Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst planning some trips and working on fuel cap, especially while Im getting 520-550km for $56 odd worth of LPG, from my 102 usable lt lpg tank, I have spoken with a manufacturer about the largest front tank we could make to fit, that would still be suitable.

To make it work, it would probably need 5 minimum to be made to make it viable, and on current sums, we may only be able to get to around 86lt, but any is better than none, so Im probably going to go with it, and was wondering if this would be something others may go for, or what cap would be the minimum, if you were to want to go to extra fuel capacity?

Its something Im looking at, whilst we have some others for other vehicles on the go.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
correct.

86 is a stab in the dark so far, without looking at other options and dummying something up, but we may be able to add more, depending on wether we decide to move the exhaust closer to the chassis etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have to admit, that seems like a bit of waste for less than one jerry can of extra carrying capacity or am I missing something ? What about a bracket that hangs off your spare wheel to accomodate a 20L jerry can ? This would be a lot cheaper. I understand you cant go 90L long range due to the LPG.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont think we havent thought of that, but more is always better.

Im looking at more as well as the twin rear jerry holder, and the 2 on the roof, and the LPG.

What I found on the last desert trip, was the FJ got about the same miles as a 4.5 petrol 80 or V8 100, or LX 470 got from thier 96 usable tanks, and 80-100km more from the LPG tanks same size.

One thing I was thinking with larger tank, for those who do LPG, is normally you only get a 68lt usable lpg tank under the back, where as I have 105 usable, so more km could be had by increasing the petrol tank as well, for touring.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Have you checked out

:: The Long Ranger :: Toyota FJ Cruiser

I've been emailing them for a couple of years about the FJ.

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ Cruiser - Long Range TA71S Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Model Fitment: All Models
Capacity: 90 Litres
Fitting Location: Mounts Behind Rear Axle
Filler Location: Original, New Dual Filler Supplied
Fuel Transfer: Transfer Pump (Supplied In Kit With Gauge & Sender Unit)
Fitting Time: 5 Hours (Approx)
Shipping Weight: 35 KG (Approx)
Shipping Dimensions: 1250 mm x 520 mm x 680 mm (Approx)

We are almost ready to go into production with our FJ Cruiser tanks. Thanks to all the people that contributed to our online survey, with your input we have come up with two tanks. A 90L and a larger 118L version will be available (capacity to be finalised)

They both share the same shape except the larger capacity tank will hang about 40mm lower, but still within the departure angle of the vehicle. At this stage the 40/70 Combo water and fuel tank will not be developed due to low feedback, however if you are local to Newcastle and can work with us to continue development we may get it back on the drawing board for a bit of a challenge, it’s a great concept but does end up a bit expensive by the time you add a stainless steel water tank to the package and needs the numbers to warrant the development time!

If you have a US spec vehicle we still have a little more development to do as you guys have a large carbon canister mounted where our tanks have been designed to fit. We have looked at relocating the canister, but there is not much spare space available to achieve this so a lightly smaller tank will be required. Once we have the info we will hopefully come up with a tank for these vehicles.

We have worked hard with the shape to keep most of it up between the chassis rails as we expect FJ owners to put the cruiser to good use, if you have a bad back you will have a hard time catching a glimpse of The 90L LongRanger from behind as you will need to be on your hands a knees ;) The 90L tank’s rear edge is about flush with the chassis rail which is 40mm higher than the factory bumper.

Both versions have the rear outer corners tapered up to improve the departure angle even further, this is an important design feature especially on the larger tank so it’s not hanging down like a drop tank!

The kit will be supplied complete with sender unit, transfer pump and all mounting hardware.

A unique twin filler will also be supplied enabling either tank to be filled independently of each other from the one single filling point in the standard location.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That will not suit his car becuase he has the LPG installed at the rear. I have the long ranger tank. Range is good, but if your prepared to part with the cash I can understand why Daz went LPG.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went LPG, as it returns around $9.50 per 100km cost, [so about $55 per 550km] so if I take the LPG install cost, minus the $1500 govt rebate, the cost of the LR tank, it will take less than 8 months to recoup my outlay vs running on petrol, and adding more fuel.

This point was driven home on the recent desert trip we did, where my fuel bill was more than 1/4 less than the same trip in my turbo diesel cruiser last year, and petrol was up to $2.25 a lt, and LPG up to $1 per lt.

LPG tank here, 123lt water cap, 102 usable.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Numbers are impressive. Good value. You're not worried about it hanging down low ?
By the way, love your rear bar, it looks awesome.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You're not worried about it hanging down low ?
By the way, love your rear bar, it looks awesome.
Sorry to jump in on you again Elbo007... Looking at the pic, and from my limited experience it doesn't look so low for a touring type vehicle. If you roughly draw a line up from the tyre-ground contact point to the lowest part it doesn't look much different from stock because it's so close to the rear axle :slant: not sure that's how its done?

I do agree with the look of that rear bar though - looks like its meant to be.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You couldnt run that tank on a std FJ, but with 70mm lift and 35's, it more than acceptable.

I am also going to lift the rear a bit more, have just had some even longer shocks made for the back, so instead of 660mm long extended, we have gone to 760mm, to fit within the std bump stops, and the 40mm bump extensions for the 35's.

Just waiting on the firmer sway bar, for the extra height/weight now.

Anyone who has had a GQ or 80 on LPG knows you can touch stuff with the tank every now and then, but they are tough, and it has a good bash plate :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Measured up for a larger tank whilst having another car in for a custom tank this morning, and 25lt extra, which would work well for me, giving about 400km range out of the total tank, and one less jerry can to carry, instead of the 300 from the current tank.

400km is the minimum to really be able to do remote stuff, between petrol stops, to keep the LPG full until needed.

The extra height and the longer travel and bump stop spacers have all helped to gain some space to make this larger tank.

760mm long rear shocks are about the limit of the rear arms, sway bar, bushes etc, in terms of travel, and we lengthened the sway bar drop brackets to suit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey team. Hoping this is the place to ask. I currently have a 2012 FJ cruiser. It is my intent to get a 120L long ranger fuel tank installed and then replace the orriginal with a LPG gas tank.

What i want to know is if its possible to do and if anyone has done it and discovered any issues with it??

·
Desert Moderator
6,699 Posts
Hey team. Hoping this is the place to ask. I currently have a 2012 FJ cruiser. It is my intent to get a 120L long ranger fuel tank installed and then replace the orriginal with a LPG gas tank.

What i want to know is if its possible to do and if anyone has done it and discovered any issues with it??
I seriously doubt it - unless you have 2 long & thin LP tanks...

·
Banned
15 Posts
I just order a LRA main tank replacement tank, 31 gallons. If anyone interest in getting a tank, the first tank will around $1800 USA with customs clearance and shipping, the more orders I can combine with mine the less cost, a second tank then drop to $1500, a third tank even less. I have about a week to combine some orders with mine.

Joe Block. this is not a business and we planning a trip and the current tank will not make on stretch of the trip route.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts