Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Is that $300 EACH?!?!?

whew.................

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
These are what the Military are starting to use. They look pretty good from what I've seen.

https://www.ledheadlamps.com/tsMall/?go=Catalog.Detail&PartNumber=679

Who's going to do it first? Just modify the bracket and get this baby hooked up to your FJ.

Diameter matches at 7".
For anyone thinking about actually doing this mod, there will be a lot more than just "modifying your bracket"....

The FJC headlight is a molded assembly, specifically designed for the shape of it's 2 components. The LED headlight is a OEM replacement for older 7" round halogen sealed beam bulbs. These headlights do not have any mounting surfaces, and require a mounting "cup" and ring to hold them in place at a particular angle relative to the vehicle. So, you'll have to fab up the mounting assembly, and a way to attach it to the existing subsection of the FJC headlight mount, and then a way to attach it to the vehicle at the proper angle. Impossible ? no...but a lot of work replacing a molded part.

I'd make sure they actually work better than available bulb replacements and HID upgrades before starting this complex endeavour (especially at $600 w/o the mods :lol:). I'd talk your Jeep buddy into putting them in his TJ first - it's a direct replacement - and then see if it's worthwhile...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've actually seen these on PLS vehicles (Palletized Load System). I know it would take a lot of modifications. Shouldn't have said it in a manner that made it seem like this was almost plug and play haha.

This is something I'm willing to take on if I get the money and time. With me getting out of the Army I might have some time at least. Once I get MOS trained in my Reserve unit I'll be due a bonus so that might settle the money part.

It's the same kind of mounting system a HMMWV uses. If I could scrounge up some old parts that might get me a little close to the final goal and cut down on the required fabrication.

The lights look pretty interesting. You see a lot of circuit boards and magnifying lenses on each LED. The LED looks like a big surface mount LED. Reminds me of when I use to modify the LEDs on old Nokia phones.

I'll visit the motorpool sometime and try to take pictures. Hopefully this will be a future mod.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Thanks for doing the hands-on research. That alone would prove its weight in gold.... then after I get my new tires, skids, etc.... I'll be ready for the LEDs........ :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Headlight Bucket, New UFIX HMMWV M998 Hummer H1 - eBay (item 360144251180 end time Jun-01-09 19:33:49 PDT)

I wonder if this version fits something like this. If not it would be time to hunt down some Jeep parts or meet some locals when I move up to Michigan. Too bad it's backordered for so long. I should just suck it up and buy one in a few months. That would really motivate me to find a way to mount these huh?

Starting from scratch would be nice. That would allow to sell my current headlights w/ HIDs.

Oh yeah they're DOT approved BTW.

PS I found this all on Expedition Portal originally. I was interested as soon as these started showing up on vehicles down here but didn't know there was a 12v version till visiting that site.

Truck-Lite LED headlights

1 - 6 of 6 Posts