Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe I don't see more L-track (aka airline track) mounts in vehicles. These things are infinitely versatile inside and out and are rated for over 1300lbs per ring. I've so far only used them in my cargo area but I know I'll buy more for the back door, roof rack, under the hood and anywhere else I might need them.

I'm not associated with these guys or anything, but they seemed to have the best prices... Airline Track - L Track Tie Down - Airline Track Cargo Tie Down Rails --Ryan

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Have been looking for something like this for a DIY mod... thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been using bungies in my cargo area and was looking for something like this over a storage box because I carry different stuff at different times of the year.

Can you post up pics of the setup you have in the cargo area? Much appreciated!:cheers:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NCSU,
You mean the whole cargo area?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was just interested in how the setup looked and how versatile it is. How are the tracks oriented? That sort of stuff. If you don't have pics I can just check it out at the Show this weekend.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I wasn't sure how much I'd like them, so all I've got in so far is 24" tracks on the far left and the far right running front to rear and (2) 2" round pucks near the leading edge (rear). I've got two more pucks that I haven't installed yet. I only bought 6 of the cargo rings, 4 of which I'm using for the net and 2 at the rear of the shelf. This is a shot from a little farther away. I've taken one of the rings off the puck on the right so you can see how low profile the pucks are when not using the rings.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nice setup. I wonder how well the tracks would work mounted to the rubber cargo lining? I'm still debating on whether I want a shelf because I'd need something that was easily removable or that folded up. Thanks for posting the link

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think they would be fine mounted to the floor, but you'd want to run the mounting bolts all the way through the floor and put a nut on from underneath probably. I've thought about how to do it again and make it more removable, so we can brainstorm at the meet next Saturday. I thought I might want it removable, but I love how much more space it gives me on a daily basis. It now allows me to put larger things like a 4' level in the back now and lay flat. Of course I can grab a truck from work if I need to carry anything too big.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
For clarification the load rating is only applicable if you are mounting it to something that can support that load (your wood shelf won't support that much loading). Not sure how your shelf is hard mounted, but it doesn't look like it is, so I wouldn't put much load on those rings...especially in the event of the accident that shelf will go flying and it wouldn't take much for the rails/load to break from the shelf.

I've used them on my storage system for quite some time.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Newb is certainly correct on the load rating only being as good as the mounting. Always keep that in mind if you're planning on really loading these things up. My shelf is actually mounted to the floor in areas unseen, but it is still wood and wood is much more fallible than a good structural steel mount. My offroading needs don't call for the high weight items (such as that nicely mounted fridge in FJNewb's rig) so I've designed it to meet my needs in terms of capacity and a little extra for safety in case of a catastrophic accident. As many have pointed out in this forum, your biggest concern for shelves, drawers and any extra storage solutions in the back should be in case of an accident and how the force of an impact will send objects flying at you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The loading issue is why I was wanting to mount it to the cargo area's floor. I, like everybody else, don't want my stuff rolling around in the back while on trails (hence the mutliple storage solutions on this forum). I'll see if I can brainstorm a few sketches before the meet.

FJNewb, your rig is geared more toward expeditions, am I correct?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Has anyone figure out a good way to attach the L-track to the sides of the cargo area? I'm trying to find a way to secure the L-track on the left and right sides (not on the floor). I was hoping for something a little more secure than just bolting to the plastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts