Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was reminded by my kenwood unit that I needed to upgrade my maps...yeah, yeah, whatever.

Well, I had a friend give me the 2008 city navigator dvd, only I need the data on sd card in order to update the kenwood unit. I started looking for solutions online (haven't even popped the disc in the computer yet, to see what I find out) to convert dvd > sd and stumbled upon these...

City Navigator 2008 NT on SD Card | POI Factory
Groundspeak Forums > Loading maps to sd memory

Granted they're talking about other units and not the kenwood, but it seems that it'd be close to the same idea.

Has anyone tried replacing the map data in the kenwood units with topo map data?

Just wondering if this is something I should pursue or if its a complete waste of time?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No summit for me, too many other work related trips going right now :(

Well, I had a conference call this morning, so I sat at my computer working on the garmin stuff.

I had the city navigator 2008 dvd and the garmin topo 2008 dvd, installed them both onto the computer. From there I clicked on the map install program and it gives you a world map, and you highlight the maps you want to install, both the city navigator maps (I did the entire continental US) and topo maps (I did all of AZ and every state it touches) and am now installing them to my SD card - (took about 1.3gigs of space).

Its currently building a map set with 7 minutes remaining. Hopefully its done after that. I'm assuming I just go plug the sd card into the 7100 once I'm done.

Guess I'll find out in a few.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

7100 running topo

sorry for the bad photo, i took it with my crackberry.

I also didn't move from my garage, so I just zoomed out really far, I'll take better photos this weekend.

I won't say how or where I got the dvds or what I had to do to unlock them. I did everything legally....mmmhmm, I swear I did.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
interested in how this was done. please pm with more information on how to you were able to upload I tried before yet was unsuccessfull

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I don't see a picture.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I can't believe I never tried this. I guess I just got use to people telling me it couldn't be done. I'll be at the summit and will be more than happy to load people's 7100s with whatever they like after Ed shares if he did anything special other than "load SD card with maps". (I have mapsource 2008 dvd as well)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I will post up a how I did everything tomorrow.
Thanks for this thread Ed. I will be watching with interest. I too am tired of having to use the laptop. The only problem is that I have so many map notes and draw files I wonder if they can be downloaded also. Probably not.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have tried to upload custom tracks without success. The only thing I've personally been able to do is upload custom POI breadcrums with info about where to turn for certain trails. Doesn't beat a laptop, but it's better than nothing and you can use proximity alarms with them.

If someone could figure out how to get tracks off and on the 7100 that would be stellar

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
From what I can tell you'd have to build your tracks & waypoints in to custom maps. When i finally get a kenwood system I'll add all the CO Off road trails to my custom topo maps, it'll probably be a while though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts