Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, two problems.

My center console is getting extremely hot. First noticed it about two weeks ago after a 3 hour, 80+ mph road trip(i figured thats why it was hot). Then, today, my milkshake melted in about 4 minutes. Asked my self how the hell that happened with the A/C on.. put my hand in the cup holder and it was HOT! Pulled out the console assembly, and all the metal was way way hot, and same with the shifter assembly, HOT! All this after about a 5 minute drive.

I wouldn't say that is normal.. would you??

So, I figured i'd give a look underneath to see if i notice any funky problems...lo and behold, a leak:

It's a definite oil leak, but.. why??

Taking it in to Toyota ASAP tomorrow.. Let me know of anything i should be asking. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Looks like its coming out of the bell housing and the going all over the place from there. My guess the rear main seal is not sealing any more. One thing to check as well is that your radiator isn't all clogged up with dirt and mud making the trans cooler not cool the fluid any more.

Good luck at the dealer Dom. :)

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When i got under there it didn't look like it was coming from the bell housing, but leaking from the pan and spreading everywhere.

Im gonna spray it down to see if i can spot any fresh leakage.

I just the dealer doesn't try to pull some **** on me :flame:

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
It's gonna blow back there. Clean out your radiator fins with a hose and see if you had a bunch of crap in there. Clean the oil off like you said and get under there and find the source.

Are you running any armor? Are there any signs of impacts to the oil pan? Check around the heads too.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, sprayed everything down, nothing came off. So there goes that experiment.

Washed out the radiator.. it was dirty, but not dirty enough.

Since everything was cooled off, i took it for a little spin. Buy the time i got about a mile away, the transfer case stick and boot, AT stick assembly were pretty hot (i still have the console off). I stopped, went through all the 4hi and lo gears, rolled around.. no funny noises and such. No dash lights, and no codes or strange temp readings from the scanguage.

Hmm...

Are you running any armor? Are there any signs of impacts to the oil pan? Check around the heads too.
Just the stock tin, and the front half is mangled badly. No harsh impact point underneath the oil pan and that area.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got into an appointment for tomorrow at 1:30.. luckily i have my dad's truck to get me around if it is a serious problem.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
If it's getting that hot that fast, I recommend you check all your fluid levels.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Brought it in today to Toyota of Ranch Santa Margarita. AWESOME SERVICE! I wanted the 20k service without the oil change (my girl gets mobil 1, and they wanted about $50 for mobil 1.). So they did the rest of the 20k service except the tire rotation for free (i dont know what else there was to it).

Tech's checked out the "leak" and could not determine the source. So they went ahead and ordered a new rear main seal, some pump seal, and like 5 other seals. All under warranty so no charge for me.

They drove it around and could not determine the source for the heat issue. Trans was running at the right temp, and all.

I will bring it back on Wednesday to get the new seal's swapped in, and some more investigating of the heat issue.

That was actually a pleasant dealer experience... odd.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Curious to see how everything at Toyota RSM works out. I bought my FJ there. I took my Tundra there for service a few times. Seems the service writers are all on a different page and the parts guy has given me bad (mis-leading) advice. Good luck with getting everything worked out!

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:ugh: Crap. New problem :(

My scanguage has been a little off lately since i didn't keep up with the fill-up's again, so i haven't been able to constantly track my mileage. But i did notice my needle dropped quite quickly this tank.

So, I filled up today from about 2 miles after my gas light when on. I was in shock to discover i got an AMAZING 11 mpg. Holy cow. And i have been babying the throttle lately due to the fuel prices. I haven't gotten mileage anywhere near that bad since i installed my CAI, and that whole tank was pedal to the metal.

I Hope this is related to the problem that will be addressed next week at the dealer. Until then, the FJ will be parked and out of service.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
When it rains, it pours it seems.

Hopefully the dealer will fix the problem permanently and you'll have a decent rental to wheel around for a while.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No rental for me, ill be bobbin around in dad's giant dodge. :lol:

And it's definitely pooring now.. talk about luck!

I gotta hold off on ordering the radflo's in case i get a big bill.

What a week.

·
Registered
734 Posts
that sux to hear.. maybe the heating issue be from tini air pockets in the radiator? even if not you may want to try to 'burp' the radiator to eliminate potential issues.
exhaust leak can be a potential cause for the lowered mpg. do you have rough idle or 'ticking' sound coming from the bottom or woosh from the engine bay? just taking while stabs here. thanks goodness for factory warranties!!!

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that sux to hear.. maybe the heating issue be from tini air pockets in the radiator? even if not you may want to try to 'burp' the radiator to eliminate potential issues.
exhaust leak can be a potential cause for the lowered mpg. do you have rough idle or 'ticking' sound coming from the bottom or woosh from the engine bay? just taking while stabs here. thanks goodness for factory warranties!!!

Funny you mention that.. I can hear a "funny" whistling-like sound when i have the windows up and stereo off (sounds like its coming from underneath towards the back). Where would an exhaust leak come from?? i.e. a hole in a pipe or like a loose pipe connection?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Funny you mention that.. I can hear a "funny" whistling-like sound when i have the windows up and stereo off (sounds like its coming from underneath towards the back). Where would an exhaust leak come from?? i.e. a hole in a pipe or like a loose pipe connection?
almost always from the flanges. bent gasket (on newly installed exhausts) or loose bolt, possibly.. I think muffler shops do pressure tests to see where the leak is coming from.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts