Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I got it all back together using all of the correct parts. I was not able to salvage any hardware and had to use all new. The cost was around $85 between Pure and Toyota factory oem parts.

The *.pdf was very helpful in figuring out the washer configuration.

I had to use silicone for the nut housings because the previous moron who did the job had wallered out the holes

After reinstalling the rack, but before reinstalling the headliner - I leak tested it in the drive way. About 15 mins of various hose pressures and some buckets dumped. 100% dry

The headliner and all of the door molding went back perfectly. I found it helpful to remove the plastic trim over the mid-door post latch. It was nearly impossible to correctly seat the molding there without the plastic removed. I used a proper trim tool to remove the various headliner fasteners which required prying out, I was able to salvage and reuse all of those.

I used CLR Mildew remover to clean the inside and outside of the driver’s side front headliner which looked to have molded. It completely eliminated all staining.

The air dam light wiring was brittle and broke to pieces when handled. I properly rebuilt a harness for that using marine self-soldering and self-sealing heat shrinks, heat shrink for the individual and coupled connections, finished with a wireloom for professional finished appearance.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,942 Posts
Do you happen to have the part #'s for the Mastic and Fiber washers or we're they in a Kit?

Looks good, very professional! Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
They came as a kit with the bolts. It was around $20 for 12 bolts 12 fiber washers and 12 mastic washers.

Thanks again everyone for all the help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to get it all back together. I’m in the process of replacing the OEM rack with a Gobi. Two of the bolts stripped during removal of the OEM rack. One fell into the headliner. I see that dropping the headliner is fairly straightforward... but I’m out of time and, we’ll... removing the rack ALSO seemed straightforward. 😉 I’m ready to have someone sweat it for a price because I have to get back to work. I’ll order the $20 bolts and washers kit... and then find a good shop in Goleta, CA to finish getting old bolts out (headliner drop), replacing parts, and then installing new rack with silicon and such to make sure it never leaks.

would love to hear whatever other advice you have that wasn’t typed into thread already.

cheers!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Again, if you assemble everything correctly, adding any type of sealant doesn't accomplish anything and may actually be counterproductive.

The water seal is created OUTSIDE the bolt threads, and slathering sealant on the threads won't accomplish anything except make it difficult to remove the bolts if it should ever be necessary.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to get it all back together. I’m in the process of replacing the OEM rack with a Gobi. Two of the bolts stripped during removal of the OEM rack. One fell into the headliner. I see that dropping the headliner is fairly straightforward... but I’m out of time and, we’ll... removing the rack ALSO seemed straightforward. 😉 I’m ready to have someone sweat it for a price because I have to get back to work. I’ll order the $20 bolts and washers kit... and then find a good shop in Goleta, CA to finish getting old bolts out (headliner drop), replacing parts, and then installing new rack with silicon and such to make sure it never leaks.

would love to hear whatever other advice you have that wasn’t typed into thread already.

cheers!
The Gobi rack comes with its own hardware and the oem hardware gets removed. I had no leaks and didn't use any silicone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Again, if you assemble everything correctly, adding any type of sealant doesn't accomplish anything and may actually be counterproductive.

The water seal is created OUTSIDE the bolt threads, and slathering sealant on the threads won't accomplish anything except make it difficult to remove the bolts if it should ever be necessary.
The Gobi rack comes with its own hardware and the oem hardware gets removed. I had no leaks and didn't use any silicone.
Cool—thanks! I saw a YouTube vid wherein a toyota dealer guy was helping a buddy install a Gobi onto a 4Runner and I incorrectly assumed it was appropriate for the FJ as well. He applied silicon to the outside of the white nylon washer that the bolt goes into ... not to the inside. Anyway, thanks. I'll steer clear of the silicon.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts