Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I posted this in another section but think I should've posted it here:
I've seen people put a 30inch light bar in the lower grill of their front bumper - I know Rough Country has a kit for the FJ. But, what do you guys think of a curved light bar instead of the straight one? Would it look out of place?

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's so low on the vehicle, you won't notice the appearance either way. I know I'm losing some light, but I've been happy with my stealth install behind the OEM grille insert. Wouldn't work as well with a curved bar, but when the state inspector doesn't see it, it can simplify things.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's so low on the vehicle, you won't notice the appearance either way. I know I'm losing some light, but I've been happy with my stealth install behind the OEM grille insert. Wouldn't work as well with a curved bar, but when the state inspector doesn't see it, it can simplify things.

New Jersey only inspects for emissions - everything else doesn't matter :grin
I was also thinking about taking off (for lack of a better word) the mesh piece in front and making it more flush with the bumper

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,106 Posts
I don't think a curved would be a good option for the grille, curved is fine for the roof as the roof line is curved but the grill is flat so fitting a curved bar behind it will loose the edges. That said it will also cast light out at an angle from the edges but that will most likely be blocked by the bumper.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think a curved would be a good option for the grille, curved is fine for the roof as the roof line is curved but the grill is flat so fitting a curved bar behind it will loose the edges. That said it will also cast light out at an angle from the edges but that will most likely be blocked by the bumper.
Interesting point - how drastic are the curves on light bars?

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Just a thought. If the light bar curve extends out near the edge of the bumper you'll be exposed to terrible parkers hitting it.
I was Jersey born and raised. (Bergen)
The state motto is "Yup I'm gonna hit your car"

·
Registered
879 Posts
IMG_3713.jpg

I wanted wide lights, so I cut out the grill and stuck my SS6 lights out through it. My bumper doesn't block it at all and the light spread is almost 180 degrees. It's amazing. My IPF lights provide the driving light function.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Hello - I posted this in another section but think I should've posted it here:
I've seen people put a 30inch light bar in the lower grill of their front bumper - I know Rough Country has a kit for the FJ. But, what do you guys think of a curved light bar instead of the straight one? Would it look out of place?
What advantage do you see to a curved bar? If it is related to the field of light, you can buy a straight bar that is spot/flood combo to project a wider field of light.

I have a 31" spot/flood combo, single-row, inside my tube bumper. It is a cheap Chinese light, but has worked flawless for about 4 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What advantage do you see to a curved bar? If it is related to the field of light, you can buy a straight bar that is spot/flood combo to project a wider field of light.

I have a 31" spot/flood combo, single-row, inside my tube bumper. It is a cheap Chinese light, but has worked flawless for about 4 years.
I found a good deal on a 30 inch curved bar that I couldn't pass up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put one on my front about 6 months ago the only issue I have is it is a wireless remote system I have yellow and white and a flasher. Would love to know how to wire it direct connect and lose the remote. It has four staging points. Yellow white flashing and off. don't know if there's a rocker switch that could give me the white the yellow and the off.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I put one on my front about 6 months ago the only issue I have is it is a wireless remote system I have yellow and white and a flasher. Would love to know how to wire it direct connect and lose the remote. It has four staging points. Yellow white flashing and off. don't know if there's a rocker switch that could give me the white the yellow and the off.
Is the receiver built into the bar or is there a little control box in the wire harness?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
A 5X" curved is going to be way more curved than the 30. A 30" curved will still probably fit behind the lower bumper grill. Kind of like this. Just bolt it to the bumper support.

Whatever you do DONT mount it to the top of the bumper. It looks TERRIBLE, GAUDY, ect ect. Light bars are pointless anyway unless you really live out in the middle of nowhere with no traffic, ect.

For reference, this was the curve of my old 52"

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use mine daily, on any secondary road as long as there is nobody in front of me or on-coming.
Plenty of deer here to warrant the extra flood and throw on the road.

Mine is tied into a hi-beam bypass and can activate with the hi-beams, so I treat it as hi-beams.
Of course I'm not one of the inconsiderate idiots riding around with my hi-beams on in traffic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any pics with the bumper cover reinstalled on the first pic? Im interested in a 20" light bar behind the lower grill I think, and installation was something I've been concerned about- but that looks solid and doesn't have any weird brackets or anything which I appreciate.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Any pics with the bumper cover reinstalled on the first pic? Im interested in a 20" light bar behind the lower grill I think, and installation was something I've been concerned about- but that looks solid and doesn't have any weird brackets or anything which I appreciate.
The bumper structure there is a straight tube for you to drill into.
It's also just about the right height for standard light bar brackets. You may have to space it up 1/4" or so to line up with the grille just right.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts