuff. So forgive the naivete. I came across your post and was very intrigued by the system you purchased and installed. It sounds like the perfect head unit. Anyway, it got me to reading some other posts about after-market HUs, speakers, amps, etc...

So, I go to the Best Buy website to check out the price of the DNX 8120 and check the compatibility of it with my FJ. The website indicates that it won't fit. Huh? Can you offer some advice here on what you did to install the DNX 8120? I am looking forward to pics once you are back. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
@ Toledo FJ (or anyone in the know), I am a complete hands-off kind of guy when it comes to car audio stuff. So forgive the naivete. I came across your post and was very intrigued by the system you purchased and installed. It sounds like the perfect head unit. Anyway, it got me to reading some other posts about after-market HUs, speakers, amps, etc...

So, I go to the Best Buy website to check out the price of the DNX 8120 and check the compatibility of it with my FJ. The website indicates that it won't fit. Huh? Can you offer some advice here on what you did to install the DNX 8120? I am looking forward to pics once you are back. Thanks in advance.
Any single or double DIN unit will fit in the FJ. I have a feeling that the compatibility database is a little out of date, or the Kenwood unit is so new. I will be getting this unit once I sell my D3.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, it fits no problem. There is a little fit kit they sell for the FJ for like 20 bucks. It is basically just a little plastic collar that makes it look nice and clean. I too stay away from electronic mods.... I just don't trust myself with electricity. I live across the street from a car audio shop, and my friend works there, so he did the install. I'm sorry I haven't been able to post pics yet... my brother doesn't have the right card reader for my camera. I'll get pics up by wed. at the latest. But yes... it fits fine. Looks great IMO.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, here are a few pics of the unit installed and a couple of the function screens.

Here is the USB port installed on a blank switch. I'm gonna redo this so it is a little cleaner:

And a pic of the iPhone/iPod connector in the glovebox:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hey Toledo,

Does that Kenwood model retain the audio unit controls on the steering wheel?

I haven't looked it up but some of these units have an optional module that allows use of the factory controls in the wheel.

The Kenwoods have the Garmin unit in them. Excellent overall units and you can use additional maps with no problem.

Your software and controls will work very similar to the upper end of the Garmin Nuvi line of nav units.

I've got some great topos you can shoot into that thing.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
waiting for pics! sounds like a keeper!
Are you unable to view the pics I already posted here? Let me know and I can e-mail you some pics if you can't view the ones above.

Yes, It says you can retain use of the steering wheel controls if you instal the adapter. I'll do that when I get back home from boston. Good to know the Topo maps will work on the unit.

I also forgot to take pics of the hands free microphone and the antenna. We mounted the mic to the A pillar right at the top where the plastic ends. It looks really clean.

The antenna is a very small puck and we mounted it inside the cab at the base of the windshield, dead center in the dash. Also looks really clean, plus it is hidden from view by the gauge cluster. I've had no reception issues with the antenna mounted inside, but I can always throw it on the roof if I have any issues. No need to drill even with a roof mount. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I'd love to see some screen shots of what the topo maps look like in use. I have a 60CSx I use for hiking but I'd like to get something with a larger screen for use in the FJ. I've been thinking about getting one of the Kenwood units, but neither the Kenwood or Garmin pages have a lot of information about the GPS. From those pages I had no idea you could load topo maps on them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Doesnt the Kenwood iPod cable plug into the usb AND a/v plugs hanging off the head unit?
How do you rig that when you have your usb plug mounted on the dash?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks great; can't wait to get mine!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts