Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work with a Toyota dealership here in Alabama and we just recieved an email stating that our first allocation of FJ's will be sometime in February. That usually translates to an arrival, on the ground, to early March. Just thought I would share a little info with everyone. And yes...I do have m name on the first one tha arrives!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Lwholesell,

Since you work at a dealership what is your opinion on:

#1. Putting a deposit down? I was going to wait until Dec. when the prices are going to be available at the dealerships and just order at that time.

#2. MSRP or higher? Do you think it will be relatively reasonable to get MSRP at a dealership?

Thanks for the update and letting us know what you've heard. I think Toyota has dispatched their team of ninjas to get rid of you. But we appreciate it nonetheless.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Toyota Canada check around on the site, or shoot em an email, or call your local stealership. there was another canuck on this or another board not long ago who said something about it being about the same as in the US, but i dont remember where.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I called up a few Toyota dealerships and I even have a friend that works
at a Toyota dealership and they mentioned a possible late spring Canadian release date. My delaership friend also mentioned that a 4x4 FJ will be around 34K CDN. He wasn't sure if the 34K price came as a loaded FJ as well.

Cheers
Liv Hard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Csherrill
Sorry it has taken me a while to get back with you. As far as putting a desposit down. I say go for it...assuming the dealer will let you. Just do it with the understanding (meaning you and the dealership) that you have first right of refusal. For example, the dealership may not be getting in the very color with the options that you want on the first FJ that comes through the door. But they will call you and and let you be the one to decide to purchase or pass and wait until the next one. If you wait too long to be the first person to have your name on a list...you may be kicking yourself. Let me give you an example, if three months ago when i walked in the local gaming store the guy behind the counter that i should preorder the Xbox 360 and that today i would triple my money...i would have probablly that he was giving me a weak sells pitch. (in case you are wondering.....look at ebay) And that leads me to your second question. MSRP...I think MSRP is a very fair price to pay...especially if you want to be this first guy on the block with a cruiser. Guess what...my family owns the dealership and I will be paying sticker. Why you ask? Becasue I will set the stage that every FJ will be sold for MSRP...or better!
On a vehicle like this, I would not at all be afraid to pay more than MSRP (well i am not going to pay more, but if you have to do it) and here are a couple of reasons why. Let me take you on a quick journey down memory lane. About 5 or 6 years ago, Chrysler came out with this fantastic new car called the PT LOser. It seemed everyone wanted one and dealers sold out. So I bought one at an auction...and paid sticker price. And if I had not backed it through my personal garage door, Im sure I would have made money on it. Second example...Lexus SC430....same story everyone wanted it, found a black one at an auction...paid 900 over sticker....and reatailed it and made $$$. Third example...Mini Cooper...yellow, white top....1800 over sticker (sort of screw up on that one) and eventually sold it and made $94.
So why do I tell you all of this? Not to pat myself on my back and tell you how good i am...but to tell you that even I as a new car dealer who has paid sticker or better at a wholesell auction, I have been able to make money. Just because it looks like I paid to much...it turns out someone out there was willing to pay more than I did. Now just like all 3 of the cars that i talked about above....the FJ will eventuallycool off or in other words...supply will catch up with demand. How lng will that take? Who knows. And if you are willing to wait that long to be able to get a discount...you have more self control than I do. LOL So thanks for letting me ramble on..I hope I somehow came close to answering your questions.
Lwholesell

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Ford did the same thing with the Mustangs last year and it took almost all year for them to catch up to demand. I don't mind waiting to get a good price. No need to be the first kid on the block.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If anyone pays over the sticker, they are idiots with to much money. I could afford to pay sticker, but I refuse to pay more. When Toyota introduced the spyder, I called around and found only 1 dealer that sold it for the sticker price. It's just dealers just taking advantage of a hot product. I can't blame them for doing it, since the name of the game is to make money, but I can wait. There will be a ton of new vehicles out this year. The X has already gotten a jump on the competition and been named suv of the year. So that leaves next year up for the FJ to take, since motortrend doesn't let the previous years winner enter into the contest 2 years in a row.

Sorry to run on, i guess being at work has driven me a little crazy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
''We aren't sure what the market is going to do yet, but you may prepare for a $3000 to $7000 adjusted market value to get one during the first year'' - quote from a local internet salesman.

Uh, can you say bite me. I have a lot more self control than that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Lwholesell said:
If you wait too long to be the first person to have your name on a list...you may be kicking yourself.
Leave the salesman stuff at the door Lwholesell. Comments like this are silly, and remind the rest of us why we dislike car salesmen.

Lwholesell said:
Let me give you an example, if three months ago when i walked in the local gaming store the guy behind the counter that i should preorder the Xbox 360 and that today i would triple my money...i would have probablly that he was giving me a weak sells pitch. (in case you are wondering.....look at ebay)
No one here is trying to make money on anything. We are here because we are enthusiasts.

Lwholesell said:
And that leads me to your second question. MSRP...I think MSRP is a very fair price to pay...especially if you want to be this first guy on the block with a cruiser. Guess what...my family owns the dealership and I will be paying sticker. Why you ask? Becasue I will set the stage that every FJ will be sold for MSRP...or better!
OMGFUCKINGBUYNOWBUYBUYBUY!!1!1ONCEINALIFETIMEOPPORTUNITY!1!

Lwholesell said:
On a vehicle like this, I would not at all be afraid to pay more than MSRP (well i am not going to pay more, but if you have to do it) and here are a couple of reasons why.
*gag*

Lwholesell said:
So why do I tell you all of this?
Lwholesell said:
Because you don't understand the culture we are trying to create at this site? Just a guess.

Lwholesell said:
Not to pat myself on my back and tell you how good i am...but to tell you that even I as a new car dealer who has paid sticker or better at a wholesell auction, I have been able to make money. Just because it looks like I paid to much...it turns out someone out there was willing to pay more than I did.
Again, *we don't care*. We care about getting a good value for a basic 4x4, not a $x$.

Now, I'm going to assume that this post was written in good will, but understand that unless you have hard numbers for us, we are uninterested in the salesman song-and-dance.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Cheers,
prat

·
Registered
24 Posts
There will never be surplus of new vehicles. After a 100 years the US auto industry finally figured it out. They will only make niche vehicle and just manufactur just enough to satisfy demand. Soltice, FJ, Mini, Lexus, Porsche etc. around 40,000 vehicles per year. There will be no DISCOUNTS on the vehicle. Not unless you call $500 off MSRP after a year or two. While others purchased at MSRP and have had the use of it for twp years.

Pony up the cash cheapskates, this isn't the car your parents bought!

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Fireice,
I'm with you. Its not like the Car Makers don't know the market. I hear too many guys talking about the only way to make the ride is a bare bones, no-frills 4 x 4. Too many guys saying "my-way-or-the-highway" , "I'm right and you're wrong". The right car is what each buyer chooses and he can only choose what the dealer offers. If they don't like it, they don't have to buy. I will buy it loaded, cause the features are there that I want. I've been watching the FJ (like all of you) since it was a concept. Car Makers make their money on the extras. Either buy it or move on. Of course, we all would love to have this car for less money, but you can't always get what you want. Pay the money, Enjoy the ride, LIFE'S TOO SHORT!!! :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
fireice said:
There will never be surplus of new vehicles. After a 100 years the US auto industry finally figured it out. They will only make niche vehicle and just manufactur just enough to satisfy demand. Soltice, FJ, Mini, Lexus, Porsche etc. around 40,000 vehicles per year. There will be no DISCOUNTS on the vehicle. Not unless you call $500 off MSRP after a year or two. While others purchased at MSRP and have had the use of it for twp years.

Pony up the cash cheapskates, this isn't the car your parents bought!
You keep telling yourself that to make yourself feel better. :D

Meanwhile I'll wait some time and get it for a reasonable price (and much more than $500) BTW I bought my 4Runner in the first year of the long awaited 4th generation and got $6000 off the sticker price, that's right SIX THOUSAND

There are just WAY too many dealers here in the mid-atlantic region, they have to compete and it shows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
this is my first posting, after months of lurking through the forums avidly reading every piece of news on the FJ.

I live in Puerto Rico, and have been asking around various dealerships any info on the FJ for our market. In general, none of the salesmen i called even know that the car is to be released in Feb or March. :eek:

I do not know if it is a marketig strategy, in order to keep selling whatever they have available now or they are a bunch of idiots that do not know their product.

Anyways, pricewise any car that shows up here has at least a 6,000 up to 10,000 dollars markup over MSRP. That fact, if the powers to be at Toyota decide to up the prices originally described as "great value" etc..etc... the FJ would be priced, barebones no frills, at 30 something :confused:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
redfj said:
this is my first posting, after months of lurking through the forums avidly reading every piece of news on the FJ.

I live in Puerto Rico, and have been asking around various dealerships any info on the FJ for our market. In general, none of the salesmen i called even know that the car is to be released in Feb or March. :eek:

I do not know if it is a marketig strategy, in order to keep selling whatever they have available now or they are a bunch of idiots that do not know their product.

Anyways, pricewise any car that shows up here has at least a 6,000 up to 10,000 dollars markup over MSRP. That fact, if the powers to be at Toyota decide to up the prices originally described as "great value" etc..etc... the FJ would be priced, barebones no frills, at 30 something :confused:
That's a huge bummer. I am so sorry for you. Move to Vegas.

·
Registered
378 Posts
ToyBox said:
You keep telling yourself that to make yourself feel better. :D

Meanwhile I'll wait some time and get it for a reasonable price (and much more than $500) BTW I bought my 4Runner in the first year of the long awaited 4th generation and got $6000 off the sticker price, that's right SIX THOUSAND

There are just WAY too many dealers here in the mid-atlantic region, they have to compete and it shows.
Actually you are both right. 40,000 vehicles isn't alot, but there will be some left. Enthusiast who have banked on this vehicle may find the price too high or just not like it after a test drive. And here's another thing. This vehicle will sell three times faster on the west coast than in the midwest. That's where all the marketing has been. I have freinds who call themselves 4x4 kings and did no know anything about this vehicle,and I refuse to tell them too ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have freinds who call themselves 4x4 kings and did no know anything about this vehicle,and I refuse to tell them too
Along those same lines, my brother-in-law to be works for a German outfit up in Detroit and test drives and helps develop Jeeps. Over the Thanksgiving holiday we were up in Chicago together and I was asking if he had heard anything about the FJ, and he was completely oblivious to it. And this is a guy who works in the mid-sized SUV industry...but I guess when you live in Detroit you really aren't informed about much.

·
Registered
378 Posts
a co-worker of mine saw this vehicle for the first time on my computer and I asked him how much he thought is would be. He said at least around 40K.
I love the ignorance ... ;)

Now I am really starting to appreciate Toyota keeping everything on the down low....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts