Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm not running the factory bulbs, I switched them to LED bulbs.
I know, I was saying just because you switched them to LED, that doesn't mean the draw, now that you've added the light bar to the same circuit, isn't more than the factory halogens.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is what the Rough Country complete kit looks like.

If you call them directly you can get just the brackets(the 2 on bottom right of pic). They bolt up to to factory bumper bracket bolts and place the light bar in the center of the lower grille. But using them with the holes they have, you need to removed the lower grille. I drilled new holes to set my bar further back.
I almost bought that kit, but I didn't like look or 3w chips and conventional reflectors, compared to their newer black series that uses 5w chips and shaped lenses. The single row I used is the new style.

Old Black series, 30", dual row, 180W, 14400 lumens

New Black series, 30", dual row, 300w, 27000 lumens

·
Registered
399 Posts
which light bar kit did you use, mainly wondering about the brackets? i want to install mine the same way, seems like everyone else is deleting the lower bumper mesh and installing it flush or in front of the mesh. id prefer to do it the same way you did.
I just used the stock light bar brackets mounted to the internal bumper tube, which I drilled and tapped to mount the light bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
ok last question i promise. im fine with mounting the lights thats the easy part. how did you wire it, did you buy one of the "universal" lighting wire kits and just swap out the switch with an oem toyota toggle switch or somehow use the existing blank and relay/fuse box? ive seen some people mention that we are already "wired" for a front bumper light but havent really gone too far down that hole, would prefer to use oem mounting, than running a new setup from china for $13

·
Registered
236 Posts
ok last question i promise. im fine with mounting the lights thats the easy part. how did you wire it, did you buy one of the "universal" lighting wire kits and just swap out the switch with an oem toyota toggle switch or somehow use the existing blank and relay/fuse box? ive seen some people mention that we are already "wired" for a front bumper light but havent really gone too far down that hole, would prefer to use oem mounting, than running a new setup from china for $13
I planned on doing more than one circuit so I sprung for a Shrockworks relay/fuse block (just a pre-wired Bussmann with an FJ mount), and some OTRATTW rocker switches in the factory blanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For my bumper light, I just tapped into my factory bumper lights. For my other lights(roof and rear) I used some universal light kits then added switches I got from Amazon. I also found this cool switch plate(made out of aluminum and comes in numerous colors) on Amazon. The ejection seat switch is not hooked up. It actually just pushed into the hole I had used for my rear lights earlier. I'll eventually hook something up to it.

Switch panel https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751NNWWB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
I planned on doing more than one circuit so I sprung for a Shrockworks relay/fuse block (just a pre-wired Bussmann with an FJ mount), and some OTRATTW rocker switches in the factory blanks.

You are going to like the Bussman! The wires are long enough to run into the cab and switch location. Take your time and plan your wiring routes/runs and it will look like it belongs and no rats nests.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You are going to like the Bussman! The wires are long enough to run into the cab and switch location. Take your time and plan your wiring routes/runs and it will look like it belongs and no rats nests.
I've had it mounted since January, and yes I like it. I bundled and wrapped the switch wires through a factory firewall grommet, but I do have the rest of the unused (for now) wiring coiled and stowed by the master cylinder.
can't route it if I'm not sure what it's going to be used to power...

·
Registered
879 Posts
uhmm.... interesting, i kind of like the look! I've almost pulled the trigger on the RC light bar multiple times but my issue is that I'm in CA where we are required to have a front plate and it would be silly to have half of the light bar covered up by the front plate. Now wonder if I could get similar lights as yours but mount them behind the grill.... :shrug03:
They would certainly work that way. I wouldn't use the wide version in that application though. You'd loose half the light against the sides of the grill.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I used a switch that fit in the existing blank and a relay. Works really well and was inexpensive.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I used an Add-a-Fuse to the push button that fit in a factory knock-out behind the steering wheel, which triggers a relay that feeds the light from the battery.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Has anyone ever installed a single row bar, into that fake air inlet on the hood. i think thatd look sickk....
It's been done, but even if you cut out some hood supports, you won't fit a conventional light bar in there.

On the other hand, I'll be replacing my mirror marker lights with some LED spot pods at some point in the near future. Wired separately from the parking light circuit of course...

ETA: example hood light bar thread:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/lighting/147939-hood-vent-led-light-bar-mod-complete.html

ETAA: There's also this monstrosity:

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's been done, but even if you cut out some hood supports, you won't fit a conventional light bar in there.

On the other hand, I'll be replacing my mirror marker lights with some LED spot pods at some point in the near future. Wired separately from the parking light circuit of course...

ETA: example hood light bar thread:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/lighting/147939-hood-vent-led-light-bar-mod-complete.html

ETAA: There's also this monstrosity:

Thanks! I knew it had probably been done i just havent stumbled across it yet!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts