Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased these,

Got these taillights and about a month later I got the 4 check lights of death. So I ran down to the local dealership and told them to just check the code. They said its brake sensor related and the LED's most likely are sending spikes of voltage and tripping up the ABS. They didnt charge me and i figured well if that's all I'd just drive around with the lights coming on occasionally. I definitely noticed an on/off pattern of the check lights related to my stops and starts on the street. I thought maybe it would go away or at least this would be the only problem

Shortly at around 2 months, I noticed when I got in my truck, started it, I could not get it out of park. I figure maybe its not fully engaged so I violently rock back and forth to move the truck around. I also would slam the brake pedal and rotate the steering wheel. Still I thought aww, I'll ride it out because it's not that consistent or annoying YET. Last week was the worst, locked up in park every time I turned on the car. Yesterday the passenger airbag light came on. AND then today somebody in a drive through gave me a heads up that my brake lights don't work.

As soon as it stops raining, I'm yanking these things out and smashing them with a hammer.

Has anybody had problems similar, sadly I'm drawn to chalk it up as an isolated bad batch and me and my bad luck, as I have searched the forums for similar stories and found nothing?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't have any experience with them, I guess I don't see the point in LEDs, so I'm in agreement with your assessment of these being more trouble than they're worth.

Personally I like to do mods that result in an improvement in functionality, LEDs don't fall into that category for me. Now if I had no lights . . . these would be an improvement.:clap:

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
Wow, I had zero issues with the IPCW's, front or rear. Nor have I heard of anything like this happening before.

Have you contacted the manufacturer directly? I know the very first batches had a circuit issue that was causing them to blink rapidly, and in that case they were responsive in taking care of it.

If this problem you are experiencing is actually linked to the lights, then I'd imagine they'd take care of you just the same. There could be a liability issue there that I'm sure they'd like to avoid.

That being said, I agree with Lock_n_Load. Probably the most pointless mod I've made, although the LED's in the back really are nice and bright at night.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Lots of issues on motorcycles with LEDS. Its the Load of a standard bulb VS almost no load from the LEDS. A lot of us had to buy load equalizer which adds load to the load of the led light so the Computer would see it as it was programed.

In some cases just by removing standard bulbs for LEDS on motorcycles the Computer made a click noise under the cam shaft cover and it would drain the battery over night. Craziness. Load equalizer are fairly cheap and you just run them inline between the led and CPU. Real easy MOD.

Here is a link to what I used on my motorcycle. Never had an issue after I added this unit.

Amazon.com: Kuryakyn Load Equalizer 4-amp: Automotive
________
Live sex webshows

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
A friend of mine that rides a motorcycle just wired in a normal bulb to the wire run which acts as a resistor and slowed the flash rate. Worked fine for him. He just put the bulb under his seat in a little spot and wrapped it with appropriate material.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have a set and have no issues so far. They aren't the same model, but are LEDs.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Thanks for these posts guys.

Even though I wasn't considering this mod, I can now add it to the list of "absolutely don't want".

Seems like way too many issues, and some that could be serious safety concerns.

Jerry:cheers:

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
I wouldn't write them off simply because of a single isolated incident, but they really are a tertiary mod.

Nothing against d.blick, but we can't know if they were installed properly, the condition of this particular vehicle's electrical system, or if other mods may have conflicted with it.

Nearly all of us that have them have experienced zero problems, so if you like them you're more than likely safe.

Of course, your life won't end without them. I really do have to say they are more distinctive at night than the stockers, though.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be fair, they are simply plug and play and I have no other electronic modification on my vehicle.

I would have not been so puzzled had this been more complex on my end. Thanks for the input, I figured there would be solution to "load" error.

Also I got them off ebay so I wouldn't bother contacting anybody but maybe I should just try.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I don't have any experience with them, I guess I don't see the point in LEDs, so I'm in agreement with your assessment of these being more trouble than they're worth.

Personally I like to do mods that result in an improvement in functionality, LEDs don't fall into that category for me. Now if I had no lights . . . these would be an improvement.:clap:
If done right they a lot more for functionality than just looks. LED's light up quicker than traditional incandescent bulbs. Not sure on the exact numbers, but when traveling 65+ on the freeway, the fraction of a second could determine if you get rear ended or not. The person driving behind you has overall stopping time that is dependent of perception, action, and brake time. You can't make them physically slam the brake any quicker or decrease their stopping distance, but their time to perceive and think can be decreased by letting them see that you are braking a few hundredths of a second sooner.

But this quicker response from LED's is the same reason why some people experience problems with the electrical systems.

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
Also I got them off ebay so I wouldn't bother contacting anybody but maybe I should just try.
Were they used, or from a company? I got mine via eBay, too, and the retail packaging came with contact info from IPCW. Unfortunately, I tossed all that after installing them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
new in box, I just have a preference for clean minimal living so I toss everything.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I ordered and paid for this same set nearly 3 months ago, but they're still on back-order from IPCW (still no ETA on when I'll get them).

I wonder if they're re-doing something to resolve this type of issue.

Regardless, whenever I finally get mine, I can post up any contact details that come with the packaging.

·
Registered
955 Posts
If done right they a lot more for functionality than just looks. LED's light up quicker than traditional incandescent bulbs. Not sure on the exact numbers, but when traveling 65+ on the freeway, the fraction of a second could determine if you get rear ended or not. The person driving behind you has overall stopping time that is dependent of perception, action, and brake time. You can't make them physically slam the brake any quicker or decrease their stopping distance, but their time to perceive and think can be decreased by letting them see that you are braking a few hundredths of a second sooner.

But this quicker response from LED's is the same reason why some people experience problems with the electrical systems.
you're right about the facts on LED tail lights but the problem is that often times these ebay LEDs really arent brighter then the standard fj tail.

factory oem LED tails on higher end cars vs ebay kits are vastly different.

at the end of the day, its up to you but i have no problems with my stock lights.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Update, well i switched out the LEDS back to the stock bulbs.

blinkers work, daytime and night lights work. Brake lights worked for 3rd and left side, not on the right. Then I hit the brakes for the second time and none come on.

Then it started pouring and I went in side. So, tomorrow I will check the fuses, maybe disconnect the battery, and if that's not it then head down to the dealership.

·
Registered
483 Posts
They said its brake sensor related and the LED's most likely are sending spikes of voltage and tripping up the ABS. [/QUOTE]

thats a load of bull, if there was any loss or surge of power, your car would surge as if i was lurching forward, i know because of all the aftermarket lights compressor, horns i have hooked up to my fj i think they told you that so you wouldnt come back about the issue since its not a part they sell, dont trust anything the dealership tells you even if they tell you your fj is a 4.0 v6 made in japan :lol:

·
Registered
272 Posts
The only way a LED/Light would cause a voltage spike is if there was a load dump. This is when the load suddenly disappears the energy stored in the wiring in the form of inductance suddenly releases and causes a spike in voltage. This is the basic principle behind a boost converter. In this case that load dump would be when the flasher relay shuts off power to the blinker, but this load dump is actually load dependent. Meaning that the higher the load the higher the voltage spike would be. This means that any voltage spike would be worse with an incandescent bulb. The likeliness that there is enough inductance in the wiring to cause a voltage spike from the load dump is very slim. Even so, automotive systems are required to handle over much higher voltages. This is because they are designed to handle a double battery jump from a tow truck.

Most likely there is an issue with the wiring causing a short somewhere in the system. The dealer is feeding you a load of crap.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the only way a led/light would cause a voltage spike is if there was a load dump. This is when the load suddenly disappears the energy stored in the wiring in the form of inductance suddenly releases and causes a spike in voltage. This is the basic principle behind a boost converter. In this case that load dump would be when the flasher relay shuts off power to the blinker, but this load dump is actually load dependent. Meaning that the higher the load the higher the voltage spike would be. This means that any voltage spike would be worse with an incandescent bulb. The likeliness that there is enough inductance in the wiring to cause a voltage spike from the load dump is very slim. Even so, automotive systems are required to handle over much higher voltages. This is because they are designed to handle a double battery jump from a tow truck.

Most likely there is an issue with the wiring causing a short somewhere in the system. The dealer is feeding you a load of crap.
fuuuuuuudge :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts