Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

Over the last few months I have noticed a loud knocking sound coming from the rear of my FJ when ever I go over rough ground or or Texas gates. I thought it was coming from my Hi-lift on the roof, but I removed that and emptied every thing from the vehicle that could make such a loud sound, but it continues. Does any one have any idea what could be causing this? I'm not sure if its happening on the up or down stroke of the wheels, If I drive real slow it does not happen, but going over a Texas gate or along a rough snow covered road at 20kph+ its there. This has made me think there may be some thing come loose. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Check the yoke or rear diff :(

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
it's a part of the drive train assembly.. it could be a u-joint also.To check,park the truck on level ground,chock the wheels to keep the truck from rolling of course :).Put the truck in NEUTRAL then climb under and grasp the rear U-joint and try to turn it back and forth.You should not be able to feel any play WITHIN the joint.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Mine too has a clunking sound but it sounds like the rear hatch. Mine is not part of the drive train or suspension. When I shut my rear door it just does not sound as solid as I would think it should be. I have been too lazy to get in and start to search for it.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
check the bottle jack in the side compartment.
That's also a good suggestion.:cheers: If thats not the case and the bolts on the links are tight, the bushings could be worn. Also check the panhard bar. My guess is that it's something in the suspension and not the diff.:cheers:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Check all of the above plus:

The shocks. If you spit out a rubber bushing in the ends of a shock, it will clunk at every hard bump.

The rear door hinges, make sure the bolts are tight. I've heard people complaining about the hinges coming loose.

Have someone jump up and down on the rear hatch with the door open (don't jump on the cheap stock bumper) as you lay under the vehicle back there and listen for a quiet clunking sound.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Check all of the above plus:

The shocks. If you spit out a rubber bushing in the ends of a shock, it will clunk at every hard bump.

The rear door hinges, make sure the bolts are tight. I've heard people complaining about the hinges coming loose.

Have someone jump up and down on the rear hatch with the door open (don't jump on the cheap stock bumper) as you lay under the vehicle back there and listen for a quiet clunking sound.
good thinking.. loose lower control arms can clunk around too... I've noticed that with my icon's :cheers:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Knocking in you rear?? :sex: :cheers: lol

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Knocking in you rear?? :sex: :cheers: lol
"Knocking in my rear". That's what she said. :bangin:

Sorry guys, I can't resist a slow pitch right down the middle.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sorry for the slow response, looks like a few of you beat me to it, but........... usually if you have 'knocking at your rear' someone wants 'in'.

I've been told that the more lubricant you use when you experience 'knocking at the rear', the better things work out - but I can't speak from experience.

In fact I wasn't even aware that KY Jelly comes in 75-90w.

Jerry:cheers:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I have found the problem. Nothing major thankful. BMThiker Was the closest. The jack was fine, but the tool pouch, although strapped in correctly had enough movement to make the offending noise. So I have padded it with some hd foam and all is well again. This had me really worried I was in for a big repair I could ill afford. Thanks for all you pointers though guys and girls.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts