Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Level or lift???

6K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  FJDave 
#1 ·
Ok, ya'll. I've had my FJ for 2 weeks now. Done a few mods and adding up a list of more. Now: should I level the FJ for everyday driving and looks; or save up a few more (thousand) pennies and lift it? I've searched the forum and came up with a few leads, but not answers. Mine is 2wd, most of the info I found was 4wd tech. I hate to sound like a newb, but I am! What to do?

#2 ·
i had mine not 72 hours and had it leveled...less then 2 weeks later, it was up 6"! not that i would say go that extreme, but if lifting it is a concideration, why pay to level it, then pay more, twice, to lift it? i would say just save a little more, and lift it..even if you are just going 3"..the majority here have 3", 2wd, and 4wd, and have accomplished more then im sure they ever would!! JMO

#3 ·
I wouldn't spend the money lifting a 4X2 unless you aren't going to wheel it. I'll explain. If you are going to wheel it, whether it's lifted or not, at some point you are going to NEED 4X4. If you want it for mainly looks and occasional runs in the light stuff, beach, light muddin', etc. then a level lift might be all you need... go ahead and toss on some 285's while your at it.

#4 ·
Being practical, I'd like to level it. Either with spacers or some second-hand 4wd suspension parts. I will be on road 90% of the time and may occaisionally "soft-road", so a 3"+ lift would look great, but with no real benefit. Not practical or inexpensive. I just love the way an FJ looks lifted. I'm not crazy about the nose dive look I have now. That's really what's buggin' me.

#5 ·
I have a stock suspension off a 4WD FJ. It handles pretty good. But I'm still slapping my skids on all kinds of stuff. If I were you, I'd get the 3" lift and larger tires. That will give your skids a definite advantage over my banged-up metal.

However, for graded dirt roads and street driving, I'd just go with a set of (usually free) stock 4X4 front springs and shocks. Or, you could get the off-road or TT package with the Bilstein shocks (my setup right now...these could cost a little bit).

But you can still handle easy-semi moderate trails just fine with a 3" lift and good AT tires....just like the "big brother" 4X4 rigs out there :D

#11 ·
To the 2nd power,5x5! Them were some mean lookin' shoes on that thing... I am running 265-75-16 KOs right now. I had 285-70-17s on my Titan that was traded. I don't know if I can move up on tire size and lift it right now. The lift is sounding better and better....:devil:

#9 ·
I personally am getting a 3" RC lift as I also have a 4x2 FJ and wasnt sure if I should level it or lift it. I do though go offroading through some thick stuff but it does make the car look alot better.

P.S. a Rough Country 3" lift is $300 off of AutoTruck Toys but you can probably find a better deal

#12 ·
I have the 3" lift, OME. LOVE it and I am running on 285s so I have some nice shoes too! I love the ride, the look and the ability.... so..... I guess it just depends on what you personally want to achieve.

#13 ·
I Like the overall look of the Fj lifted! With a 4x2 I would do a 3" lift and this will make your rig Baaad Arse! 6" would be a waste of money without 4x4 IMPO.

#14 ·
LOL.......Welcome to one of the forums great debates......

It's all in what you plan to do with your truck.....The RC lift is a full lift of your truck but in essence it is still a spacer lift of the front end. I got my level lift from Hank at Extremetrucktoys and I am more than happy with the new stance of my truck. I am not a big off-roader but I do enjoy the odd logging road and sand pit playtime.....The level maintains your stock ride and reduces the nose dive under hard braking.....I think it comes down to what you want and what your budget will allow.....

My other suggestion would be to hit the search function and start reading cuz believe me there are hours and hours of reading debating spacer vs spring lift.

#17 ·
Do the 3" lift with adjustable coilovers up front and get some 285/70/17 MTR tires. Your gonna need all the added traction you can get in the really soft stuff. I am running a 3" lift with Mud tires and loving it. I also have LSD traction as well as a rear locker. I have gone thru some pretty deep water and mud and have been OK thus far. I would also hook up with some forum members and see if they will let you joy ride their rig around the block to test drive all the options out there in lift kits. Good Luck.:wave:

#18 ·
Ok, after the day I had today, all I gotta say is LIFT IT! Period. No messing around. Just get it up in the air and get 'er done.

Man, I HAMMERED my underpinnings today. the K member, the bling plate (that took a helluva hit and is bent to crap now....), all of it got hammered. No real damage other than the skid. But man was it fun!!

#20 ·
It's an either or thing unless you want to lift the rear. Both methods will level your 4x2....But together you will add too much. The 4x4 OEM is the way to go....Added advantage is that if you check the "for sale" ads here you may find a set cheap....

#23 ·
I'm I leta to say lift!

#24 ·
If your thinking about it, you might as well lift it, because you will eventually. I just finished upgrading my level lift to a 3" lift. I don't really regret the level lift, because it wasn't that expensive, but in reality I should have lifted my FJ long ago and the level lift just postponed the inevitable.

#29 ·
The following is something that I seldom see mentioned when in discussions of "leveling." The rear is raised for a reason -- to accomodate the load. So, if you "level" it unloaded and then put a load in the rear, the rear will "sag." If you lift it, lift it the same height front and back. Three inches seems to be the best height, because it apparently does not cause any geometric suspension problems that require other adjustments to avoid premature front end wear but provides sufficient lift to make the FJ an even better off-road performer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.