Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finished the most excellent "first $2000" post and wondered if changing out my LCAs as suggested would void the warranty? For that matter would any of the mod type items on that list?

Anyone have experience with this?

Edit: took out the k after 2000k...feel like I am back in school again..

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

I get a little sketchy on this stuff: As an example I was at a dealer one day admiring an FJ they had on display which had a dealer installed lift and asked a service manager if it voided the warranty: She said no, but then another service rep immediately said yes. A tech then also said that the only thing Toyota would do if there were issues is tell the tech to take it back to all factory specs. This seems to be a pretty big grey area.

There is a whole list of things I want to do to the FJ but even something so simple as a bumper, which results in sag, which means maybe adjusting Bilstiens ( which I have ) or new springs.... seems that it might effect the warranty being voided possibly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
:soapbox:The reality is this: They can and do deny claims based on changes that are made to our vehicles. Some have zero issues at "their" dealer while I have issues at "my" dealer. Your best bet is to go into it knowing that if you change this or that they could choose not to cover it or the damage they claim it caused. In many cases if you get denied, you can keep pushing, go to another dealer, call regional rep, etc and they will finally cover it (usually stating a "one time courtesy"). The reality is "it depends".

If you make your mods knowing this is a possibility then you go in an informed consumer. if you can afford to make repairs on your own if they do not cover it i say mod away and do your best to get them to cover it. If you can not afford to fix it yourself should they claim it broke something then i would say drive your very capable truck within its limits and enjoy it.

There are BS dealers and there are great dealers. Which do you have? I have both near me. Which do you think I take my truck to :)

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... The quest continues for a GREAT dealer in the Portland area....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts