Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spoke with several Colorado people about this and was hoping we could see what would work best for everybody. There are some free public ranges, like Pawnee Grasslands. Depending on how many want to come I am a member of a range in Ramah (Near Kiowa) but I have a limit of how many I can take. Suggestions on time and place?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Pawnee works for me. Also Keystone has a free public range with a proper backstop (something Pawnee generally lacks). I'm willing to go where ever we need to make it work for everyone.

I need to check my calendar to see what weekends I have open. I'll post back here when I do.

Thanks for taking the initiative! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
It looks like Saturday, July 2nd is my first weekend day not taken by something. I may be able to make other dates but that is the earliest one that definitely works for me.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I like this idea. Thanks for getting it going.
We're pretty booked for most of the summer already, but I will keep tabs here to see if there's any chance we could get in on this.

Thanks, Vandy.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are Sunday's okay for people. I have to work every other Saturday and I don't know which ones I am working until the end of the previous month.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Are Sunday's okay for people. I have to work every other Saturday and I don't know which ones I am working until the end of the previous month.
Sundays will generally work for me.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Sundays are OK by me!

What kind of back stop does Keystone?... might bring out the AR50.
They have three spots up there. The first one is caged in and for police only. The next one is the pistol range which is where my pics were taken. Next to it is a rifle range. I'm not sure of the yardage but I don't think the rifle side is 100 yards. They do have picnic tables set up which can be used as a rest. The backstops are pretty high as it is cut into the side of a mountain. The one thing I don't have are target stands. I do have some decent sized boxes and self adhesive shoot-n-c targets I can bring.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sundays are OK by me!

What kind of back stop does Keystone?... might bring out the AR50.
One day we can shoot at my range, we have a high power area for .50 BMG that is 600 yards out! I don't think the keystone can do .50 BMG because the back stop is not thick enough. I am assuming on this.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
One day we can shoot at my range, we have a high power area for .50 BMG that is 600 yards out! I don't think the keystone can do .50 BMG because the back stop is not thick enough. I am assuming on this.
Well the backstop is the side of a dug out mountain so there are no issues there. The range is also self-regulated meaning no range master, no fees and only the most basic of rules posted. I think it would be OK accept you may scare the hell out of some other folks. I've only been there twice and both times there was a father with a son there shooting .22's. The .50 might be a little inappropriate to the innocent bystanders. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Thanks for getting this together Vandy.

Sundays work fine for me, but I'm pretty booked up through July 2nd. Any time after that (except for Summit week) works for me. :)

The range is also self-regulated meaning no range master, no fees and only the most basic of rules posted.
Music to my ears. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the keystone idea. We can shoot a little then maybe hit a trail!!!

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
That would be fun. If we do this in July or later, there's a chance that Red Cone, Webster Pass, and Radical Hill might be open. Those are all great trails right up the road from Keystone. :)

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know there is one in Breckinridge that you get to from peak 10.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That would be fun. If we do this in July or later, there's a chance that Red Cone, Webster Pass, and Radical Hill might be open. Those are all great trails right up the road from Keystone. :)
I would love to Red Cone or Webster Pass but I assume those will not be open until very very late July or August. The snow pack was 150%-200% this year so I know it will take a long time. From what I have heard you do not do those until the pack is gone for fear of falling off the edge and dieing!:mecry:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I would love to Red Cone or Webster Pass but I assume those will not be open until very very late July or August. The snow pack was 150%-200% this year so I know it will take a long time. From what I have heard you do not do those until the pack is gone for fear of falling off the edge and dieing!:mecry:
Those two are gated off by the forest service so I assume they won't open them unless they're passable. Pike and San Isabel National Forests Cimarron and Comanche National Grasslands- Alerts & Notices

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Cannot make it... leaving for the Sand Dunes down South. Run off should be heavy...
If you don't mind, can you let us know what the conditions were like when you get back? I'm headed down there the 17th-19th for a trip over Medano and Hayden passes and am curious how bad the water crossings might be on Medano.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts