Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

When the FJ came out, i thought it looked cool, but didn't really know about it's offroad ability.
I had an H3 brocure at my house and was seriously looking at buying. Test drove it. I can accelerate on my road bike faster than that thing. Decided to look around. Found this forum. Realized it could not only do some serious offroading, but do it in style.
So after about 3 test drives, I went in and bought it. I stayed up all night reading through the manuals and going look at it in the driveway, just oogling. I don't remember what packages i got. It has the FJammer, A-TRAC, locker, and keyless entry. That is all i cared about really.
At the beginning i just wanted lift and tires. Man, it's like pringles, once you pop, you can't stop.
The stock FJ and Beau the dog.

The work in progress

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Armor
ARB Bull Bar
ARB rock sliders w/ skids

Suspension
Old Man Emu 886 and 895 springs with OME shocks

Tires
BFGoodrich A/T's in 285/70/r17 on stock alloys painted black (street and mild wheeling set)

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/51197-blacked-out-alloys.html

Super Swamper LTB's in 34x10.50r16 mounted on ProComp 87 series in 16x8 w/3.75" BS and Gorilla black lugs (wheeling set)

I decided to go with these tires for a couple of reasons.
The trails down here are mostly ran in jeeps. Therefore, they are just wide enough for jeeps. Most of the time the trails are slick mud and this is the worst enemy of the BFG A/T. To get through some sections, i would have to use a good bit of throttle and have some speed.
Speed + not much traction + tight trails = the very likely chance of banged up body panels.
So, i went with a very aggressive bias ply tire as a wheeling only tire. Tall and narrow to reach down into the ruts that most of these trails have. They are no fun to drive on the highway. The FJ felt like a sports car when i put the A/T's back on.
Another reason, 126 a tire!!!

Engine
TRD cold air intake
Doug Thorley y-pipe
JBA cat-back exhaust (tip re-routed out to the side)

Lighting
PIAA extreme white H4 bulbs
IPF 900XS series driving lights

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Recovery gear
Warn M8000 winch
Hi-Lift Xtreme 48"
Warn bow shackles and receiver hitch shackle
ARB 11,000 kg recovery strap
TomTom GO 720
Heavy duty leather gloves

Misc. mods
The Source 10lb CO2 tank
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/59758-how-install-co2-tank-rear.html

Body mount chop (done by Searchers 4x4)
Tundra handles
Blacked out mirrors and White bezel
Demello Hi-Lift mounts
Scuba mod (transfer, trans, rear axle, locker)
Cut rear mud flaps
Installed extra 12volt outlets (one in rear and one in center console)
First Aid kit
New addition: safety hammer mounted to drivers door

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My number one trail guide, Beaumont
Maybe more so that going out on the trails, his number one passion is to just sit in the backyard and watch the squirrels and birds play around. He will also sometimes try to climb the tree to get squirrels. You can tell he has duck hunting in his genes.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Trail Shots
At the LA 4x4 expo

In St. Francisville, a very fun/technical place to wheel.

Thought i was gonna hit this tree.

Lastly, me recovering a Jeep :p

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Hurry up, don't make me chop yours glowing green. :lol: Idle fingers are evil.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
More trail shots.
These first few are from a trail ride at Big easley a couple weeks ago.

notice no dent on the side :)

These are a few from the ride at Sicily Island. These trails (as jason and i have discussed) are WAY too tight to run a full size without taking damage. I don't believe there was even a single jeep that didn't get damage out there.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Looks great Layton! The picture with ARB sliders has skids on them. Are they modded or does ARB ship them like that? I've never noticed those.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great Layton! The picture with ARB sliders has skids on them. Are they modded or does ARB ship them like that? I've never noticed those.

They are sold separate. I picked the skids up from trdparts4u for cheap and the sliders from torasport.
The sliders have little square holes built for adding them via carriage nuts. Helps keep things from getting lodged in between the arms of the sliders. Also, if/when i pick up an air jack, hopefully from the group buy, these will make the point the jack lifts from a little wider and safer to use. Still waiting on the titan 4ton air jack group buy.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright i talked to my brother today, and tomorrow i am going over to my family's shop and picking out what leather set-up i want in the FJ. I am thinking solid black with the middle insert being black, perforated leather.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice looking rig!

Do you have any idea how the swampers do in snow?
Hmm, i have never seen snow. So, nope :lol:
They are not siped (could be easily i assume) So, on ice they would probably be slippery. I am guessing they would do pretty good in deep snow due to their very open lug design, but just a guess.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Keep the pics coming Layton. :) You guys do very different wheeling then the socal
folks and it's fun to see. We tend to see more rocks/sand/hard pack dirt then mud.

RockyMtnHigh,
The LTBs are not very good for snow. The big lugs tend to dig in. As Layton said, siping will help. When I find a cheap groover, I'm going to sipe mine.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
I like the combination of the white bezel and the blacked-out mirrors/door handles. Looks perfect on a Voodoo!! :cheers:
Yeah Steve, he did those mirrors at my house!!!! The man does beautiful work!!!!

Kim

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yeah Steve, he did those mirrors at my house!!!! The man does beautiful work!!!!

Kim
Ah, thanks Kim,
Okay, so my Dad and brothers business had a grandopening event at their new location they moved to today. Figured it was a good time to go buy check out the new shop (which is ridiculously bigger than the last), play with my dog, and eat some great jambalya.
While i was there, the Katzkin rep was there as well. I talked to my brother about getting some Black leather seats with memory foam and extra lumbar padding put in. Also, to get the FJ cruiser logo in dark grey on the seats. Oh, and i am i getting this at dealer cost, yay:clap:. I know some of you fringe and say "ugh, leather in a 4x4?" . I find these seats to be quite uncomfortable. It was the only thing i didn't like in the test drive. Maybe it's because i am a skinny guy (6'1" 180).

I have a scanguageII coming from Dirty Parts. (thanks Larry)

On the way home, stopped by Pepboys and picked up a safety hammer. Lot's of rivers, lakes, and streams near here. Don't wanna be stuck inside my vehicle under water with no working power windows and pressure too great to open the door.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
This is the one I was wating for since I relate with him on most issues and here it is, very functional, down to earth and great looking machine with all the right gear to have fun, including that great looking man's best friend. Very, very nice Layonnn.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts