Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the folks in or around Lakewood who've had interactions with the Lakewood police, I am trying to find out if Lakewood offers traffic school or deferred adjudication for speeding tickets. Any help is appreciated. I know some places offer the aforementioned, and others don't.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got snagged by the Lakewood pokey on I-70, right where you narrow down by two lanes. Cop was a real prick, screamed at me and threatened to charge me with reckless driving because he almost hit a pick up truck pulling me over.

Anyway, I looked on every website possible to see about traffic school and could not determine whether it's an option in Colorado. I moved from California, and we have it there.

The good news: if you pay your ticket right away, they lower the fee. Also, I got pulled over twice in about 4 weeks, never got reported to my insurance and my rates never went up. Knock on wood.

Good luck.

·
Registered
876 Posts
threatened to charge me with reckless driving because he almost hit a pick up truck pulling me over.
Awesome, so he almost causes an accident and is going to charge you for it. You must not need the bachelors degree to get into LPD that you need to get into DPD.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It was kind of scary. Dude went totally ballistic. He calmed down eventually. Maybe it was because I was in my 4Runner and not my FJ.

I got pulled over a few weeks before this incident by Jeff Co Sheriff, in my FJ. He was totally cool. Loved the FJ, was asking questions about it. Still gave me the G.D. ticket though!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good grief. The Lakewood cop that pulled me over started out with a power trip, but once he saw I wasn't bothered, he settled down. Still, he was a real asshole.

A month ago I was with a buddy in North Denver. He was picking me up from a 4x4 shop, where I had dropped my FJ. He was in his Lotus, and we got nailed on Washington Avenue doing 70 in a 40. The county officer was pretty nice about it, and only wrote him a ticket for doing 50 in a 40. At the end of the day, he got a 2 point ticket (he paid the fine).

The cop who got me claimed I was doing 54 in a 40 (he was sitting at the bottom of a steep hill). He was full of it. I know I wasn't doing more than 48. Also, there was an old green ford ranger on my rear bumper, but the cop didn't bother him. A 4 point ticket - ridiculous.

I already hired a criminal lawyer to handle it. I would've just paid the fine, but the cop annoyed me with his attitude. They should have traffic school here, but I am thinking they don't. I seriously hate this place and its speed traps. I have lived in 7 states and have never seen anything like this nonsense here.

·
Registered
876 Posts
This the third state I have lived in, Texas and Oklahoma were the others and I traveled a lot in New Mexico. Colorado is by far the worst with ticket happy cops. I thought the Texas DPS was bad, these guys are something else. Becareful going through Thornton now, they just raised the fines on everything there.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This the third state I have lived in, Texas and Oklahoma were the others and I traveled a lot in New Mexico. Colorado is by far the worst with ticket happy cops. I thought the Texas DPS was bad, these guys are something else. Becareful going through Thornton now, they just raised the fines on everything there.
It's wonderful, isn't it? And how about the automobile registration fees? I nearly fell out of my chair when I moved here and it cost me almost $800 to register my FJ.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
1) Traffic school is an option in Colorado, but it up to the court presiding over your case and is generally dependent on your driving record. If you have prior violations you are generally out of luck.

2) Lakewood requires a degree:
Employment
They were one of the first agencies to require it in the metro area.

3) Denver does not:
http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/590/documents/2008 Police Booklet 04-01-08.pdf
As an alternative many agencies strongly encourage or require the completion of a degree while on the job, and support that effort with tuition waivers and helpful scheduling.

4) An education does not mean your exempt from being an asshole. I know plenty of BAs, BSs, BFAs, MAs, MFAs, MBAs, PhDs and JDs that are.

5) Drive fast through Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey or Utah if want to get a ticket, Colorado isn't necessarily the worst.

6) Cops have nothing to do with registration fees, talk to your legislators; cops have to pay them too... They are also different depending on which city and county you live in. If you want to pay less, go to the western slope or Kansas... I mean the eastern plains...

7) I hate cops with attitude, but righteous or not, they are often a product of their environment.

8) Can you guess what I did for the last ten years? :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Then you need to get your old job back in Aspen and forget about working for DPD, no one is going to like you otherwise. :jester:
See, that's just the problem, we need to spread the "good guys" around more. :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I've met a few of the patrol folks that work my district and have seen a variety of personalities, but no one overtly evil. I have met several investigative and administrative folks and have been impressed, but they were clearly the exception. 10% good, 10% bad, 80% mediocre... everyone remembers the 10% bad and mediocrity rules the day, just look around...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Sort-a like everywhere else and every other endeavor, eh?? Ron

I've met a few of the patrol folks that work my district and have seen a variety of personalities, but no one overtly evil. I have met several investigative and administrative folks and have been impressed, but they were clearly the exception. 10% good, 10% bad, 80% mediocre... everyone remembers the 10% bad and mediocrity rules the day, just look around...

·
Registered
122 Posts
1) Traffic school is an option in Colorado, but it up to the court presiding over your case and is generally dependent on your driving record. If you have prior violations you are generally out of luck.

2) Lakewood requires a degree:
Employment
They were one of the first agencies to require it in the metro area.

3) Denver does not:
http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/590/documents/2008 Police Booklet 04-01-08.pdf
As an alternative many agencies strongly encourage or require the completion of a degree while on the job, and support that effort with tuition waivers and helpful scheduling.

4) An education does not mean your exempt from being an asshole. I know plenty of BAs, BSs, BFAs, MAs, MFAs, MBAs, PhDs and JDs that are.

5) Drive fast through Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey or Utah if want to get a ticket, Colorado isn't necessarily the worst.

6) Cops have nothing to do with registration fees, talk to your legislators; cops have to pay them too... They are also different depending on which city and county you live in. If you want to pay less, go to the western slope or Kansas... I mean the eastern plains...

7) I hate cops with attitude, but righteous or not, they are often a product of their environment.

8) Can you guess what I did for the last ten years? :D
In reply to FJcruser123's response,

I didn't mean to come down on "cops in general" I am certainly glad we have them! It was just pretty shocking, being a law-abiding citizen, to be treated that way. I mean, the second I saw that cop with the speed gun on me, I knew I was done for, I immediately slowed down, hit my turn signal and started making my way to the side of the road, before he even got back in his car.

His angry approach and attack was an eye opener. I've been on this marble for 34 years, and it's the first time I've encountered that.

Agreed, there are a-holes in every walk of life, and that Jeffco sheriff was great, I even "thanked" him for giving me a ticket when he walked away.

I'm a moron.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Maybe I just kept getting the same 10% over and over; I don't know, you all looked alike to me... :lol:

But it was 35+ years ago, and though I carried a grudge for a long long time, maturity and self-reflection have lead me to accept that it was as much my fault as it was theirs at the time. They're probably all retired and/or dead now anyway.

But I still despise anyone who abuses their authority over others just because they can get away with it. I'm willing to take your word for it that those are now a small minority.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
In reply to FJcruser123's response,

I didn't mean to come down on "cops in general" I am certainly glad we have them! It was just pretty shocking, being a law-abiding citizen, to be treated that way. I mean, the second I saw that cop with the speed gun on me, I knew I was done for, I immediately slowed down, hit my turn signal and started making my way to the side of the road, before he even got back in his car.

His angry approach and attack was an eye opener. I've been on this marble for 34 years, and it's the first time I've encountered that.

Agreed, there are a-holes in every walk of life, and that Jeffco sheriff was great, I even "thanked" him for giving me a ticket when he walked away.

I'm a moron.
I know what you mean about the inevitability you saw coming at you. I've been on the receiving end of that myself and find it unacceptable. Gotta love a guy who can sell a ticket though :D !!

Maybe I just kept getting the same 10% over and over; I don't know, you all looked alike to me... :lol:

But it was 35+ years ago, and though I carried a grudge for a long long time, maturity and self-reflection have lead me to accept that it was as much my fault as it was theirs at the time. They're probably all retired and/or dead now anyway.

But I still despise anyone who abuses their authority over others just because they can get away with it. I'm willing to take your word for it that those are now a small minority.
I guess you're just lucky with that 10% :D

There has been a slow paradigm shift as the old school gives way to the new school. Within the last ten years and entire generation of the old school has been retiring. The good news is new faces, new attitudes, hopefully better training; the bad news is they are also overworked due to understaffing and perhaps don't receive the necessary mentorship as they are deployed quickly to fill empty schedules. Unfortunately, there are bad eggs in every batch and they set the low standard by which all others are judged.

And you're right! We should have clearly distinctive uniforms to display our individuality...:pimp: perhaps more "flair" would help... (Office Space) I mean, it would really help to know just who your dealing with out there!

·
Banned
31 Posts
Things to do if you get a ticket. Was it radar or Laser detector?. If both you can ask to see it. If they refuse or already zeroed it out. you can fight this in court. Take it to court know matter what. Judge asks guilty or not. Plead not guilty. They make a second court date for the officer to show up. 8 out of ten time the officer does not show up. If officer does not show Case Dismissed no fine. Anything is worth shot...

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I have lived in Lakewood most of my life and have found Lakewood's cops relatively fair but they can also be tough. You can speak with the DA the day of the ticket and get it plea bargained down to lesser defense but the bottom line is it's sometimes cheaper to pay it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts