Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Sparks yesterday and found out that their 2010 front skid plate is an after-market rather than OEM. I was informed by Sparks and confirmed with another dealership today that there currently is not an OEM skid plate for the 2010 - 2011 FJ. I also found out from a dealership that Toyota has apparently discontinued the 2007 - 2009 OEM skid. With that being said, it appears that Toyota is no longer going to manufacturer skids.

So this brings me to my dilemma. I really like the 2009 OEM skid and would love to install it on a 2010. I previously was told that was an option but later found that not to be true. Does anyone know of any way to mod brackets or if brackets can be purchased to install the 2009 OEM skid on a 2010?

The reason I like the 2009 OEM skid is that I really like how large it is compared to others. It appears to cover more surface area from the front visually. I am not set on OEM, but definitely want a skid that is large. I have checked a few vendors and their front skids seem rather slim. The 2010 after-market skid is larger but looks cheaply made. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
BudBuilt has a wide skid... not sure if they have 2010-11 yet, but worth a check...

besides, the OEM skid takes WAY to much ground clearance away !

ALSO, Check with Ricrochet on the new years too, they may be working on that tooo !

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I don't know what you are talking about the 2010's not having a skid plate. I have a 2010 trail teams and it had a skid plate on it. Removed it when I put my RC 6" lift on. It's black and slightly damaged from rock crawling but it works. It's not as good as any aftermarket stuff. PM me if you really have to have one.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
^^ what bandi said if you want max clearance. Or Ricochet is another option, a little less clearance, but nice skids regardless. 2009 OEM skid, That piece of thin aluminum, if we are talking about the same thing, provides less protection then standard OEM skids on 2010, nothing but bling plate in my opinion. Just my 02c

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
OK, See here below for a comparison....

They Already Are an improvment just by installing them, MORE GROUND and APPROACH clearance !...

before Ricochet's, OEM Skid Plat (AKA: bling plate)...

after installing Ricochet's SKID PLATE...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to go with the bud built front skid. I see on their website that they offer powder coating. Which do you think will hold up better? Powder coating or POR-15?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the bud built front skid larger in size compared to the factory front skid that comes on all fj's?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to go with the bud built front skid. I see on their website that they offer powder coating. Which do you think will hold up better? Powder coating or POR-15?
Probably a better call than the "bling plate." Mine is beat an mangled to the point I need to take it off while I can still get it off. :rofl: I just hit up Brad at Ricochet, and will likley be purchasing his full setup very soon! :clap: He's a GREAT guy when it comes to customer service, and his skids are AWESOME if you don't have a problem with going aluminum.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the bud built front skid larger in size compared to the factory front skid that comes on all fj's?
Any idea on which is larger in size? Budbuilt or factory front skid on all FJ's? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
BudBuilt Skid Plate w/Ricochet LCA Skids

Factory Bling PLate

Ricochet Skid Plate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts