Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am weighing my options concerning the FJC, and whether I might be better off with a used LC (early to mid '80s) or a 4Runner (early to mid 90's). I could have either restored and upgraded by TLC4x4 (I'm fortunate in that I live in Southern CA), and I think I could do it for around $20,000. Good chance that I could save $5K-$10K over the cost of FJC. Licensing, etc. would also be cheaper.

I'd like to know what LC/4Runner owners think. How would either of these trucks stack up against the FJC.

I want a reliable DD that is also a capable weekend warrior.

Thanks for insights!!

edadis

·
Registered
86 Posts
My wife drives our 4runner. Its a 1999 SR5 4x4 standard shift. It has 108k mileage. Don't know what the street price is on it, but after 108K, there is still no restoring required (not trying to sell, just giving you an idea of the condition). The gas mileage isn't as good as the FJ (off by 5 or 6 miles per gal), but there is plenty more room inside and it I think can go almost anywhere the FJ could. (The span between front and rear tires is shorter on the FJ so the 4R could get stuck on some grades that the FJ wouldn't, but otherwise the 3rd generation 4R is hard to beat).

Down side is the sound system isn't the greatest and the leg room in the front is lacking.

All in all, the 3rd generation 4R is hard to beat -- I'm just too tall for it.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well that answers that, I was thinking about bailing out on the wait for the FJ for a 4runner. But if you are too tall for it, I probably don't fit comfortably either. So, back to waiting.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a '99 LC (UJZ100). Why don't you look at a later model so you don't have to upgrade. I have taken it offroad MANY places, and performs very well with just stock components.

I have thought about taking out the 2nd row seats, and making more of a camping vehicle, and lifting a couple of inches. But with the FJ, I will use that as my primary off-road machine. I'll keep the LC for the family cruiser into lesser turbulent terrain...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could go newer than early '80s on an LC or early '90s on a 4R, but the newer models just don't appeal to me. I like bumpers that look like bumpers (metal, not plastic) and a truck that looks like a truck. That is aprt of the appeal of the FJ. It has a coolness factor that is not matched by newer LCs or 4Rs.

At the same time, I'm not a mechanic (the most I've ever done is change oil and plugs..and that's been quite a few years ago). Since I place a premium on dependability/reliability, I'm willing to pay to ensure that everything checks out and is upgraded, as necessary. I'll probably still come out cheaper than an FC.

But, it sure is hard to get the FC out of my head.

edadis

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have the same 4runner as LR, a '99 SR5 4wd 5sd with sunroof... I'm 6'3" 220lbs (not muscle), and I hardly ever drive the 4R because there's so little head room. (I take the F150 instead). I can't even wear a ball cap when I drive 'cuz it hits the headliner... That's why I want the FJ. I sat in them at Ojai and had a good 6-8" above me. Very comfortable feel. The 4R, though a great truck, would have benefited greatly from seats that had some verticle adj.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Someone here had a link to photos of the latest model LC with some bitchin' bumpers-all steel and black and the vehicle lifted a few inches at least, and some great looking wheels...It was way cool. Can't remember where that was. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Spike Strip said:
I have the same 4runner as LR, a '99 SR5 4wd 5sd with sunroof... I'm 6'3" 220lbs (not muscle), and I hardly ever drive the 4R because there's so little head room. (I take the F150 instead). I can't even wear a ball cap when I drive 'cuz it hits the headliner... That's why I want the FJ. I sat in them at Ojai and had a good 6-8" above me. Very comfortable feel. The 4R, though a great truck, would have benefited greatly from seats that had some verticle adj.
6-8" above your head? really? that is great news - cant stand vehicles with no head space. that's one of my main concerns about the fj, the roominess of the interior. going to find out first hand at the LA show in jan.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Cali, you will be delightfully surprised to find how roomie it is in the FJ. Head room, leg room - I, for one, was AMAZED.

I'm tellin' ya... Toyota crept inside my head and stole my ideas for the coolest vehicle ever while I was sleeping. This thing is everything I have EVER wanted. Now all they had to do is release it!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yes, Cali, I was amazed at how much head room the FJ had... There was a big crowd, as you can see from the Ojai pix, and many many people, mainly the taller guys, commented on the available headroom. The seat, driver's anyway, did adj up, down, and lots of ways my 4R lacked. They folded flat back too. The FJ has a realtivly low roof line, so I was really surprised by the headroom. And I don't recall sitting too low to have good foward visiblity... All in all, I was very impressed with the FJ and can't wait to drive one to really see how it does in live action, not just in my head.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
all of this is making me salivate. jan LA auto show - i can make it.....i can last til then. this is the truck i think ive been waiting for - just dying to see it and touch it. i may just give it a big hug. to hell with what people think.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think it would almost be like a Santa photo, except for adults, I'll be at L.A. show so if I see grown men hugging this thing it should make for a good photo. Someone should come up with a FjCruiserfourm hand signal “ala spector SOR weird thing".

·
Registered
86 Posts
Percy said:
Well that answers that, I was thinking about bailing out on the wait for the FJ for a 4runner. But if you are too tall for it, I probably don't fit comfortably either. So, back to waiting.
While trying to find out about the leg room in the FJ a couple of months ago, I went to the dealership and checked out the room in an 2005 4R thinking that if the FJ is built using alot of the 4R, maybe a lot of room in the new 4R would confort me in waiting for specs on the FJ.

Turns out there was less leg room in the 05 4R than my 99 4R.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Every time I go to a Toyota dealership I always try to sit in a 4Runner. A half a dozen times maybe in the last couple of years. I keep thinking I must not be adjusting the seat correctly. But every time I've gone away thinking "They designed this thing for midgets." It's the main reason my wife is driving a Highlander now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I've got the idea that the FJ is pretty big height wise, since I'm 6'3. But I'm wondering about how wide it is on the inside. I always thought that the Xterra was a little tight, almost shoulder to shoulder with the passenger. For those of you who've sat in one, how does the FJ compare?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I have not sat in one yet but this may help:

FJ: Overall Width: 74.6 in. (prelim specs)
4-Runner: Overall Width: 75.2 (toyota.com)
X-Terra: Overall Width: 72.8 (Nissan USA.com)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would wait til you actually drove the Fj. Your'e really in a win/win situation...

·
Registered
181 Posts
granger said:
I have not sat in one yet but this may help:

FJ: Overall Width: 74.6 in. (prelim specs)
4-Runner: Overall Width: 75.2 (toyota.com)
X-Terra: Overall Width: 72.8 (Nissan USA.com)

The 4th Gen 4Runner (current) has plenty of elbow room. I came from a 3rd gen 4Runner and there was considerably less elbow room in that truck. I bet a 3rd gen 4Runner has the same or less width (inside) that the Xterra.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
The FJ really feels pretty big inside. It surprised me to be able to get out of a Full Size truck and find that the inside of the FJ felt, well, roomie.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The FJ really feels pretty big inside. It surprised me to be able to get out of a Full Size truck and find that the inside of the FJ felt, well, roomie

How is the room in the back seat? I have a 10 and a 13 year old.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts