Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 2102 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Are you getting cell "service" there with data? I have promised others to post pics, some are living in Phoenix and want pictures of those green and brown things called trees.

Also I'm thinking of changing cell phone providers, currently on ATT. I guess that I will find out tomorrow.

Yes but I have Verizon. Don’t know about AT&T. Will just have to try it when you get here. If nothing else you can use my phone as a hot spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
441 Posts

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,312 Posts
Jemez Mountains, New Mexico

1 of 2 awnings mounted. 2nd one will be installed next spring and tapered awning walls all the way around

Attachments

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Took a three-day get-away to Sequoia with dog and GF for some peace and quiet, and it was fantastic in every way. There is an area of Sequoia National Forest between Sequoia National Park and King's Canyon National Park that is open to unrestricted camping, and we found an awesome campsite at around 7800 feet elevation with an amazing view, a flat-topped granite outcropping that served as a cooking platform and table, and total isolation from any signs of civilization.

No bugs, no people, no jet contrails in the sky, 70 degrees during the day and 50 at night, all the firewood you could ever need within a 50' radius of camp, everything was perfect. It was so quiet that you could hear the wind ruffling the feathers of a crow that banked overhead at treetop level every morning, checking us out. The only sounds were an occasional gentle rustling of wind through the trees, the crow, and a distant frog croaking in the morning. This area is geologically very interesting, with many large areas of exposed smooth granite bedrock, probably glacier-smoothed eons ago.

Not too far away was the largest Sequoia tree (by volume) in the National Park system, standing alone in a remote area where all the other Sequoias were logged in the late 1800's. Maybe it was spared because just too massive to haul out once cut, since it's on the opposite side of a ridge from the rest of the grove. Some off-roading and somewhat of a hike to get to it, but you can "cuddle" with this tree if you want to, no fences or access restrictions, just an incredibly massive living thing, but no way to capture the true size or volume by any photograph taken from the ground.

We took a lot of cold weather gear "just in case", but it turned out to be totally unnecessary and added a lot of bulk to the packed cargo area.

Arya had a grand time, sleeping quietly for 4 hours until we reached Three Rivers, but then woke up and immediately needed to move forward and assume the role of co-pilot, with her nose going crazy with all the new forest smells. We took a day to go further North to Hume Lake, but returned to our campsite at the end of the day. At Hume, Arya rocketed into the cold water to play and fetch sticks; note the wake she generated in her urgent need to get to the stick ASAP. She never showed any signs of getting cold, but did climb up on a warm rock afterward to dry off.

The last pic is only showing about 1/2 the width of the massive sequoia at the base, and it's nearly the same diameter all the way to the top, no taper.

(All pics are clickable to open a larger, higher-res image.)

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
2001 - 2020 of 2102 Posts