Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, there is no external fuel filter on FJ 2008 to replace and fuel filter is inside the fuel tank. Apparently filter only comes with fuel pump as an assembly.
I hope that there is a external fuel filter hidden somewhere that I can not find it.
If the only filter is inside the tank..... I refuse to accept this total lack of common sense from Toyota....

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Yep....no external at all. Use as good of fuel as you can, and try not to run it on fumes. Drive it until it dies (if ever)

I'm sure you could retrofit something if it really bothers you.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Apparently, there is no external fuel filter on FJ 2008 to replace and fuel filter is inside the fuel tank. Apparently filter only comes with fuel pump as an assembly.
I hope that there is a external fuel filter hidden somewhere that I can not find it.
If the only filter is inside the tank..... I refuse to accept this total lack of common sense from Toyota....
This is not an issue to be concerned with. An external fuel filter is not needed. The toyota fuel pump won't pump any crap beyond the tank anyway. The pump is so precise that any dirt would stop it dead in it's tracks. So a fuel filter beyond the fuel pump is just a waste of a filter. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
by the time the filter is clogged up you will need new pump anyway.
everything nowadays is disposable.
the filter is on the pump because it protects the pump.
would you rather have something that gunks up the pump just so that you can replace a $5 filter?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
I think this is also the norm on many modern vehicles because it simplifies vapor control for manufacturers. Toyota isn't the only manufacturer doing this.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,082 Posts
X2 to the rationale expressed above. But, and it's a big but... I travel in very remote areas of Mexico where gas sometimes comes out of a 55 gallon drum. Help and a replacement fuel pump may be days and sometimes weeks away.

Having an accessible fuel pump and filter would be a plus. I'd certainly carry a spare. Since 2007 there have been several threads about this subject, but so far, no solutions... :(

Cheers,

dale

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
X2 to the rationale expressed above. But, and it's a big but... I travel in very remote areas of Mexico where gas sometimes comes out of a 55 gallon drum. Help and a replacement fuel pump may be days and sometimes weeks away.

Having an accessible fuel pump and filter would be a plus. I'd certainly carry a spare. Since 2007 there have been several threads about this subject, but so far, no solutions... :(

Cheers,

dale
well then you probably have to find something that would clip onto say a nozzle type of filter. like tie up several layers of cotton cloth around the nozzle?
as long as you are not dumping dirt and crap into the tank it shouldnt be that easy to clog up the filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
WOW! as I have thrown codes for both bank 1 and 2 lean... I've replaced the gaskets between the intake parts, checked all vacuum switches on/off, the fuel tank breather filter, and replaced all vacuum hoses, spark plugs, MAF sensor (twice-chinaed), engine air filter (twice-chinaed). I am waiting a fuel pressure inline clip where the quick disconnects are for the Middle Eastern FJs' external fuel filters. Don't underestimate the improvement of the designed external filter, as it just makes sense compared to a $500 purchase... and an in fuel tank headache- hard enough to get the tank down... but here's an interesting development for any with problems occurring with running lean, hesitation, or long term fuel trims above 30%... obviously a temporary solution to just keep going: put a mini fuse (15A) as a replacement for the 1 ohm resistor (that runs the pump at half speed). The connector contacts are the same size, and will accept it easily (don't force). Having been working my way to replace the pump, trying to rule all else out first... being overseas without proper repair shops is horrible. You never know when some stateside gas station might remove their gas pump fuel filters too, you might forget to click your gas cap in some Midwest sand storm ;) If you have trouble, and are stranded- try the fuse jumper! it reduced my bad idle trims from 24% down to 8%... test drive in a.m. to see if it fixes low end power losses, surging, and cruising +34% fuel trims. It may be what I need to get it to last the next year, until returning to US... or until I am rich enough and brave enough to swap the pump assy. Also eyeballing the URD upgrade with external filter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
With a bit of an Aviation background .. there is available (24 volt typical AVGAS gas Fuel Pumps typically for helo's) that filter's the barrels as it comes out of the 45 gallon drum ..thats imperial here !

What IS annoying to me there is no fuel tank drain (or at least I cant locate one) so if you do get a bad fuel load/water/or screw-up and put diesel into it, (and personally NEVER happened to me:bandit:) so one can drain out the entire tank it out .. no rocket surgery here.

Personally, I think a cheap in-line after market filter is a great idea :cheers:

cheers

WFM

Cheers,

dale

1 - 9 of 9 Posts