Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I bring a lot, as I near senior citizenship, I tend to bring more :D
Plus I have a lot of new gear this year I am going to try out, so no doubt I will weed back a bit next time.
And that chuckbox takes up a lotta room, I am thinking about getting a custom one built over the winter that is made out of aluminum, and smaller.
The dimensions on this one could be cut down some.
Plus I am hauling enough gear for two people for my upcoming vacation.

Alubox pantry on the bottom, my Bad Bag duffle bag (we will cram hers somewhere), camera backpack, tripod & case, and Outback Porta-Privy.
I have the Nemo Heliopolis, but I did not have good luck trying to set it up yesterday, but I am going to pack it anyways, and maybe with more room out in the wild, we can get it setup.
Also hard to see are two Eezi-Awn K9 medium stainless steel camping tables strapped to the side of the fridge.
Best tables I have ran across so far.

Great American Camp Chair in the bottom green bag, Coleman lantern stand, maroon stuff sack for the footmat that goes under the roof top tents ladder, and the Katanaboy saw for firewood.
The chuckbox, Renogy 100 watt solar panel, Blue Ridge Chair Works chair, Big Kahuna 12v shower, and 7 gallon water container.

National Luna Weekender 50 fridge/freezer (stays in the rig full time), kind of buried to the left of the fridge are two Aluboxes, one for Goal Zero LED lanterns, two propane lanterns, and the bigger Alubox on the bottom has towels, tent stakes, several Coleman propane cylinders, and other misc. stuff.
Also the Pett toilet and cedar stand you stand on in the shower is in the black case on top of the Alubox.

Another view form the previous picture.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I started out using rigid containers (big Pelican cases, clear poly "storage containers", etc.) but eventually abandoned them and went to using soft-sided bags of various sizes. The problem with any rigid container is that it will never be packed to 100% volumetric capacity, so the contents will perpetually rattle and shake and bang into each other, especially during rough offroading. Additionally, the hard containers will slip and slide around unless they are all meticulously strapped down, which makes quick access impossible. Finally, when not in the vehicle, the rigid containers waste storage space in the garage. When empty, all the bags can be nested inside each other, and the total storage volume required is only as big as the biggest bag.

I now use an assortment of various sized nylon and canvas bags: duffle bags, sports bags, military bags of all sizes, etc. Each bag is size-selected to hold a full compliment of specific equipment: recovery gear, stove + fuel, food, basic clothing, foul-weather gear, cooking utensils, hot-water shower system, firearms & ammo, etc.

Once the bags are packed, they are carefully "fitted" into the cargo area, jigsaw-puzzle style, so that nothing can move, and so that there is no wasted space, as every cubic inch of space is "filled".

This worked great during the '17 Summit; all the overlanding equipment stayed in the FJ during all the trail runs, nothing moved or rattled around, and even over the roughest terrain the only interior sound was the sloshing of water in the 5 gal Scepter can, and the wild clanging and banging of the Firestik antenna against every point at the rear of the vehicle. (DO NOT use an antenna spring if you are running extremely rough trails!!)

I'll never go back to using rigid containers.

(In the following photos, the pink insulated lunch bag and the binocular case are NOT in their "stowed" locations. The FJ was packed for 2 weeks camping for 2 adults: 2X Scepter 5 gal containers, ARB fridge, recovery gear, clothing, foul-weather gear, sleeping bags, multiple pairs of shoes and boots, Zodi shower, liquid-fuel stove, cooking utensils, food, laptop, maps & books, 2 folding chairs, ARB compressor, etc. Once everything was in place, there was plenty of clearance overhead so there was an unobstructed view out the back.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,140 Posts
I was just thinking I've got some pics that fit this description. Now I know where to post them!

During my recent trip I had to consolidate 3 people and 2 vehicles worth of camping gear all into the FJC when my brother blew his diff 800 miles from home.

I don't have good pics of the roof rack loaded down but it proved invaluable, I was so glad I left room on it for our gear before leaving for the trip. I thought about putting a solar panel on the unused space but have since changed my mind. I will leave the front of the rack open for "emergencies".

Getting a little off topic but another complete life-saver during the trip was the Plano all weather hard case on my roof rack. It allowed me to keep all my recovery gear and spare parts from taking up room in the cargo area and still have quick access to it all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started out using rigid containers (big Pelican cases, clear poly "storage containers", etc.) but eventually abandoned them and went to using soft-sided bags of various sizes. The problem with any rigid container is that it will never be packed to 100% volumetric capacity, so the contents will perpetually rattle and shake and bang into each other, especially during rough offroading. Additionally, the hard containers will slip and slide around unless they are all meticulously strapped down, which makes quick access impossible. Finally, when not in the vehicle, the rigid containers waste storage space in the garage. When empty, all the bags can be nested inside each other, and the total storage volume required is only as big as the biggest bag.
The nice thing about the Aluboxes I use they have no wasted space, plus they are waterproof.
They get set outside of the rig, so getting stuff out of them is easy.
And storing them at home they are built to stack and interlock with the corners, and they strap very well in the rig.
At home the gear stays in them year long, no need to unpack them.

I have also used the mil-spec ECS cases in the past, but they being roto-molded, they have a lot of wasted space being so thick.

I was just thinking I've got some pics that fit this description. Now I know where to post them!
I did not see a thread either, thought it was time to make one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use a combo of rigid and soft. I like to leave my rear seat up to use for misc space or a potential passenger/pet.

I have 3 Plano 1919 cases that go on the roof rack that have lightweight items in them. I hate clutter so the more I can have out of the cab, the better. So far no issues with wind, dust or water. Also have an Rtic Cooler and smaller hard Plano case as a chuck box that goes inside. I have some small tool bags for other misc camping equipment and some large duffle bags for other mid sized stuff.

I also put a 4 gallon Rotopax up on the roof at times along with a shovel. When I have a set of traction boards they will probably go on top of the Rotopax, not sure yet. I also throw collapsing camp chairs on the roof but have some rigid ones that go in the cargo area. Propane and wood goes on the roof, too many elevation changes here and the propane bottles can let off extra pressure in the cab.

I have it set up this way so I can quickly load or unload. I can easily sleep in the back or grab whichever tent I brought. Taking out 1 box, the cooler and 2 medium duffle bags is no big deal.

The plano boxes also doubles as mini prep spaces until I find the right table set up. I don't like the one I have so I don't bring it. If it's a quick stop we'll sit on the box and cooler instead of getting the chairs off the roof.

One other point is that I strap everything down in the back in case of an accident or rollover. I've seen accidents where people were injured from contents fying around. Limiting the number of bags, totes, etc makes this easier.

I'll try to find a pic but I'm not sure I have one.

Closet pic I can find is one with just two cases on the roof. The third case goes sideways across the front but it's obviously not in these pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The nice thing about the Aluboxes I use they have no wasted space, plus they are waterproof.
They get set outside of the rig, so getting stuff out of them is easy.
My point about ANY rigid container is that, unless they are packed absolutely 100% full, they "waste space" in that their external volume is fixed, but they are typically not 100% filled, so whatever internal volume is not filled is wasted volume in the cargo bay.

A soft bag collapses to just enclose the contents, with zero wasted internal/external volume.

Rattling/squeaking/vibrating stuff in a rigid container drives me nuts.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My point about ANY rigid container is that, unless they are packed absolutely 100% full, they "waste space" in that their external volume is fixed, but they are typically not 100% filled, so whatever internal volume is not filled is wasted volume in the cargo bay.

A soft bag collapses to just enclose the contents, with zero wasted internal/external volume.

Rattling/squeaking/vibrating stuff in a rigid container drives me nuts.
I just crank the stereo :D

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Here's mine from last years trip across Mojave Road. Bags with clothing etc were added to the top and everything cinched down with a cargo net. I'm still looking for a better way to transport spare fluids. Maybe an AluBox on the roof rack?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's mine from last years trip across Mojave Road. Bags with clothing etc were added to the top and everything cinched down with a cargo net. I'm still looking for a better way to transport spare fluids. Maybe an AluBox on the roof rack?
Looks great.
An Alubox or similar one would certainly get the fluids out of the rig and keep them spill proof on the roof.
You can now get nice dividers too that you customize for the Aluboxes.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yeah, I bring a lot, as I near senior citizenship, I tend to bring more

Plus I have a lot of new gear this year I am going to try out, so no doubt I will weed back a bit next time.
And that chuckbox takes up a lotta room, I am thinking about getting a custom one built over the winter that is made out of aluminum, and smaller.
The dimensions on this one could be cut down some.
Plus I am hauling enough gear for two people for my upcoming vacation.

Alubox pantry on the bottom, my Bad Bag duffle bag (we will cram hers somewhere), camera backpack, tripod & case, and Outback Porta-Privy.
I have the Nemo Heliopolis, but I did not have good luck trying to set it up yesterday, but I am going to pack it anyways, and maybe with more room out in the wild, we can get it setup.
Also hard to see are two Eezi-Awn K9 medium stainless steel camping tables strapped to the side of the fridge.
Best tables I have ran across so far.

Great American Camp Chair in the bottom green bag, Coleman lantern stand, maroon stuff sack for the footmat that goes under the roof top tents ladder, and the Katanaboy saw for firewood.
The chuckbox, Renogy 100 watt solar panel, Blue Ridge Chair Works chair, Big Kahuna 12v shower, and 7 gallon water container.

National Luna Weekender 50 fridge/freezer (stays in the rig full time), kind of buried to the left of the fridge are two Aluboxes, one for Goal Zero LED lanterns, two propane lanterns, and the bigger Alubox on the bottom has towels, tent stakes, several Coleman propane cylinders, and other misc. stuff.
Also the Pett toilet and cedar stand you stand on in the shower is in the black case on top of the Alubox.

Another view form the previous picture.
Love the chuck box. Have you considered hauling it on a hitch tray? That would open up more interior space?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,071 Posts
My cargo area is limited, 2/3 of the space given up to my dog cage, the fridge/freezer takes up the rest. The 'dead' space to the side of the cage houses my compressor with a shelf above which I can access from the front and is useful for light stuff like a jacket or buoyancy aids etc. After trying various soft and hard cases, I found a 40mm Ammo box worked best to the right side and stores some of my recovery kit (So it is accessible even if I can't open the rear door). The right side is kept low so I can use the rear quarter panel for visibility (very useful at junctions as I'm on the wrong side)

The false floor gives me room underneath for a 40 litre water bag on the left and camp cooking stuff on the right with a tool roll.

I'm not very good at making stuff so all a bit rough but functional.

If I'm only stopping somewhere one night I sleep on the rear seat, and Zero on the front passenger so everything else is stashed clear of those areas, I have a 'dry store' food box in the passenger footwell which gives Zero a bigger bed area and fits well. I then use 'packing cubes' for my own kit. These work really well, I can use one for everyday change items, one for less frequent and one for 'just in case' kit and then slot them into voids.

I too used to use Pelican Cases but have also used dry bags for years and love them.
@Iconic_ what size is that box on your rack, looks a good solution for a low profile box for stuff that doesn't work so well in stuff bags.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
My cargo area is limited, 2/3 of the space given up to my dog cage, the fridge/freezer takes up the rest. The 'dead' space to the side of the cage houses my compressor with a shelf above which I can access from the front and is useful for light stuff like a jacket or buoyancy aids etc. After trying various soft and hard cases, I found a 40mm Ammo box worked best to the right side and stores some of my recovery kit (So it is accessible even if I can't open the rear door). The right side is kept low so I can use the rear quarter panel for visibility (very useful at junctions as I'm on the wrong side)

The false floor gives me room underneath for a 40 litre water bag on the left and camp cooking stuff on the right with a tool roll.

I'm not very good at making stuff so all a bit rough but functional.

If I'm only stopping somewhere one night I sleep on the rear seat, and Zero on the front passenger so everything else is stashed clear of those areas, I have a 'dry store' food box in the passenger footwell which gives Zero a bigger bed area and fits well. I then use 'packing cubes' for my own kit. These work really well, I can use one for everyday change items, one for less frequent and one for 'just in case' kit and then slot them into voids.

I too used to use Pelican Cases but have also used dry bags for years and love them.

@Iconic_ what size is that box on your rack, looks a good solution for a low profile box for stuff that doesn't work so well in stuff bags.

Looks awesome. Very organized.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love the chuck box. Have you considered hauling it on a hitch tray? That would open up more interior space?
Thanks, that is a possibility, but it would have to be completely covered to keep dust out of it.
It is not dust/water tight at all.

PS, here are a few pics of it too at home.

·
Premium Member
7,140 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
5,613 Posts
Wow - you want to see mine when it's loaded up for family camping...
Back seat is for 2 kids & 2 dogs, but the rear footwells get filled with airbeds & bedding in bags.
The back contains a big icebox, rigid containers for kitchen gear and recovery gear, and a bunch of soft bags for everything else, and the tent. It goes right to the roof in the back and is all tied down with a cargo net & ratchet straps. I don't have a roof rack, but I strap my maxtrax, hi-lift, and shovel to the spare tire with ratchet straps.
Passenger's footwell often has a bag of firewood and there will often be a bag over the center console and cup holders.

I don't think I have a photo inside the FJ, but I'll remember next time we camp in winter.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts