Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm debating between 16" or 17" black steelies. This is probably a basic question...but I'm assuming I can put larger tires on 16's rather than 17's. Is that correct?

Also, what is the largest tire I can put on 16" steelies? 285/75/16? I don't have a lift and don't plan to get one either. Can I get any deeper than 285? I like the bulge tire look.

As you can see I need some help.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
i have oem 17s and am runnng 285-70-17

·
Registered
501 Posts
You will have more tire choices with 16's versus 17's. As far as being able to put larger tires on 16's I don't think thats necessarily true (you are talking about the diameter right?). Tires come in all kinds of sizes. As far as the tire width goes I believe 12.50" is about the max (maybe even slightly less sometimes). If you are looking for bulge try a 7.5" wide rim perhaps. However, for the best wear life make sure to check the tire manufacturers suggested rim sizes and don't go too far outside of what they recommend.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have oem 17s and am runnng 285-70-17
I am getting larger tires than the weak dunlops that came with my 2011 Iceberg. So you are running that size in BFG all terrains with stock 17" steelies?? Stock suspension without any rubbing while steering or even offroad? Your input would be appreciated before I make my purchase...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I am getting larger tires than the weak dunlops that came with my 2011 Iceberg. So you are running that size in BFG all terrains with stock 17" steelies?? Stock suspension without any rubbing while steering or even offroad? Your input would be appreciated before I make my purchase...
yup exact setup... i get rubbing against my body mount at tunring and compression... but im sure its just the body mount protector rubbing. but a body mount chop will aleviate that... but you really dont get rubbing all that often so i dont mind it..

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I'm running OEM 17-inch steelies with BFG 285-70-17 TA/ko's with no issues. I have an OME lift.

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
16" all the way..........but good luck finding OEM 16" steelies, I haven't seen any of those since late 2006 - and never seen any since.

16" wheel = more tire & less wheel It is a good thing visually & practically.

Jerry :cheers:

·
Registered
49 Posts
yup exact setup... i get rubbing against my body mount at tunring and compression... but im sure its just the body mount protector rubbing. but a body mount chop will aleviate that... but you really dont get rubbing all that often so i dont mind it..

Thanks. Two more questions
1. Does the tire still fit properly on the back and allow for the hatch to open ?
2. What technique did you use to black out the silver?

·
Registered
153 Posts
This thread made my day as it answered all my questions. Thanks!
Bone

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When folks say you might need a body mount chop. What exactly does that mean? Does anyone have a picture showing a body mount chop? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a 2007 fj with 17 inch rims. i just put a 2.25 levelling kit on it and am now shopping for some tires. want to know how big i can go without rubbing. looking at a mud terrain if that helps. thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts