Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Still good to get it out there in the event there should be a 2nd Gen.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Also my biggest beef since day one. And it certainly begs the question as to why the 5th-gen 4Runner got a 23gal fuel tank but it didn't translate over to the later FJ's as well.

·
Banned
393 Posts
why the 5th-gen 4Runner got a 23gal fuel tank but it didn't translate over to the later FJ's as well.
Simple. Longer wheelbase translates into more space for a bigger tank.

The only way to put a bigger tank in the FJ would be to sacrifice ground clearance, or to put the tank behind the rear axle, with the inherent risk of fires in case of a rear end collision.

The best answer to deal with this issue is to drastically improve fuel efficiency, by equipping the FJ with a different engine. One option would be a small-displacement turbo-charged gasoline engine, similar to Ford's Eco Boost technology. A 2.5 l turbo could easily deliver ~250 hp while cutting fuel consumption by 15-20%. Another option could be a hybrid, although this would help mainly city mileage, with little impact on highway. Finally, Toyota could bring the 3.0 l turbo-diesel currently available in LC Prado and Hilux in other markets. This would give >25% increase in range, although the driving dynamics with a 170 hp engine may not be acceptable for some "lead-footed" American drivers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
We have after market additional tanks available for the FJ in south Africa. I have it on my vehicle.
Total fuel is 150 litres.
So getting about 1000km to a tank.
If I'm not mistaken the original tank is 73 litres and the additional tank is 77 litres.
Fits under the rear loading area of the vehicle.
Would anyone like pics?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
171 Posts
Pics would be great!
Thank you

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aftermarket fuel tanks that go in the space behind the rear axle are very common in Australia. Probably because many of our trips are more expedition style runs where you need to be able to travel 1000km between refuel locations, not hardcore day trips.

There are a few companies here that make the tanks, usually in 120L sizes such as Long Ranger and Long Range Automotive. They have thier own gauge and pump (the pump transfers fuel from the auz tank to the main tank)

I've got a 120L Long Ranger tank in mine - see bad pic below.

I'd hate to think of the cost (especially transport) to get one from Australia to the States though. Over here ARB is an agent/distributor for the Long Ranger brand, so you never know, might be worth asking an ARB store in the states.

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From all that I have read, those aux tanks are not street legal in the US. Saw a company that made one that was an additional 19 gallons, went behind the rear axel and would have been great, but it was very costly and not street legal.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I would prefer a 20 gal tank.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It's been tested by a few people. The FJ has a 20-21 gallon tank already. The light just comes on way early.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Manual says 19 gallons. Did they pull out the fuel hose and keep on filling it up until the gas level hit the neck?

From my test the light came on with 5 gallons left in the tank. I've filled up when the needle was at the half-way mark, and only could get in 8 to 9 gallons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In Australia the Prado comes with a 67 litre auxilliary tank as standard. No reason they cant do that with the FJ seeing as there is aftermarket products for that from Long Ranger.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Amen!!!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
When I drive I hate stopping true it hurts more at the pump when I do but I usually go until the light has been on for awhile. I feel the bigger the tank the better.

·
Registered
639 Posts
A bigger tank would be awesome, but they could fix the stupid gas gauge too, I hate it when I'm driving, and the light goes on, I go to fill up, and I can only fit 14 gallons in...

Posted by the paid AG app, that occasionally "works"...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts