Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an off-shoot of the thread I started in the 4X4 section (because the 4X2 section was just a gleam in someone's eye). I was lucky enough to get MudLovingFJ to call me. He told me to come over, and we would put the stock 4X4 springs/shocks on the front of my FJ. Well, we didn, and the truck is level now! The cost, you may ask? Well, the cost was gas (to drive there and back) and time (about 3 hours to do the swap). If you look in the For Sale section, many 4X4 folks that are getting lifts give away their stock stuff.

Before swap:

After swap:

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Geez, what a great idea, Dave!!

About how many inches of front lift was yielded out of that swap??

And, you're right . . . . there's gotta be literally thousands of sets OEM 4x4 front coils and shocks laying around this forum after all the aftermarket lift kits have been installed. Matter of fact, anyone in the southeast Georgia/north Florida region is more than welcome to come by and pick up mine. They're yours for the taking. :)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I added a leveling spacer and was wondering why I only looked as high as stock 4x4. This raised the front end about 2 inches or so. I drove next to another forum member with a leveling kit on a 4X4 coil over and his front end was higher than mine. Don't get me wrong mine looks great. Just wish it was higher. Now perhaps adding the OEM coils and shocks with a leveling spacer will raise it up even more. Great idea FJDave.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
That is a really cool idea Dave. Kudos!!!!!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I did the same on mine...make sure you have the left coil over on the left side and right coil over on the right side. one is stiffer than the other.

driver side should have a green and yellow marking on the spring and passenger side should have green and grey. everyone on the forum swore there was no difference when i installed mine, well guess what, they have different part numbers and even cost a different price left to right. make sure you dont swap sides like I did its a real PITA!

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
remember...left and right specific front coils

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took FJDAVE's advice also. Got a set of 4x4 springs/shocks from HomeDad for a great price ( free!!! ). Had them installed and levelled my truck out in the front. I got almost 2'' of lift from the 4x4 springs. I didnt take a picture of what it looked like before, but here is one after.

Attachments

·
Registered
718 Posts
no one seems to be checking if they have them installed on the correct side.

driver side should be yellow and green paint on the coil and passenger side should be green and grey. make sure this is what you have or its wrong. the driver side is supposed to be firmer. just trying to help you all out so you dont make the mistake I did.

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
I took FJDAVE's advice also. Got a set of 4x4 springs/shocks from HomeDad for a great price ( free!!! ). Had them installed and levelled my truck out in the front. I got almost 2'' of lift from the 4x4 springs. I didnt take a picture of what it looked like before, but here is one after.
Happy to help a brotha' out!!!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Dave is the man! Great Idea....

1 - 20 of 95 Posts