Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my 2007 FJ in to get the seat belt recall work done.

After the job was done I noticed the door weather strip on the passenger side was a little loose and I popped it back into place. This didn't reassure me that they had done a quality job but everything seemed fine.

Then, a couple of days ago we had a heavy rain and I noticed a leak above the seat belt harness on the drivers side.

I know that the leak above the seat belt is a known problem but I've never had any leaks before.

Is is possible that the dealership caused the leak while doing the seat belt recall?

Trying to figure out how to proceed.

Thanks,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, I took it back to the deal today and they told me that there was no way that they had caused the leak. They said that their seat belt recall work was all done lower in the base of the door and they don't touch the roof during the process.

I guess I have no choice but to believe them so it looks like i'm going to have to tackle this problem on my own.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
Your truck is seven plus years old. Are the rubber seals around the doors and windows dried and cracked? A replacement would be in order if they are.

I should add that I've removed the interior plastic panels from those doors and it did not necessitate the removal of interior door seals or exterior window rubber seals.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Your truck is seven plus years old. Are the rubber seals around the doors and windows dried and cracked? A replacement would be in order if they are.

I should add that I've removed the interior plastic panels from those doors and it did not necessitate the removal of interior door seals or exterior window rubber seals.

Ya. I wouldn't let the dealer off the hook so easily. And I would think the rubber doors seals would last longer than 8 years.

Seems pretty simple. Didn't leak before, and now it does. The difference is that the dealer had it.

Dealer story time: our new Camry had squeak coming from the sunroof area. We scheduled a dealer appointment since it was still under warranty. They acknowledged that the camrys had some issues with this problem and went in to fix it. I drop my wife off at the dealership to pick up her car and on the way back the headliner starts falling down on her while she's driving.

We took it back the next day the asshat tried to play it off like we had done something. I almost lost my mind on the guy.:|. Going in for our 4th try next week. Weeeeeeeeee.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
There are several posts on the forum where either the window seals have failed, or the door weather stripping has cracked and needed replacement, as well as threads asking for advice on conditioning the rubber. I'm merely offering suggestions.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
There are several posts on the forum where either the window seals have failed, or the door weather stripping has cracked and needed replacement, as well as threads asking for advice on conditioning the rubber. I'm merely offering suggestions.

Wasn't challenging you PDX. I am sure people have had issues before. Just as every other mfg that has sold more than 100,000 of something.

All I was saying is that it didn't leak, then it did. What changed. The dealer had it. My opinion is skewed based on my troubles with my camry.

Carry on. I have an injured goose to take of.:grin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts