Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So maybe not an epic story. But a story on why I would not suggest the set up of a Smitybilt front bumper and a rezfab skidplate.

While out doing some light wheeling I came over a hill and was about 2 feet away from a tree. But felt my rig bump and stop. I thought i was at least 2 feet away from the tree I couldn't have possibly hit it. I backed up and got out and sure enough someone half cut a tree and pointed it towards the trail and that what I hit. (see pic 2 &3) I looked at my FJ and there was a nice puddle of pink coolant. So in this specific set up there is about a 6 inch gap between the bumper and skid plate.(see pic 1) guess where that half cut tree punched thru and you guessed it the radiator is right there too. (pic 4&5) So needless to say I spent the rest of the day towing my FJ and installing a new radiator.

The next morning I woke up and decided i would go back up and finish cutting the tree so no one else hit it and ended up in the same situation I was in. While up there I figured I come down here often I might as well clean up the area a bit. I moved some down trees, cleaned up some trash ect I was just up there to recover the area not wheeling. On the way out I hit an ice patch and broke thru the ice. I've done this a bunch of times on the past also with no issues I backed up and kept driving out. Then I smelt coolant....... I thought I must have not tightened a coolant hose the day before (after all I was 6 beers in) I popped the hood and everything looked good. I kept driving and sure enough I started to watch the temperature rise again! I get out and there is all that pink coolant sitting in the snow again! (pic 6) Could lightning have struck twice in one spot?.....Sure did when I fell thru the ice and block of ice took out my new radiator that was just installed less then 12 hours earlier. (pic 7 & 8)

Can you believe it? LOL. Had I ran the stock set up I had prior this wouldnt have been an issue as the stock TRD skid plate always protected me from ice chunks. So if you do this combo be sure to get something made to protect this area....... :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
While I'm not much of a RESZ supporter, that front skid is normal and most, if not all, front skids run the same way from front radiator support member. You would need a plate that covers the gap and some companies offer that, but not sure they would all fit the same. Sorry to hear about the misfortune 2x. Hope it's not too much of a strain, having to do it over.

Warrior front plate
pdint_2_image_38456.15720061068647.jpg

Shrockworks bumper with the fill plate
Screenshot_20200213-171114_Kiwi Browser.jpg

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Definitely bad luck. I think a lot of the other bumper offering appear to cover more of that area than the Smitty though.

Also, is it just your picture or is that sway bar link bent?

·
Registered
49 Posts
From looking at it, pretty sure the "someone" that halfway cut the tree was a beaver. Still a bummer though.

·
Admin
6,863 Posts
Nasty... sorry that happened to you.

Yeah, pretty much every bumper needs a "fill plate" below it to cover that area. My ARB bumper and Ricochet skids have a fill plate below the bumper.... otherwise the rad would be exposed on mine as well.

20200115_142810.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
You identified a weak link, and that’s always good. Did you buy the standard, cheap radiators or the upgraded capacity ones? Was the impact on the plastic frame or straight into the core? Know it doesn’t much matter at this point, just curious.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ready for test fit
You identified a weak link, and that’s always good. Did you buy the standard, cheap radiators or the upgraded capacity ones? Was the impact on the plastic frame or straight into the core? Know it doesn’t much matter at this point, just curious.
Impact was to the core but broke the plastic. No upgrade were available. Just regular OEM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts