Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kenwood makes some Excelon component 6x9 speakers for Toyota applications. Is there anyone out there running a set of these? If so, do you like them and are you driving them with a separate amp? I would like to hear your thoughts on these Kenwoods or if there is something better that easily fits in the same price range. Most places have them for $219.

Thanks,
Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't have any experience with those specific speakers but they are "Toyota specific" because there is a universal speaker bracket in the kit. Most 6x9's will work in the door with the same adapter and most 3 1/2" will fit in the dash. Shop around and you'll find similar or better deals. I got a couple sets of speakers from Crutchfield during a sale and knocked another 30% off the price you're looking at. Either way, you'll probably want an amp or an aftermarket HU that has a stronger internal one. The stock Fjammer is a piece of garbage in the power department.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any experience with those specific speakers but they are "Toyota specific" because there is a universal speaker bracket in the kit. Most 6x9's will work in the door with the same adapter and most 3 1/2" will fit in the dash. Shop around and you'll find similar or better deals. I got a couple sets of speakers from Crutchfield during a sale and knocked another 30% off the price you're looking at. Either way, you'll probably want an amp or an aftermarket HU that has a stronger internal one. The stock Fjammer is a piece of garbage in the power department.
Thank you for the reply. I'm dang near getting anxiety over doing this upgrade correctly. I would like to do it once and have no regrets. It would be easy to do it wrong and make things worse or the same after spending all sorts of money. I don't think I've ever encountered a vehicle where the OEM system is such an odd concoction of speakers of different impedance and wiring. 200MM bezel opening! It's like the engineers purposely made if difficult to upgrade. All this being said, I've never been really dissatisfied with the sound coming from my 9 speaker system (2008) but I'm looking to integrate better with all the mobile devises we use now and drive with less distraction. The original FJammer wasn't intended for all of this integration.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
147 Posts
We're in the same boat as I'm in the middle of getting it all done as well, for the same reasons. I've decided to go with new wiring throughout with the new HU and speakers as I think it just makes sense. I've decided to have a shop near me wire everything as I just don't know what I'm doing with electrical and don't want to take the chance of screwing it up. Murphy likes to pop up at the most inopportune times.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you’re upgrading the basic fj cruiser stereo system then just about any decent components you add will be an improvement. If it’s the JBL factory system, you’ll want to invest a little more. As for the head unit, a lot of that’s on your other tread already. But basically any good multimedia headunit from a reputable manufacturer like Alpine, Pioneer or Kenwood would work out perfectly. And it’s easy enough to find the features and aesthetics you like by viewing their websites. As for speakers, that’s something completely different. You “can’t” only rely on reviews or different people’s opinions. Speakers are personal taste, while some manufacturers are better than others. They will all sound different, and some people prefer certain brands, or models over others. You’re best bet is to go into a car audio shop and listen to different speakers. Make sure to have a variety of music you listen to on hand, to demo with. And if you’re not going to invest in an amp, make sure they’re not on an amp when you’re listening to them. There’s a huge difference between amplified speakers and ones that run off the headunit. Speakers have far more depth when they’re amplified. If you want to add an amp, don’t go too cheap. Amplifiers will makes a huge difference in the quality of your system, but a poor quality one will give you results you don’t want. JL Audio, Alpine and Pioneer all make good quality reasonably priced amplifiers. The last step would be adding a subwoofer, and is arguably the biggest improvement you can make. Again listening would be preferable, as there are a lot of options. But you honestly can’t go wrong with JL Audio if you don’t mind the cost. Beyond the sub you’ll also have to decide sealed or ported enclosure. As again there’s a difference, sealed enclosures are tighter hitting bass, but require more power to run properly. Ported enclosures tend to be more boomy and efficient to run. But again JL Audio simplifies that choice with their stealth boxes, solid fiberglass construction and sealed or ported depending on the vehicle, enclosure, sub and power. They’re pricey though. If you really want recommendations though.
Alpine, Pioneer or Kenwood multimedia headunit, with a CD Drive (CD sounds better than compressed media from your phone).
JL Audio, Alpine maybe Pioneer amplifier. 4ch with a second 1ch for the sub. Or a 5ch amp.
My favorite speaker companies for midrange are no longer around. But Focal or JL Audio would be solid choices, “highly recommend to listen to them though”. Polk Audio or Alpine’s mid range aren’t bad for the money as well.
JL Audio for the sub, IMO nothing really compares.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I've been very happy with the JL Audio C2 6x9s. Clean, full range sound.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been very happy with the JL Audio C2 6x9s. Clean, full range sound.
Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll check them out. Are you driving them with amplifier or the stock head unit?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll check them out. Are you driving them with amplifier or the stock head unit?
I had the horrid base stereo, so I swapped in an Alpine head unit and KTP-445A amplifier. I also installed 3/4" C2 tweeters in the dash locations. Been happy with it for 4 years now. I like clean sound, not rattle the neighborhood (usually :) ).

You can read my entire "recipe" here FJ Aftermarket Audio System Options

Bottom line is I have been quite impressed with the JL Audio C2s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts