Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a basic model fj comes with power door and locks but no keyless entry. dealer ask me $599 + tax to add the system. my question is can i just buy a key fob from ebay and program it to make it works? i have read lots of threades in this website, seems like it works, but i am not sure. has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You can just get an aftermarket system and install in with the FJ.

Welcoem to the forum!!!:wave:

·
Registered
286 Posts
There is probably a way to do that yourself. You will, however, have to dig around some on the forums.

As FJCcrawler stated, you can just put on your own aftermarket alarm system and accomplish the same objective. That's the path I would take.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can just get an aftermarket system and install in with the FJ.

Welcoem to the forum!!!:wave:
thank you for your reply. so you mean there is no such pre installed keyless receiver on FJ like Atrac system we can hack to make it work?

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Welcome :wave:

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
I don't think that you can just add a keyless entry. I have not heard anyone being able to do that.

Sorry.....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well Kliu14, I purchased a keyless remote off eBay. I haven't found programming instructions, but once I give it a shot, I'll let you know how it went. I'm not having a great feeling about it, but we'll see. The remote was supposed to come with programming instructions, but the instructions only point you to a website: programyourremote.com, which doesn't even have the FJ as an option. I tried the 2006 Tacoma instructions, but to no avail.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good luck on the key fob if it you manage to pull it off definitely post it up.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
I installed the Viper remote start with kill switch for $200 and i don't need the factory remote any more, thats the way i would go. Save your cash for something else you will need it for sure.

·
Registered
215 Posts
From my little $30 experiment, here's what I found out: If your FJ ONLY has power locks, you cannot add a keyless remote just by programming a remote. If your FJ already came equipped with keyless remote, you can add another remote by going through the programming steps. Don't bother buying a keyless entry remote from Ebay if your FJ doesn't already have keyless entry installed.

·
Registered
835 Posts
From my little $30 experiment, here's what I found out: If your FJ ONLY has power locks, you cannot add a keyless remote just by programming a remote. If your FJ already came equipped with keyless remote, you can add another remote by going through the programming steps. Don't bother buying a keyless entry remote from Ebay if your FJ doesn't already have keyless entry installed.
I tried the key fob and programming method also to no avail. The receiver module is separate from the computer. If you got a base model, you will have to add the keyless entry receiver module to the vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts