Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting a tow to fix 2 flat tires today, I noticed that after the service at the dealership there is a scuff on my leather wrapped steering wheel. Not sure how it happened but regardless it's now there and is driving me crazy (I know, I know...WAY too anal).

Any way to fix this or is it something I have to live with? It's not too terribly bad but noticeable and I can feel it when I drive. It's at the 12 o'clock position.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
if the dealer did it, why don't they fix or replace it.
Some dealers have a guy that comes and does leather wrapping of seats for their make ready dept. Maybe they will cover it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same thing kind of happened to me from the dealership, only it was at the 6 o' clock position. I put on a leather steering wheel cover from Wheel Skins (Wheelskins - The World's Finest Genuine Leather Motoring Accessories, Steering Wheel Covers, Driving Gloves and Shift Boots). Got it in EuroPerf perforated black leather, so it matches the dimples on the dash. It feels more beefy and purposeful, not annorexic- so much better! It was pretty easy to install too.
I looked at those and on their site, they looked kinda chintzy. Are they better looking in person?

if the dealer did it, why don't they fix or replace it.
Some dealers have a guy that comes and does leather wrapping of seats for their make ready dept. Maybe they will cover it.
Unfortunately, I can't tell if it was from the dealer or the towing guy but I seem to recall the tow guy having gloves on the whole time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've put these on at least five of my cars from back in the early 90's, and it looks like they haven't changed the website since then! They look a lot better in person. On the site, it looks like they doused it in ArmorAll, but in reality, they're just natural leather, like the one originally on the wheel.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've put these on at least five of my cars from back in the early 90's, and it looks like they haven't changed the website since then! They look a lot better in person. On the site, it looks like they doused it in ArmorAll, but in reality, they're just natural leather, like the one originally on the wheel.
OK, cool cuz they look pretty bad on the site!

I'm thinking about the green with white inserts to match my AG/NY Jets FJ. :bigthumb: I know, i know... :p

·
Registered
63 Posts
I put on a wheelskin...

I was hesitant as well, but it's actually really nice...Thick leather, sews on. It doesn't fit the spokes on the steering wheel as perfectly as OEM.

I actually took OFF my OEM leather. It absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke...i'm not that sensitive but everytime I drove to work my hands smelled like I'd finished a pack on the drive.

Tried putting a wheelskin OVER it and the smell was so strong it actually came through it.

So bought another, cut off the original leather wrap, and rewrapped with the wheelskin.

Worked like a charm...actually killed any lingering smoke smell in the car funnily enough.

I must confess, however, my FAVORITE configuration was the naked wheel. Nice and thin, good plastic...reminded me of the good old days from my youth before steering wheels got all safe and fancy.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have a wheelskin, it's great, had one on my previous vehicle too.

If you don't want to replace the one you have, use shoe polish or leather conditioner to fix the scuff.

The best is to apply the conditioner first, then the polish.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a wheelskin, it's great, had one on my previous vehicle too.

If you don't want to replace the one you have, use shoe polish or leather conditioner to fix the scuff.

The best is to apply the conditioner first, then the polish.
Thanks, appreciate it! It has actually gotten a bit better as I think the oils from my hands have kinda worked into it a bit.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Old thread but can somone post pictures of their wheel skins?

Which color did you guys do with? Obviously I'm trying to match the interior as much as possible.

Thanks!

-B

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I need to fix my leather scuff on my steering wheel as well. Thanks for bringing up the link. :cheers:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Same thing kind of happened to me from the dealership, only it was at the 6 o' clock position. I put on a leather steering wheel cover from Wheel Skins (Wheelskins - The World's Finest Genuine Leather Motoring Accessories, Steering Wheel Covers, Driving Gloves and Shift Boots). Got it in EuroPerf perforated black leather, so it matches the dimples on the dash. It feels more beefy and purposeful, not annorexic- so much better! It was pretty easy to install too.
Do you have pictures of the cover? My steering wheel is starting to get pitted and worn despite only being 4 years old. I'd like to get a leather cover for it.

-B

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
They do have guys that will repair leather- but for the steering wheel its easy to feel the repairs through your hands versus the seats. They use a rubber epoxy that when its sets up, they press in a pattern to closly mimic the actual grain of the leather (if any is present) then dye it to match. I used to do it for years and its a real art. Lots of used dealerships use these guys to fix a wide assortment of issues from cig burns, to rips, holes in the carpet, etc.

I wouldnt say its the best solution for a torn up wheel, but for a small nick- they can blow in the color with an airbrush and you'll be set. Interior Magic was one of the larger companies and I think Dent Wizard also got into the game.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dealership scuffed mine too! Wow, can't believe it's happened to a handful of people.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts