Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This point was driven home on CORE's New Years day nigh run. We had a fellow member of this forum in need of recovery and if you've ever tried to fit a shackle onto a recovery point at night up to your elbow in very cold deep mud you'll understand.
Know where our recovery points are and how to hook recovery gear into them before you end up like this. Even knowing all this it was no picnic for me to feed the winch line to the recovery point and hooking it all together with a shackle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Wise words! Also, know how to use your equipment properly for the safest recovery in unfortunate circumstances. A real recovery is not the time to learn how your winch, hi lift, or other gear works. Tire rotations can be hi lift practice and moving trees is a great winching exercise.
I have a similar story of submerged recovery points back when NESSIE was stock with a grille guard and stock dunlops. 16 year old me thought "Hey, this country road is flooded, but I'll be fine." It took my very pissed, wet, and cold dad and our tractor to extract the fj from the murky river that was the ditch. The grille guard worked as a one-time recovery point, but was fubar'd after. I have much more respect for water/mud now, and could hook up a strap and shackle blindfolded now.

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
That reminds me of hooking up my buddy's jeep to pull him out of a big waterhole. It was spring but there was still a thick layer of ice on the water… floating around like a big iceberg. I took off my boots, socks, pants and put on a pair of rain pants to contain SOME heat.

I then waded into the thigh high water, pushing the large chunks of ice out of the way (*brrr!).
I fumbled around to put the shackle on the rear of his jeep for the recovery strap, got back out of the water and then pulled him out with the FJ.

I found out later that it was a HOOK on the back of the jeep and all I needed to do was to slip the recovery strap over it… saving me precious heat-losing minutes in the frigid water.
I couldn't see that because of the murky water that I was leaning over in.... my nose almost touching the water, lol.

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
Holy smokes.... I want to go 4 wheeling with you guys... I bury my FJ and you get out in mud, snow and whatever mess to hook up the recovery gear. If/when one of my students gets stuck, it is my job to get out and make sure they make a safe connection or I will do it if time management requires me to... If I am 4 wheeling with friends, unless they have to climb out of a window, they can make the connection themselves... Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to help, but if you make the decision to get yourself stuck, IMHO, you are responsible to make your own connection. The only exception would be if they had to stay in the driver's seat for safety or if they were too inexperienced to make a good decision on what to use as a safe anchor point. See... for all of you that had any doubt about me being a jerk.... now you know for sure.... I am...

Cheers
That's what I was thinking. Ya'll are too generous! :lol:
They would have done it for me and they have many times. In my case if he had opened his door a whole bunch of water would have rushed in.
One case where I needed to get hooked up was when I was in a possible rollover situation and needed to sit there with my foot on the brakes while my buddy hooked up my FJ.

If you don't wheel with guys that will wade through mud or icy water to save your ass I suggest getting better wheeling buddies :thinkerg: :jester: :simmadown: :grin

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Holy smokes.... I want to go 4 wheeling with you guys... I bury my FJ and you get out in mud, snow and whatever mess to hook up the recovery gear. If/when one of my students gets stuck, it is my job to get out and make sure they make a safe connection or I will do it if time management requires me to... If I am 4 wheeling with friends, unless they have to climb out of a window, they can make the connection themselves... Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to help, but if you make the decision to get yourself stuck, IMHO, you are responsible to make your own connection. The only exception would be if they had to stay in the driver's seat for safety or if they were too inexperienced to make a good decision on what to use as a safe anchor point. See... for all of you that had any doubt about me being a jerk.... now you know for sure.... I am...

Cheers
Winterpeg's got a point, it would have been a good learning opportunity for the driver. Its very possible his drivers door was in to deep to open but he did end up helping, had him climb into the back and hang onto me while I reached to the recovery point.
Thinking back over the years I can remember many times when we should have slowed down and taken advantage of a situation as a learning opportunity.

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
I know we're kinda getting off on a tangent... sorry.... :D

With regards to learning moments and slowing things down.... if it's safe to do so we all generally get out of our vehicles and look at the situation carefully and take our time. We have even broken out the sandwiches and discussed a particular situation while we ate... with one rig stuck (but safe). We thought of and dismissed a few different scenarios and ultimately chose the safest plan. We then methodically and safely worked it to get it free.

Good times :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
They would have done it for me and they have many times. In my case if he had opened his door a whole bunch of water would have rushed in.
One case where I needed to get hooked up was when I was in a possible rollover situation and needed to sit there with my foot on the brakes while my buddy hooked up my FJ.

If you don't wheel with guys that will wade through mud or icy water to save your ass I suggest getting better wheeling buddies :thinkerg: :jester: :simmadown: :grin
Like I said... I want to go with you guys.... OK... All kidding aside, the group of guys that I go with would all wade through what ever kind of wet, cold and nasty stuff necessary to help. I just wouldn't feel right about not doing it myself unless I needed to stay in the driver's seat. I have gone with people that didn't want to get wet or cold and would totally take advantage of the other good hearted people in the group. Those people never got a second invitation from any of us... Take care folks. I hope you all have a great new year!

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts