Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Post pictures, it may look a little buck-toothed /forums/images/FJCruiser2/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
I will regardless if it's good or bad

Since the weather was relatively warm this weekebd, I finally got around to installing it
I think it looks pretty good - install was easy - the biggest issue I had was loosening the nuts from the frame to mount the light brackets. Had to use a torch to heat them up and make it easier to get off

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Doesn't actually look that bad from the angles you posted.
Must not be a ton of curve in that particular bar.

The real question is if you are happy with the appearance and the light output?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Doesn't actually look that bad from the angles you posted.
Must not be a ton of curve in that particular bar.

The real question is if you are happy with the appearance and the light output?
As Iwashmycar stated, lightbars of this size don’t have a ton of curve - not just this one in particular - when I received it, I had a strong feeling it wouldn’t look bad in the bumper. Do I like it? Yes, but to be honest, I wish it was all black like Rigid’s Midnight series (not paying that much for a light bar) - not sure about light output yet since I have not done the wiring and switch yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I just installed my switch and it is brighter than I expected - I am throughly pleased - Pics/vids to come.

Does anyone know how to adjust the bar WITHOUT taking off the bumper again?

·
Registered
9 Posts
RC 30" Black single row. I like it.
Their newer style single row bars use 5W LED's, I think the double row bars use 3W.

https://www.roughcountry.com/30-inch-led-light-bar-70730bl.html

Here's the RC kit with the old-style dual row bar (chrome or black):
https://www.roughcountry.com/toyota-30in-led-bumper-kit-70650c.html
Sorry about minor thread necro. :) Curious what mounting hardware is needed for the single-row light bar? I like the look better than the double-row, but they only seem to sell the bumper kit for the FJ and the double-row?

Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry about minor thread necro. :) Curious what mounting hardware is needed for the single-row light bar? I like the look better than the double-row, but they only seem to sell the bumper kit for the FJ and the double-row?

Thanks!
I used the short brackets that came with the light bar and bolted it straight to the top of the bumper tube.
I needed 1/4" spacers (thick washers) in my case to get the height just right.
The tube is too thin to tap and get more than a thread or two, so I backed it up with some lock washers and nuts inside the tube.

I removed the grille insert and cut off the lower half with a razor. I may add some edge trim to the bottom inside lip of the silver trim at some point, but it's not obvious unless you are looking right at it.

Not my pic, but shows the bumper tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's so low on the vehicle, you won't notice the appearance either way. I know I'm losing some light, but I've been happy with my stealth install behind the OEM grille insert. Wouldn't work as well with a curved bar, but when the state inspector doesn't see it, it can simplify things.

which light bar kit did you use, mainly wondering about the brackets? i want to install mine the same way, seems like everyone else is deleting the lower bumper mesh and installing it flush or in front of the mesh. id prefer to do it the same way you did.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just got my brackets in yesterday, plan on trying to install them today. I got the ones from Rough Country. If you call them you can order just the brackets from their kit. I paid just over $37 for them, shipped.

Here's a link to their kit.
https://www.roughcountry.com/toyota-30in-led-bumper-kit-70650c.html
yea they seem to have have some really nice stuff, but $250 is more than double some of the other stuff ive seen which all include brackets and wiring relays and switches to go right in the FJ dash.

all im wondering is in the installs where you guys dont have any lower mesh, is that because you dont put it back, or because the light and brackets sit in front of, or in a spot where reinstalling the mesh is impossible?

·
Registered
235 Posts
yea they seem to have have some really nice stuff, but $250 is more than double some of the other stuff ive seen which all include brackets and wiring relays and switches to go right in the FJ dash.

all im wondering is in the installs where you guys dont have any lower mesh, is that because you dont put it back, or because the light and brackets sit in front of, or in a spot where reinstalling the mesh is impossible?
With mine, I could have mounted it behind the mesh instead of trimming it, but I preferred it flush.

·
Registered
58 Posts

I wanted wide lights, so I cut out the grill and stuck my SS6 lights out through it. My bumper doesn't block it at all and the light spread is almost 180 degrees. It's amazing. My IPF lights provide the driving light function.
uhmm.... interesting, i kind of like the look! I've almost pulled the trigger on the RC light bar multiple times but my issue is that I'm in CA where we are required to have a front plate and it would be silly to have half of the light bar covered up by the front plate. Now wonder if I could get similar lights as yours but mount them behind the grill.... :shrug03:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got it installed this morning. I used the Rough Country brackets I linked to above and a 30 inch light bar, that I had from Amazon. I wanted to keep my lower grille, so I ended up drilling a couple of holes, on the brackets, that are further back, to push the light back. Worked out great. I then tied the wiring into my factory driving lights, which I had converted to LED bulbs, so no worry of drawing too much current.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got it installed this morning. I used the Rough Country brackets I linked to above and a 30 inch light bar, that I had from Amazon. I wanted to keep my lower grille, so I ended up drilling a couple of holes, on the brackets, that are further back, to push the light back. Worked out great. I then tied the wiring into my factory driving lights, which I had converted to LED bulbs, so no worry of drawing too much current.
awesome, thats exactly how i was going to mount the my light also if i couldnt get it behind the grill. what kind of brackets did the bar you bought off amazon come with? suprised these china made ones dont come with all different sizes and kinds of brackets. guess ill be buying the light bar from ebay/amzn and just getting the brackets from RC.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would double check the total draw on those driving lights + light bar vs 2 factory halogen bulbs...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Keep in mind, if you're using a wide/flood optic, you're going to lose a lot of peripheral lighting if you mount it behind the grille.

·
Registered
98 Posts
awesome, thats exactly how i was going to mount the my light also if i couldnt get it behind the grill. what kind of brackets did the bar you bought off amazon come with? suprised these china made ones dont come with all different sizes and kinds of brackets. guess ill be buying the light bar from ebay/amzn and just getting the brackets from RC.
It came with brackets like these.

I also had some like the small ones shown here. I used them as a "washer" on each side, so I could tighten the bolts before they bottomed out inside the light.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is what the Rough Country complete kit looks like.

If you call them directly you can get just the brackets(the 2 on bottom right of pic). They bolt up to to factory bumper bracket bolts and place the light bar in the center of the lower grille. But using them with the holes they have, you need to removed the lower grille. I drilled new holes to set my bar further back.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts