Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
THe springs are what lift the front...the shocks are different too. So for an optimum ride, do the shocks too. Since you have them out anyway....

·
Registered
373 Posts
THe springs are what lift the front...the shocks are different too. So for an optimum ride, do the shocks too. Since you have them out anyway....
I only got the 4x4 springs...no shocks. I have the 4x2 shocks with 4x4 springs do I need different shocks?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have shocks and springs from my 4X4 FJ with about 5,000 miles on them. I want to sell them, PM me if interested.

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
No, you don't NEED them. Our 4X2 FJs came set up for the street, so the shocks are softer for a smoother ride. The 4X4 shocks are set up for off-road trips, so they are a bit stiffer than the 4X2 shocks. They are the same length. So, with that in mind, it's all about the ride (aka - personal preference).

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
i have springs but no shocks...i'm tryin to figure out if i need the shocks too
If you want the front and rear springs and shocks from a 4x4, you can have them. You're in my neck of the woods (I'm in Richardson/Murphy area), all you have to do is come pick them up. I decided to skip that upgrade and go straight to a lift. (See my signature)

Another member (JoeUser) gave these to me and I'll pass them on.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I sent mine to a young man in Texas...told him to pay shipping and if he could find a used Hi-Lift or something else worth a trade...to just send that to me as our swap.

He said he does not know when he will get them on....he almost did in the DFW Installation Day you guys had recently....

So if someone has a 4x2 and wants both front and rear 4x4 springs to increase their ride height some....get hold of jcphockey16 from Sachse, TX

It will keep him sending them back to me and then having to send them out again...

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have had the 4x4 coil overs in my 4x2 for about 10K miles and they have been great off and on road. my fj sits level except when I put a load or people in the back. offroad with a load I bottom out easily (if you have seen me offroad I drive it like I stole it). I had a set of 4x4 rear coils sitting around so I decided to compare the difference to my stock 4x2 coils and swap them out (I already knew they were different part numbers). tha main difference is that the 4x4 coils have 6 rings in the coils where the 4x2 have 5. the material dia is a bit thicker and overall the 4x4 coils are about 2" longer. this gives the 4x4 coil a stiffer ride and a more progressive spring rate. I put these in the back of my 4x2 along with my already installed 4x4 coil over in the front. Im now sniffing the ground again but I should be able to fix that with some spacers from toytec in the front. overall the ride is much stiffer and responsive, just as it should be. im pleased with this upgrade and I would highly recommend changing out the rear 4x2 springs when changing the front coilovers. put some spacers in the front and ill have about a 2inch lift over stock and a firmer ride...all for under $100.:rawr:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i have a full set of the 4x4 springs if someone wants them.....just send me a UPS or FEDEX mailing label for shipping and they are yours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Everyone,
Just threw on a level kit and full 4x4 Suspension. I'm including some pics.

FYI: The 4X4 Suspension in the rear is different as well and will give you a little lift in the rear just like the front.

Before:

After:

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Very nice! Your VDB is a really cool looking rig. Now just remember to get an alignment and adjust those headlights down! :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have the 4x4 springs in the rear and I have the 4x4 coild in the front. I just replaced the fronts with the adjustable Bilstein C475's on the 2nd clip position and im sitting level. Im also sitting 2" higher than a stock 4x4 in the front. My ride is much improved with less body roll, brake dive, and a stiffer front end. Ill post some pics later but this only cost me about $250 and 4 hours of labor time.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
4x4 upgrade as well..

Very nice rims! I really like the look... BTW, I have never adjusted my headlights and have a 3" lift. They don't appear to need adjusting.

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Mine did. Since he raised just the front, the headlights are pointed upward from where they originally were. If you raised the whole truck, the headlight angle didn't change. Geometry 101.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Got it. I hated Geometry.... Get paid for Calc!

41 - 60 of 95 Posts