Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cheap ain't badass and badass ain't cheap​

I've been a Toyota owner and loyalist for quite some time. My first interest in Toyota began when I was in high school when the 2nd gen Tacos came out. It wasn't until I got out of high school and got a real job that I was able to purchase my first vehicle.
I got way too impatient and ended up spending $21,000 on a 2007 4 banger Taco with a terrible spacer lift. I liked the truck, but it was the worst purchase of my life and it was a learning experience. I had it for about a year and a half until it got stolen and was found at the bottom of a 200 ft rock cliff. God damn thieves.
My next vehicle was a 2000 Toyota Tundra with a 3" Fabtech lift and ceramic headers. This truck sounded like a hot rod and hauled balls. I loved the hell out of her but unfortunately it was only RWD.
It wasn't until 2012 that I took an interest in the FJC. I never liked it before because I didn't know its capabilities and I thought they looked like they were built for soccer moms. My perspective changed when I saw a Sandstorm FJ modded to all hell at a Buffalo Wild Wings. I had to have one.
After long research and contemplation I decided to get my FJ. I wanted to do it right- buy bone stock and make it how I wanted it to be. And that's exactly what I did.
I went to the dealer and got the exact color that I wanted, Arctic, and haggled the dealer down from $35.5k to $31k.
Kodi is my daily driver, but I am not holding back on anything. This will be a sort of "hybrid" rig of some sort. It will be primarily designed as an expedition vehicle however it will also be geared towards rock crawling. You'll see what I mean when I get further into the build. The goal is to be able to get wherever I want....and back. :lol:
Since I've joined this forum I've been engulfed with priceless knowledge from the build threads of some of our most experienced members. After reading and rereading the build threads on this forum I have been given the knowledge to do this build the right way the first time. I am very grateful for this. The big ones that I've resorted to for questions and at times inspiration are:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/39068-raptor-shadow-warriors-build.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/32237-scorpion.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/94956-fj-newbs-schutzhund-build.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/138713-my-addiction-crack-rock-toyeti.html

This is how a cub becomes King of the Arctic!

Current Status

As I drove it off the lot, grinning from ear to ear, I glanced down at the odometer and was assured that I was its only owner.​

The next day I took Kodi out to a local off road spot to know what I was working with. We were defeated by some sewage-like mud, but I'm not the type to baby an off road machine whether it be brand new or not. After 45 minutes of my roommate and I digging on our hands and knees, an '08 FJ TT came through the trees out of nowhere and pulled us out. Apparently he saw us whilst driving on the highway and came to the rescue. This is where I was first introduced to the brotherhood of the FJ. Getting stuck won't be a reoccuring theme here.

I'm not a fan of the silver trim on the FJ, so I plasti-dipped it black. I also made all the badges red. A little color can be a good thing. I find the stock bumpers to be weak and ugly so I'm not too caught up in making them look better. New ones will be in the future.

Next up was the CB. I wanted this mainly for weather alerts and trail rides. But it could also be useful for emergency situations. I went with the Cobra WXST 75 with Bandi mount and 3M FireStick antannae for a couple of reasons. First, I plan to have quite a few mods inside the FJ so I didn't want to take up a whole lot of room right off the bat. Second, I eventually want to have a HAM and CB set up so I wanted the CB to be compact and readily accessible.

By now the mod bug had really taken a hold of me and I decided to get a couple more items.
Anzo projector headlights to set my FJ apart from those soccer moms on the road. I really dig the look of them, especially at night. After purchasing them I heard a few bad reviews about them but so far they've been good. I do however need to lower them a bit.

Additionally, I got a little something to supplement my lack of inclinometer: A Master Chief bobble head. Works just as well, if not better, than the inclo on the gauge cluster.

Kodi is being designed to be a fully functional, badass rig from hell. Which means tires and a lift are in order. But before that, I needed to make some room. I did the BMC with a buddy and I have to say, it turned out just as expected.

Next up- ToyTec 3" Ultimate

Installation when very smoothly. I do however have a 1/4" drivers side lean, and the suspension makes some creaky sounds on turns. I need to trouble shoot this for a bit. The ride is night and day and this is definitely a great product. Much tighter in turns, and minimal nose dive during breaking.

I decided to go with 305/70/16 Goodyear Duratracs for a number of reasons. The primary reason was the rating this tire has in winter conditions. I wanted something that would perform well in snow, ice, and lastly mud. The snowflake rating for this tire was a no-brainer. I also am very partial to the look of these, particularly the 305. I want Kodi to live up to his name and have a nice broad stance. I am confident that I will be more than satisfied with this tire, and Discount Tire Direct was the vendor of choice. With highly competitive prices, excellent customer service, and an unparalleled warranty, they won my business for a long time to come. The tires even arrived 3 days early!

As previously stated, I want Kodi to be broad. Which is why I ordered 1.25" Spidertrax spacers for the front and rear. Spidertrax has an outstanding reputation and this decision was easy. I do however wish they were red rather than blue but they aren't visible so it's not a problem.

12 fuse Blue Sea fuse box with custom bracket installed by Nestah

Demello sliders

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
nice, Deftone ... black-out looks so great on Iceberg trucks, and I really like the red Toyota logo in the grill ... that CB looks really compact ... I hear you about the bumpers ... I can maybe live with the back, but the front has to go, eventually ...
:cheers:

07 FJ Cruiser – Voodoo Blue - C Pckge – AT
Toytec Ultimate 3” Lift / Total Chaos UCA
285/70R/17 Michelin LTX A/T
ECGS 3rd/front diff 4.56 gears / ARB Front Locker / ARB mini compressor
Clazzio Seat Covers / Industrial Forming Roll Top Console Cover
DeMello Hybrid Sliders

Install Pending – Scuba Mod

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. Yeah they don't seem sturdy at all. I'm all about functionality, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't do it for looks as well!

·
Premium Member
16,340 Posts
Great start on the mods. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New tires from DTD came in 3 days early. Great company and highly recommended!

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 305/70r16

Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (4)

·
Premium Member
16,340 Posts
New tires from DTD came in 3 days early. Great company and highly recommended!
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 305/70r16
Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (4)
Nice looking tires. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ToyTec 3" Ultimate lift installed!!
Set at 2.5" right now until the wheels get put on. Installation went smoothly. However on left turns there seems to be a creaky, stressed metal noise. Not sure what this is.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
lift looks good ... the new tires will really set it off ... not sure what the noise could be ...

DeMello Hybrid Sliders / Scuba Mod

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! Stock tires on it don't look as bad as I thought they would!:lol:
The ride difference is night and day as well. Less body roll, and it feels much tighter.
lift looks good ... the new tires will really set it off ... not sure what the noise could be ...

DeMello Hybrid Sliders / Scuba Mod

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A friend pointed out to me today that the rear drivers side seems a bit lower than the passenger. After a quick measurement I realized that it was about 1/2" lower than passenger.
Right now I have 175 miles on the lift so I'm sure it's fairly broken in. I will take another measurement this weekend and tweak the left front coil over up a notch and install the diff drop kit.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well as I'm waiting on my wheels the mod bug is still in full effect. I NEEDED to do something to the FJ (can't spend too much money as I pretty much maxed out my credit card for these last upgrades) :bandit:
So initially I decided to remove all rear badges. I think it looks much cleaner.
However I had an epiphany whilst holding the FJ emblem in my hand.

I decided the inside needs some color instead of the all black. I will definitely be winging this but the next item on the list will be red door inserts. Any ideas boys?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blah! Still waiting on my wheels. They won't be delivered until the 14th. I can't complain though because I received free shipping due to them being on back order.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My ultimate plan for recovery gear is:
Winch
Come A Long
ARB Premium Recovery Kit
ARB BushRanger XJack
Waffle Boards
High Jack

But for now I have a very basic means of recovery:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn wheels couldn't come soon enough. I have a trip to Pismo Dunes planned in two weeks. Hopefully I get these before departure! :mecry:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Estimated delivery for wheels went from 4SEP to 14SEP to 19 SEP. Going to cancel order and look elsewhere. I understand they are on back order, but when I purchased these it clearly stated that I would have them on the 4th. At this rate I wouldn't get them until October. I'll purchase them from another vendor once I get my refund. :flame:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts