Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my first ever vacation and want to go somelace new, so I'm heading East. I'm from Southern CA and now live in Northern AZ so I want something a little different than high desert wheeling.
Someone suggested Kiamichi Trail that spans between Clayton, OK to Mena, AR. By what I can tell, the whole stretch is too long for this time around but I do want to do a portion of this trail.
Question 1): What's the difference in terrain between starting in Clayton, OK and Mena, AR? Deep water is really the only thing I'm concerned about since I have no need for a snorkel in Flagstaff, AZ.
Question 2): Do I need a land permit for this trail at any point? I tried calling both counties foresters, but I guess they left for the weekend already and no one knew the answer when I tried either states forestry headquarters.
Question 3): I know no one can ever predict the weather, but I was wondering if there is a general weather pattern for mid April-ish time and what it may be for either area?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help! And of course, if you'd like to join this impromtu excursion with me, let me know! Kinda hitting the trail with just my ride and a buddy, which isn't abnormal for me but friendly faces are always appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm taking my first ever vacation and want to go somelace new, so I'm heading East. I'm from Southern CA and now live in Northern AZ so I want something a little different than high desert wheeling.
Someone suggested Kiamichi Trail that spans between Clayton, OK to Mena, AR. By what I can tell, the whole stretch is too long for this time around but I do want to do a portion of this trail.
Question 1): What's the difference in terrain between starting in Clayton, OK and Mena, AR? Deep water is really the only thing I'm concerned about since I have no need for a snorkel in Flagstaff, AZ.
No need for a Snorkel. Small streams only.
Question 2): Do I need a land permit for this trail at any point? I tried calling both counties foresters, but I guess they left for the weekend already and no one knew the answer when I tried either states forestry headquarters.
No need for Land Permits.
Question 3): I know no one can ever predict the weather, but I was wondering if there is a general weather pattern for mid April-ish time and what it may be for either area?
Weather mid April is around high 70's to low 80's, and 40's to 50's at night.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help! And of course, if you'd like to join this impromtu excursion with me, let me know! Kinda hitting the trail with just my ride and a buddy, which isn't abnormal for me but friendly faces are always appreciated.
Let me know what dates you are going and ill see if im free.
If you don't want to travel all the way to Eastern Oklahoma I would look at going to Red River NM. Great area and Great Wheeling.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts

You're welcome to join us all at Lone Star Toyota Jamboree April 30-May 3 :bigthumb: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/trail-runs-get-togethers/395977-10th-annual-lone-star-toyota-jamboree-2015-a.html

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me know what dates you are going and ill see if im free.
If you don't want to travel all the way to Eastern Oklahoma I would look at going to Red River NM. Great area and Great Wheeling.
Thanks, Brad! I plan on getting to Clayton April 14th. Not sure on time honestly. Maybe late morning or sooner. Was gonna stay till the 15th then head out mid-day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Be careful on the Kiamichi trail. I believe there is a write up by some 4x4 enthusiast who were almost ambushed on the trail. local rednecks set a fire on the trail to try and get the off roaders to go another way but the off roaders saw them and got out their guns and stuff. My friend did the k trail about 2 years ago with a bunch of toyotas. They did the trail and had a good time but they were armed to the teeth. Hopefully your not too late reading this.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just got back from the k trail. Had alot of fun.
Looks like you had fun.

How is the pin stripping on your car from this trail? I know it does leave quite some pin stripping marks on your car.

Can you share your experience if you have any or it is a little or a lot?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good to know for the future, @FS2000. I didn't make it too far along the trail though. Two people, one FJ and one hi-lift jack made it an exciting few miles since it was flooding the day prior to us arriving and then drizzling non-stop. Got "stuck" a couple times because I either had that little devil on my shoulder saying you got this... as I debated taking the safe by-way or going for the challenge or the clay would suck me sideways into a deep mudpit.
@vakita12, if y'all plan on going out again keep me in mind! I want to try again, but would really like to have another rig or two out there with me. That or throw a ton of money at a lot more self recovery gear. :lol:

·
Registered
138 Posts
There were two from ON-TORC wanting to head out there this weekend. Want to try to get out there sometime this fall myself.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I wheel in AR a lot & this is sad but my friends over there sent me this article might want to be careful. Some guys got their tires spiked in some mud holes. Tires Getting Spiked On Trail - Expedition Portal As far as the pin striping I haven't f found too many places in AR that you don't get pinstriped some right down to the metal.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wheel in AR a lot & this is sad but my friends over there sent me this article might want to be careful. Some guys got their tires spiked in some mud holes. Tires Getting Spiked On Trail - Expedition Portal As far as the pin striping I haven't f found too many places in AR that you don't get pinstriped some right down to the metal.
Last weekend, a group of jeepers form North Texas found and removed the spike traps. There was a plate with spikes welded to it as well as a chain with spikes so whoever placed it could pull it out.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I wheel in Arkansas all the time, but have stuck to the Central area of the state for the most part. I was making my way up into the Ozark area and locations further West as I explored various places, so I hate to hear this stuff is going on. I've never come across anything like this in the places I drive, but it's upsetting to know it's going on.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is another reason never to go wheelin' alone.
Stories like this will keep me away from that trail, as long as there are others to drive.
There is evil in the world, but for some reason I expect less of it out on the trail.
Yeah, I'm kinda curious about the circumstances of these events. I know rangers and logging companies regularly use many of the roads in the Ouachita National Forest where I drive, so I can't imagine this kind of thing happening for long there. If the K-trail is in a similar setting I wonder why it hasn't been addressed by now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
spikes in mud holes. a group lost 10 tires recently. 6 trucks i believe.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Some guys have mentioned bringing a gun with them but that's not really enough to make me feel comfortable taking my family into an area like that.
The thought of some predator purposely placing a bonfire in the middle of a trail in order to keep a small group of wheelers cutoff in a certain secluded part of the woods scares the crap out of me. That's some freaky shlt.

:surprise

·
Registered
90 Posts
Some guys have mentioned bringing a gun with them but that's not really enough to make me feel comfortable taking my family into an area like that.
The thought of some predator purposely placing a bonfire in the middle of a trail in order to keep a small group of wheelers cutoff in a certain secluded part of the woods scares the crap out of me. That's some freaky shlt.

:surprise
Yeah i am not sure if it was something like this or if there are some people that are distilling moonshine/ cooking meth/ growing pot in the area and are trying to scare people off so they don't get found.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah i am not sure if it was something like this or if there are some people that are distilling moonshine/ cooking meth/ growing pot in the area and are trying to scare people off so they don't get found.
It certainly sounds like that's the case, but it doesn't make much sense either. I mean, going to all the trouble of welding spikes to chains and creating various obstacles seems more than a prankster would do, but then again if I was doing something illegal I sure as hell wouldn't do it anywhere near a popular, well-known trail either. Doesn't make sense. Of course, here I am being the dumb ass by thinking meth cooks use rational thought processes. :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got back from the k trail. Had alot of fun.
Looks like you had fun.

How is the pin stripping on your car from this trail? I know it does leave quite some pin stripping marks on your car.

Can you share your experience if you have any or it is a little or a lot?

Was alot of fun!!!!! Haha about the pin stripping. It was horrible man. Couple areas that are really tight. Got most of them buffed out. Now the second time i went i sprayed clear pastidip on the whole rig. That helped ALOT.the dip took most of the damage. We usually go and camp at clayton state park friday night. Wheel all day saturday on trail. Camp out on trail and go home sunday. I live about 4 hours away.def recommend the trail.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's good to know for the future, @FS2000. I didn't make it too far along the trail though. Two people, one FJ and one hi-lift jack made it an exciting few miles since it was flooding the day prior to us arriving and then drizzling non-stop. Got "stuck" a couple times because I either had that little devil on my shoulder saying you got this... as I debated taking the safe by-way or going for the challenge or the clay would suck me sideways into a deep mudpit.

@vakita12, if y'all plan on going out again keep me in mind! I want to try again, but would really like to have another rig or two out there with me. That or throw a ton of money at a lot more self recovery gear.

We are planning on going again when it cools down.where do you live? Its usually me and another fj. And couple guys on dirt bikes that go together

1 - 20 of 25 Posts