Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The ScanguageII is installed. Will get some pics up, whenever i get something else added that is worth taking the time to upload the pics. I mounted it on the bottom of the silver panel to the drivers left via velcro. I didn't like the way it looked sitting on top of the steering column.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Your rig is looking great! :) and what a beautiful dog. :)

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Looking good Layton - :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Armor
ARB Bull Bar
ARB rock sliders w/ skids

Suspension
Old Man Emu 886 and 895 springs with OME shocks

Tires
BFGoodrich A/T's in 285/70/r17 on stock alloys painted black (street and mild wheeling set)

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/51197-blacked-out-alloys.html

Super Swamper LTB's in 34x10.50r16 mounted on ProComp 87 series in 16x8 w/3.75" BS and Gorilla black lugs (wheeling set)

I decided to go with these tires for a couple of reasons.
The trails down here are mostly ran in jeeps. Therefore, they are just wide enough for jeeps. Most of the time the trails are slick mud and this is the worst enemy of the BFG A/T. To get through some sections, i would have to use a good bit of throttle and have some speed.
Speed + not much traction + tight trails = the very likely chance of banged up body panels.
So, i went with a very aggressive bias ply tire as a wheeling only tire. Tall and narrow to reach down into the ruts that most of these trails have. They are no fun to drive on the highway. The FJ felt like a sports car when i put the A/T's back on.
Another reason, 126 a tire!!!

Engine
TRD cold air intake
JBA cat-back exhaust (tip re-routed out to the side)

Lighting
PIAA extreme white H4 bulbs
IPF 900XS series driving lights
wow dude! i really like thos plates you put under the rock rails.. what a great idea. what did you use to do that. i know i have trail gear sliders, and would love to have something under that void to keep mud n crap out of there.. sweet ride

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks string. The skids come as an option to the ARB rails. The bracket arms have square holes that captive nuts sit in. Then you just bolt up from the bottom. If you have rock rails that have round arms, you could probably fab up something with u-bolts maybe. I like that these have ribs in them to give them strength. I don't know my thickness of steel very well, but i think these are 1/8" maybe. The are pretty solid.
I wish skid for the rest of the vehicle would have ribs in them for added strength, may be able to keep weight down by using thinner steel if this was done.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
that is also my thought, when i saw those. i am not really into adding another 180 pounds to the fj right now. i am looking at other options and a smart skid mod that is friendly to it yet gives me protection i need. it does pay to get up early..thanks

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
that is also my thought, when i saw those. i am not really into adding another 180 pounds to the fj right now. i am looking at other options and a smart skid mod that is friendly to it yet gives me protection i need. it does pay to get up early..thanks
Oh my, they are not near that heavy for the skids. Im thinking maybe 10-15lbs each??? I easily held it up with one hand while i started to thread the bolts in.

Unless you are referring to full skids (not slider skids). I am still looking for somewhere to buy HDPE or UHMWV (or whatever those letters are) and someone that wants to split a 4x8 sheet. I have a few tools including a torch to heat this stuff up and bend it with. If someone around here wants to take a saturday and make these, i would be willing to put the time in and split the cost of the sheet.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. I just scored 4 hella 500's from a fellow member.

I already have bull bar mounted IPF's so these will go on the roof. There are a couple light bar options, the naik and like, which are basically a straight bar connect each side of the roof rack that the lights mount to. There is also the type that usmsgt ( i think) uses, the defender light bar or something. This is what i would rather have for the protection of the lights. A lot of the trails we run here are tight, and have vines or branches overhead that could easily damage the lights, so a bar over the lights is preferred to keep everything safe. However, this light bar is WAY too big.

My solution is roughly pictured below. I sent this to a local 4x4 fab shop and he said he could do it. It would still have a bar over top, but be much lower to the roof rack.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
:lol: nice drawings Layton!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Trail picture section updated with some damage shots

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It sure looks better than it did at first ,the "damage" that is
Just think it could look like mine

I have talked to "my people" and we will be going out maybe mid June to adjust the main trails to allow an FJ fit with ease as we WANT to see FJ's out on these trails
Ive cleaned it up a lot. I still need to go by that dent repair place. Probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ive cleaned it up a lot. I still need to go by that dent repair place. Probably tomorrow.

Yeah
I am looking into "dent repairs" right now
Poison Spyder is looking good
also Gen-Right could help out too ,fender is toast as you may have guessed
I am thinking that I will hold out until one is so far gone that it is just hanging
by a thread then replace/up grade
I will be getting a new bumper for the front and maybe the rear as well
Farthers Day and I am a Farther

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nice Layton, I like how you built your rig up, everything you have is functional. I'm trying to stick with the same philosophy.:bigthumb:

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
WooHoo Layton!!! Your rig is really looking AWESOME! Way to go Hurricanes!

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.