Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 2010 FJ, I only got one functioning key that would start it. It has a gray head (not black) and the blade is stamped with a G. I also got a second key with a black head which is cut and opens the doors, but does not start the vehicle, although it is also G stamped. I have no keyless entry fobs at the moment.

My dilemma is that we need a second master key that can start our FJ and I need to do so using this one master G key that works.

What route can I go, absent spending hundreds at the dealership, to duplicate this master key, and can I make a master key that has the keyless entry?

The top key in the pic below (gray) is the working key while the bottom key (black) is the one that will unlock the doors but not start the vehicle.

Tool Hand tool Audio equipment Metalworking hand tool Font

I want to add that I have reviewed many other posts regarding keys, yet my question still remains, so any help on this is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Unfortunately you don't have a master key. You only have a real valet key (chipped), and another valet key that is not chipped for your vehicle with your pattern cut into it. I've attached page 28 of the 2010 USA owners manual that shows the keys that you should have received and a metal tag with the cut pattern key number. If you don't have the printed owners manual, you can download a PDF from Toyota.

You can have a Toyota dealer look up they key numbers for the pattern if you don't have the stamped metal tag, but by itself this will only make a flat key that will open doors and play the radio, but won't start the car if you don't have a master key. It is handy to have one of these keys since they are only a few dollars and will save you if you lock the keys in the car.

Generally the valet key with the chip is very difficult to duplicate by itself which is why you use it when you have someone work on your car (even a Toyota dealer), or let someone else drive the car. If you let someone else have possession of a master key, they could go make more master keys or more valet keys.

A master key can be used to make more master keys or valet keys at a reasonable price. With no master key, you may have to replace the ECU to get a new master key. See if you can get at least one of the original master keys from whoever sold you the vehicle. It will save you a lot of trouble you can get one.

Toyota keys wear on the cut pattern and you will eventually need a new key cut. If you have the master key, this is easy since the RFID chip is in the electronics module that you can insert into a new empy key housing that includes a blank key stalk. The price of cutting the pattern is included in the price which isn't too much. Toyota sells spare parts for the master keys such as the front face, or the back housing with key blank separately.

Attachments

Reactions: BrewsterII

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I bought my 2010 FJ, I only got one functioning key that would start it. It has a gray head (not black) and the blade is stamped with a G. I also got a second key with a black head which is cut and opens the doors, but does not start the vehicle, although it is also G stamped. I have no keyless entry fobs at the moment.

My dilemma is that we need a second master key that can start our FJ and I need to do so using this one master G key that works.

What route can I go, absent spending hundreds at the dealership, to duplicate this master key, and can I make a master key that has the keyless entry?

The top key in the pic below (gray) is the working key while the bottom key (black) is the one that will unlock the doors but not start the vehicle.

View attachment 1183783

I want to add that I have reviewed many other posts regarding keys, yet my question still remains, so any help on this is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 1183783

Hello,

I just went through a similar situation. I recently purchased my 2013 FJ and it only came with one key (L). This key fob unlocked/locked via buttons and also started the car. However the key would not manually (key insert) unlock my car doors or tailgate. Similar to you I contacted the dealer and soon realized that there's no way I'm going to pay them that much money just for one key ($175) and programming ($210). So I ended up going through a local locksmith and they made me one key fob key including programming to start and unlock/lock with buttons. Also two separate metal keys that will manually unlock/lock my doors and tailgate. Total still will be $270 but savings none the less. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are a few videos on the YouTubes for programming toyotas with new keys with chips and new remotes. I cannot believe how much the stealership charges for that service. I have an 07, so I don't have the chip in the key, programming the remote took about 60 seconds. There's a video about the chip reprogramming and took about as long... I think it takes longer to watch the videos. I bought one of the keys that had the remote built into the key head for about $25 on amazon (without the chip) and it's been working great.

(edit: I had Ace Hardware cut the key for me. They sell keys and remotes, but not sure if they work with FJs. Worth a shot compared to the dealers)

·
Registered
12 Posts
OP says he has a key that starts the vehicle and just wants another one that does the same. Regardless of colour the one that starts the car should act as a master key suitable for reprograming (if it turns the immobiliser off).
I've done this recently with both my FJ and Hilux using the techstream software. I had cheap 3rd party key cut using the blade of the key that starts car.

The main issue I had was finding a 3rd party G transponder chip that worked. The keys I purchased as 'G' did not actually work, I believe they should be sold as "g compatible" as the transponder is actually fully blank and needed telling its a G as well as matched to vehicle. Techstream will only work with a transponder that already knows its a G chip!
But I did find an eBay seller with G chips on their own that Techstream detected first time and I just used them with the keys I had cut.
Alternative way I suspect would be to buy used genuine FJ 'G' keys, cut the used blade off and reprogram one of those as a fob only and use it with a 3rd party key that has been cut using existing key.

Other things to note.
At first I had issues getting the Immobiliser lamp to extinguish when the key was inserted into the lock. This is important if using the 'manual' way of programming keys without techstream as key need to be inserted in and out of lock without turning. I found the immobiliser only disengaged after turning the key. The issue was my fault - I had disabled the annoying 'key in ignition alarm' by unplugging it. At the time I was unaware that this also turns off the immobiliser disable after key insertion.

I've only managed to program the alarm/door remote radio keyfob on the hilux using 3rd party key. The frequency on the JDM has proven difficult to obtain despite ordering the right range. They turn out to be be way off the mark on frequency analyser compared to original. This probably doesn't mean anything to US market vehicles though,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Similar experience to JDM_Limey. I bought a G blank either on eBay or more likely AliExpress. I had it cut at a local key shop, then used TechStream to program the ECU to accept the key. I have not found a source for the keyless fob, though I haven't looked that hard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The correct info is that the gray key is not a master key and cannot be used to program new keys of any sort. To program new keys to this vehicle, Toyota requires replacement of the Transponder ECU (this is covered in T-SB-0029-11). Most dealers will require you purchase two new master keys at the same time and have them programmed once the Transponder ECU is installed.

The information posted above is per official Toyota documents, but I have heard of locksmiths being able to provide a reset to some Immobiliser systems. Usually this is on the vehicles that Toyota dealers also have the ability to reset (no ECU replacement) but a good locksmith would be able to provide more information.

The cheapest route would be to find one of the original master keys, meaning you may have to reach out to the previous owner for more information. Sometimes, the housing will break, making the key more difficult to use so they just stuck it in a drawer somewhere. Even broken, a master key with the chip still inside it can be used with a metal key to start the car. Another idea is to search every nook and cranny in the FJ to see if a key got left somewhere inside it (I have seen this with rental fleet cars).

·
Registered
12 Posts
The correct info is that the gray key is not a master key and cannot be used to program new keys of any sort. To program new keys to this vehicle, Toyota requires replacement of the Transponder ECU (this is covered in T-SB-0029-11). Most dealers will require you purchase two new master keys at the same time and have them programmed once the Transponder ECU is installed.

The information posted above is per official Toyota documents, but I have heard of locksmiths being able to provide a reset to some Immobiliser systems. Usually this is on the vehicles that Toyota dealers also have the ability to reset (no ECU replacement) but a good locksmith would be able to provide more information.

The cheapest route would be to find one of the original master keys, meaning you may have to reach out to the previous owner for more information. Sometimes, the housing will break, making the key more difficult to use so they just stuck it in a drawer somewhere. Even broken, a master key with the chip still inside it can be used with a metal key to start the car. Another idea is to search every nook and cranny in the FJ to see if a key got left somewhere inside it (I have seen this with rental fleet cars).
You haven't tried it yourself then?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You haven't tried it yourself then?
Not sure what you mean by this. I have programmed multiple keys on a huge variety of Toyota vehicles when I worked as a Master Diagnostic Technician at the dealership. I have replaced Transponder ECUs, Engine ECMs, Smart Key ECUs, etc. and worked through all the tricks of the trade regarding official programming the Toyota way. As an MDT, I also had access to the key code reset on vehicles which support that, and the O/P's FJ is not one of those.

I have never owned a vehicle without a master key and tried having a locksmith "work their magic" if that's what you mean.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I believe somewhere in the video he says he can help if you don't have a master key

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe somewhere in the video he says he can help if you don't have a master key
One of the FAQs on that website ask whether their programmer will work without having the master key, and the answer is "No". It might still be worth reaching out to them. Tom's Key Company

1 - 11 of 11 Posts