Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making plans for our June run and I want a dutch oven. One of the guys last year had one and made a cobbler in it that was better than anything mama used to make! (sorry, mom) :jester:

Anyway, I'm looking at one at Bass Pro that is under $100. Any suggestions/experience? Any "must cook" recipes to share?

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Making plans for our June run and I want a dutch oven. One of the guys last year had one and made a cobbler in it that was better than anything mama used to make! (sorry, mom) :jester:

Anyway, I'm looking at one at Bass Pro that is under $100. Any suggestions/experience? Any "must cook" recipes to share?
Get a lodge brand! Sportsman's warehouse has a huge selection if you have one in Vegas. I think you can do a lot better than $100 :rocker:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought the Lodge 5 quart.

Dutch Ovens

They have them with or without feet. I chose one large enough to cook a chicken in.

You can find them used on ebay for better prices. I got mine at Gander Mountain new and it was not expensive, something like less than $50.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
X3 on Lodge. They'll last forever, and once properly seasoned the performance can't be beat. They claim to come pre-seasoned. No. That comes with a lot of use and gentle cleaning. The interior of mine is better than Teflon. Keep it oiled between use! Never scrub them out. Mine has never seen soap. Just a gentle wipe with a nylon Dobie pad and water, then dry and re-oil inside and out.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Stupid question: I thought Dutch oven lids have a lip around that is there to hold a shallow layer of coals so that the heat comes from above and below at the same time. The photo above shows a sloped lid. What am I missing?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stupid question: I thought Dutch oven lids have a lip around that is there to hold a shallow layer of coals so that the heat comes from above and below at the same time. The photo above shows a sloped lid. What am I missing?
The one that HazComm had on our trip was like that. He literally buried it in the coals of the fire.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,245 Posts
Lodge is a great brand and a lot of people like the Camp Chef ones too. The oven with out the feet and the domed lid like in the photo is a Dutch Oven and that style is normally used in the house as it can be set on a burner or put in the oven and even hung over a fire. The ones with legs also have a flat lid with a rim/lip on them and are used over charcoal hence why they have the feet and the lid with rim is flat so it holds the charcoal. Some people with the regular style make stands or use lid holders under their ovens and that lets them put them over charcoal. The lids are usually interchangeable between the regular and camp also so you could just purchase an extra lid.

For recipes just do a search for dutch ovens, dutch oven recipes, or dutch oven societies. There are thousands of recipes out there. There may be a dutch oven group or society in your area too. The Boy Scouts have recipes on their sites along with many other sites and forums too. Lodge sells cookbooks and Amazon or other places have a bunch of books. Some of the best cookbooks are the small ones made for fund raising such as from churches, Scout Troops, clubs etc.

Here's a good forum. www.camp-cook.com :: Index

They have info on how to season your cast iron and keep it in good shape. Information on refurbishing old cast iron, even rusty, to be reused. Tips and tricks. Recipes. They also run the tiny teardrops and travel trailers site with info on cargo trailer to camper conversions, homemade trailers, etc. The link is at the top of the page.

Using the ovens over coals on tables or on the ground works good. Another way to use them that works nice too is with a Volcano stove. I have used them on my older non-collapsible charcoal versions, both the large and small, and they work great. I have the new collapsible one with the propane setup, but haven't used it yet. I mostly used them for beans where I just sat them in the Volcano and let them cook, but you could do them with coals on the lids for other stuff like cobblers and breads or whatever you needed to have top heat to brown things. Volcano grills

I have some recipes and cookbooks saved on my computer, but some are PDF files that I don't know how to post and some are word files that somehow converted to PDF files and on my computer I have to open wordpad or something like that to see them now and the Adobe reader won't open them so I'm not sure how to post those either. If someone knows how to do this, I'd be glad to try and post them. I could also look up certain recipes for you and copy them possibly.

I grew up around cast iron skillets and grills but didn't see a dutch oven until later on. I used to help my Nephews' Scout Leader with their cookouts. He had been doing Dutch Oven cookouts with them for around 35 years at the time. Man that guy could cook. Not much different than cooking in an oven at home, except for learning how to regulate the temperature and times with charcoal.

Some other little things that are nice are either lining the ovens with foil, parchment, or the store bought liners when cooking some things especially if they are sticky as this makes clean up a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Some do come as you say, and the one that I have used has a recessed lid with lip to lay coals on top. I think the slopes lid is more for home use instead f in the bush?!

That's what I would get if I buy my own instead of borrow! Recessed lid for the bush! Gotta have heat from the top IMO :rocker:

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Sweet! I have one just about 2 miles from the house. Will check it out! Those are pre-seasoned, right? :cheers:
They claim they are but PDX mentioned above that they really aren't...doesn't hurt to do it again I guess :rocker:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW BG! Thanks for all that information! I grew up around the old cast iron skillet too. Can't even count all the fried chicken, okra and green tomatoes that came from that thing when I was a kid! :cheers: we just never had a dutch oven. Honestly, the one on our trip last year was the first one that I had ever seen used in real life. I will look at some of the classes and such since I am just down the street from Sportsmans. I love getting my hands on a good cookbook, but I also love hearing what others are doing outside of "the book".

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,245 Posts
Yea Nick that's why I mentioned the Scouts and the fund raiser type cookbooks from the Dutch Oven groups. They usually use the recipes that they make in their ovens from all the members to make those books so it's like talking to a group of people using their Dutch Ovens and then getting a different recipe from each one. (Edit: I just remembered the name I was looking for, Community Cookbooks. The ones put together by a church group, or ladies sewing group, or the local firemen, etc.)

I've had some good food from these cookouts. That Scout Master used to make a complete Thanksgiving dinner every year for a fund raise and then when the sweet corn would be ready they'd have one too. He made turkey, chicken, beef, stew and beans, different veggies, all kinds of cakes and desserts too. Breakfast a lot of times was a Mountain Man mix in the oven of bacon and or sausage cooked up with hashbrowns, onions, peppers, cheese, etc. and then having eggs scrambled and poured on top.

That campcook site has some compilations of recipes from members and a big section broken down into parts like breakfast, dinner, main dish, sides, etc. There are also some links to free downloads of old Dutch Oven cookbooks or recipes. All of these were the type I mentioned above.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,245 Posts
Here's the bean recipe I've made a few times in my oven. It was a recipe a guy I worked with used to make for us at dinners. You can play with the amounts of sugar and ketchup a bit to your taste. I also added more meat and onions at times too. Quick and easy to make.

Ricky's Beans
This is a bean recipe from a guy I used to work with. Simple to make and tasty.

1lb Hamburger
1lb Bacon
1 large onion
1 small bottle of ketchup
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
3/4 Cup White Sugar
4 Cans of Different Beans or equivalent in fresh cooked beans, (lima, kidney, white, red, etc.)
salt, pepper, garlic powder and seasoned salt.

Dice onion and add to the Hamburger along with a bit of salt, pepper, garlic powder and seasoned salt. Cook up the hamburger until done and drain. Cut up bacon into small pieces and fry it until done, but not crispy. Drain.

In a pot, mix the ketchup, beans, brown sugar and sugar. Add bacon and hamburger to this and cook over low heat until thoroughly heated. Enjoy.

These also taste better when reheated the next day.

Funny story about these beans. I was on a trip up to visit my Dad in North Idaho and I had planned on cooking some stuff while I was up there so I had my cooler stocked and I also had my camping gear with the Volcano Stove and my 12quart deep dutch oven. I was parked in his driveway and I set up my stove and cooked up the meat and onions and then added everything to the dutch oven, set it in the volcano and let it cook slowly. All of this was sitting in the back of my pickup. Some of Dad's friends stopped by throughout the day and they kept mentioning that they could smell something cooking that really smelled good and they wondered where it was coming from. Dad finally told them I had something cooking in the back of my truck. I made 3 batches of those beans in 2 days after Dad tried them and then started feeding his friends.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Just a tip for cooking biscuits on a camp fire with one. Use 2 pie tins. put one in upside down on the bottom (INSIDE THE OVEN) and the other right side up on top of the first. This will help keep the bottom of the biscuits from burning. Put oven on top of coals and coals on the lid.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Green chili pork or red chili beef with corn are 2 great no brainer camp recipes.
Nom nom nom....:)

1 - 20 of 242 Posts