Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know the obvious preference would be the $1000 full-on factory-installed leather seats. But I'm wondering about all of these leather seat covers I've been seeing. They all seem to be around HALF the price of full installs, which is great. And they look awesome -- when they're new. My question:

Anybody who's had leather seat covers for 6/9/12 months still happy with them? Are the stretching out and loose? Holding up to wear and tear?

Got pictures?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
No difference between the 2. Leather seats are leather seat covers.:cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not completely true. The seat covers are on top of, well, seat covers. (The original ones). Real leather seats are upholstered on to the foam padding. Seems like seat covers would slide a bit more on top of the factory upholstery.

·
Registered
947 Posts
sephcm means to say that there is no true OEM leather seat option. All leather seats in the FJ youve seen are in fact, dealer installed, and may or may not be seat covers (chances are, they are seat covers).

·
Registered
276 Posts
I dont have leather in my FJ but I can speak on my 4runner exp which is why I understand the mindset behind the question.

I bought a leather kit from Katskinz. I thought they would just slip on and maybe look like they had wrinkles. Possibly show small signs of them not truly cut and stitched to fit every nook and cranny but I was really really really impressed. Professionally installed by a shop that did boat interiors, they explained they would cut the factory clothe off and yes they slip on, but that is how the industry does it. Essentially everything is a "seat cover"

Then I saw the Great Chip Foose using Katskinz so I felt pretty damn good about the product I got. Held up great.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Not completely true. The seat covers are on top of, well, seat covers. (The original ones). Real leather seats are upholstered on to the foam padding. Seems like seat covers would slide a bit more on top of the factory upholstery.
The seat consists of the metal frame, padding and upholstery. (I know there are air bags, springs, etc. too). To get leather seats from the dealer, they pull off the fabric upholstery and install leather upholstery in it's place. The foam padding stays in place. The new leather is not installed over the existing fabric. By leather seat covers, do you mean a leather cover that is installed OVER the existing fabric? :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I have clazzio "covers" and had my reservations about going that route. I wanted leather seats not just some slip on covers. I was amazed at the tight, no sag fit and alignment of the seams and patterns on them. Not once has anyone ever spotted them as covers and I have gotten quite a few compliments on them. At much less than 1/2 the cost of having them reupholstered they are IMHO well worth it. I've had them on for about 9 mo. and 8k miles of seat time and so far they are as snug a fit and show no signs of wear whatsoever.... If the day comes that they do start to wear out I now have the option to remove them and will still have the perfect oem fabric underneath.

Link to clazzio thread.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I dont know about the price on the katskins, but I have heard nothing but good things about them!! I have seen them in person and was very impressed!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it true that when seat covers are installed, the process includes cutting off the OEM fabric?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Anyone know cost of Katzskins????
Installed, you are looking at 1000-1300 for most upholstery shops. Depending on if you want two-tone, embroidery, special leather, etc.

I have seen probably 4-5 different manufacturers of aftermarket leather seat covers. Katzkin is by far the best out there and most factory looking IMO.

Katskin has spent a good deal of money ensuring that side (seat) airbags are fully functional with their covers. If you are running seat covers OVER your factory seat covers, i would be concerned about the ability for the side airbags to function properly.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Is it true that when seat covers are installed, the process includes cutting off the OEM fabric?
No, there is no cutting of anything.

There is no need to cut anything to pull the seat covers off. They are attached by metal rings commonly called hog rings. There are metal bars that run through the seat and metal bars that run through the seat covers. The hog rings connect these two bars and that is how seat covers attach to the seat frame in 99.9% of vehicle seats.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Reminds me the 1964 Ford Falcon I acquired when my grandpa passed away. He had a pair of denim covers on the seats that my grandmother sewed up and I removed them to expose slightly worn but original looking seats in the proper redf color. One day I was putting in a new rubber floor mat (no carpet) and saw somefunny clips on the back of the front seat. I found that it had OEM seat covers (dealer accessory) over the original seats and the original seats were exactly like new.

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled programming. :bigthumb:

Be aware, when you buy these "leather" seat covers the entire cover is NOT real leather. They are usually leather on the seating surface only and the rest is fake leather/vinyl to match. Also, watch out for descriptive words like "bonded" when used with "leather" as they are essentially saying "fake" leather. Be sure you know what you are getting so you can compare apples to apples.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Be aware, when you buy these "leather" seat covers the entire cover is NOT real leather. They are usually leather on the seating surface only and the rest is fake leather/vinyl to match. Also, watch out for descriptive words like "bonded" when used with "leather" as they are essentially saying "fake" leather. Be sure you know what you are getting so you can compare apples to apples.
True!
Some companies base model covers only have leather in the center section and then vinyl on the outsides, or some other combination.

But not all companies do this.
Katzkin is leather all around on all of the kits i have seen. (i just went to their website and i don't think they have anything other than all leather).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts