Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

221 - 240 of 242 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,063 Posts
Here's the link to the 3rd edition of the cookbook from the Camp-Cook site in PDF and one other form. They have lots of Dutch Oven info and recipes over there and their sister site is TnTTT which is a site filled with info on building camp trailers from the teardrop style to the converted cargo trailer and a little bit of everything in between.

Okay so the link is now working and there is also an extra one included too.

http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6968

http://blogicalthoughts.com/rimrock/campfire_cooking_3rd_edition.pdf

http://blogicalthoughts.com/cookbooks.html

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Petromax ft3 used in a COBB oven

porc in a layer boiled 1,5 hrs in a marinade refined with Bourbon whisky :wink

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here's the link to the 3rd edition of the cookbook from the Camp-Cook site in PDF and one other form.
Thanks for the links, downloading them for my Kindle now!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,063 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,063 Posts
The pictures look great. Have you tried any of those recipes yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately no. I haven't been camping or done anything with my ovens in quite awhile now.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,063 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,063 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,063 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,063 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Cola Beef

Beef 12 hours in a BBQ marinade, onions, onionsoup, pepper, Cola (1 litre) sour cherries : two and a half hours on fire

·
Registered
41 Posts

Check out this beast- my customer is a pipe foundry and once a year they pour cookery. This thing is huge and heavy. Never used it! Paid $30 or $40 for it.

I just dragged it out- gonna put it to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Just found this thread, I know it's kind of old but dutch oven cooking never gets old.

My experience - 40+ years with the Boy Scouts both as a scout and an adult leader. Lodge is the only brand I would buy. The one I've got now is at least 25 years old and still going strong. A good quality dutch oven will easily become a family heirloom, as it was in "the old days", passed down from one generation to the next - as long as you take care of it. One caveat - I DO NOT recommend buying aluminum dutch ovens. If you get them too hot they will warp and melt....ask me how I know!!!

What I used to do when I was a scoutmaster was have a one day event for the brand new scouts every fall. I'd have the older scouts teaching them about knot tying and all the other scout skills they would need to know. While they were doing that I would fire up the charcoal for my dutch oven. I'd dump in a can of Crisco - not the little pint size can, I'd use the quart size, and let it melt in the oven. While that was happening I'd get the 3 or 4 cans of refrigerator biscuits I brought with me - the type where the little fat guy with the chef's hat jumps out when you open the can up...or the generic brand the supermarket sells. I'd cut each biscuit into quarters then roll them into a ball shape. When the crisco melted and got hot enough the dough balls would go into the oil and fry. When they were brown and starting to get crispy they came out of the oil into a brown paper grocery bag containing cinnamon and sugar for a good shake. Viola, donut holes. It taught the new scouts a couple things. There's more to eat while camping than hot dogs and beans; you can cook something really delicious without using their family's electric or gas stove and you can eat pretty cheap in the outdoors. I think the canned biscuits and crisco cost all of about $3 to make several dozen donut holes. And, who doesn't like donuts anyway! As an added benefit the crisco helps in keeping your dutch oven seasoned.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
My experience - 40+ years with the Boy Scouts both as a scout and an adult leader...
Love my dutch oven! Im leaving straight from work today to go camping all weekend with the local Boy Scout troop, and the first thing I did was look up something to cook in my dutch oven for dinner tonight. I settled on 'one pot chicken pot-pie' and pre-prepped everything last night.

one pot chicken pot-pie

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,063 Posts
Just found this thread, I know it's kind of old but dutch oven cooking never gets old.

My experience - 40+ years with the Boy Scouts both as a scout and an adult leader. Lodge is the only brand I would buy. The one I've got now is at least 25 years old and still going strong. A good quality dutch oven will easily become a family heirloom, as it was in "the old days", passed down from one generation to the next - as long as you take care of it. One caveat - I DO NOT recommend buying aluminum dutch ovens. If you get them too hot they will warp and melt....ask me how I know!!!

What I used to do when I was a scoutmaster was have a one day event for the brand new scouts every fall. I'd have the older scouts teaching them about knot tying and all the other scout skills they would need to know. While they were doing that I would fire up the charcoal for my dutch oven. I'd dump in a can of Crisco - not the little pint size can, I'd use the quart size, and let it melt in the oven. While that was happening I'd get the 3 or 4 cans of refrigerator biscuits I brought with me - the type where the little fat guy with the chef's hat jumps out when you open the can up...or the generic brand the supermarket sells. I'd cut each biscuit into quarters then roll them into a ball shape. When the crisco melted and got hot enough the dough balls would go into the oil and fry. When they were brown and starting to get crispy they came out of the oil into a brown paper grocery bag containing cinnamon and sugar for a good shake. Viola, donut holes. It taught the new scouts a couple things. There's more to eat while camping than hot dogs and beans; you can cook something really delicious without using their family's electric or gas stove and you can eat pretty cheap in the outdoors. I think the canned biscuits and crisco cost all of about $3 to make several dozen donut holes. And, who doesn't like donuts anyway! As an added benefit the crisco helps in keeping your dutch oven seasoned.
A gal I worked with had me stop and pick some stuff up for her at her Mom's place one day and when I did she was using the biscuit dough just like that only she had a tiny cutter and was making full sized donuts out of the biscuits along with the holes. I got a couple fresh out of the oil and bag of sugar. Very good.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Goulash in dark beer :bigthumb: even when it's raining you can cook outside

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,063 Posts

221 - 240 of 242 Posts