Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I bent something down there and I'm looking for some good pictures of the area. I've found only one here so far in the bellydoc "weld-on spindle arm gussets" thread, anyone else have any?

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, here we go...

My driver's side:

My passenger side:

PaulThePhotographer's:

See how his look much more parallel?

I was hit in a rear-end collision, which I'm still fixing stuff from... The tires were toed out pretty bad after the accident (due to the brakes holding). I immediately got it over to Toyota that day and had it aligned so it would drive straight. They had a hard time aligning it, but finally got it within limits. As soon as I drove it home, I started noticing a pop noise every once in awhile when turning. I noticed it getting worse every time I took it for a spin. Today I think I figured out why...

:wave:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Did the toyota technicians think anything was bent ???? I can't see what you are saying looks bent. I don't see much of a difference

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the toyota technicians think anything was bent ???? I can't see what you are saying looks bent. I don't see much of a difference
I'm pretty sure they just didn't notice it at the time. It wasn't as noticeable until the last time or two I took the FJ out for a spin. I don't drive it much, it's probably hit the pavement less than half a dozen times since I got hit (2 weeks ago).

Look at the knuckle and where the LCA attaches to the spindle there.

It took quite a bit of comparison to find it. It's much more drastic in person.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
More pictures;

Passenger side, back.

Driver side, front.

Driver side, back.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
That's one hefty fee for a bent steering knuckle!:jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's one hefty fee for a bent steering knuckle!:jawdrop:
It's actually for all the parts to fix both sides. Both sides are bent!

Here's what I've got on the list:
2) LCA's
2) Lower Brackets
2) Steering Knuckles
2) Sets of LCA Bushings
2) Steering Knuckle Oil Seals

At least it's all out of USAA's pocket. Whew! :bigthumb:

$5,684 is the rear-ended tally so far... :flame:

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
It's actually for all the parts to fix both sides. Both sides are bent!

Here's what I've got on the list:
2) LCA's
2) Lower Brackets
2) Steering Knuckles
2) Sets of LCA Bushings
2) Steering Knuckle Oil Seals

At least it's all out of USAA's pocket. Whew! :bigthumb:

$5,684 is the rear-ended tally so far... :flame:

Wow! with the two repairs combined, you could have been pretty close to a full totaled vehicle claim.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Wow! with the two repairs combined, you could have been pretty close to a full totaled vehicle claim.
Wait, I'm confused! :lol:

The $5,684 is including the $1,967 for all of the front suspension components too. That should be it for everything now (famous last words :lol:).

My adjuster did say to get in there and check everything in the steering rack while I'm at it. The tires toed out pretty bad and that's what bent all of the front lower suspension stuff. The FJ has powerful brakes...

Edit: Partznet.com is awesome! I just got all of the above-mentioned items ordered up. Managed to squeeze in a discount (15% off orders $250 or more until tomorrow) and free shipping. The prices on the parts were lower than anywhere else too! :clap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts